Custom Map #4495: Cage of pain. By: tamrin

Started by AutoPost, June 08, 2017, 07:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4495: Cage of pain

Author: tamrin
Size: 256x256

Desc:
This is probably my hardest map :D I am sure u will have much better score than me, cause I have made many mistakes during my gameplay :D good luck

stdout

Hey tamrin!!! So excited to see a new map from you. Can't wait to play it!

tamrin

yea :D I have decided to come back to this cool game :D

stdout

33 downloads, no other scores posted, and your score is over 5 hours.  Ok, diving in!  ;D

tamrin

I think it is possible to do it in 3 hours :D we will see

stdout

I've taken the entire center and am currently working to get that 9x9 square, which must be the next move. Having a terrible time and would kill for a bomber right about now...

stdout

2:26 hours in and I have the 3 berthas. Now it's getting fun  ;D

stdout

Finished just under 3.5 hours. I am certain that some of the CW3 gods can get this under an hour. I may try myself later on now that I know exactly the path to take.

10/10 (would be 11/10 if possible). Thanks for the map, tamrin!

Hurty

2 hours in... got the Center and the 4 squares to the right.

since 1 hour I'm throwing hundreds of blasters in all directions, without progress...
i can't get the guppys (need a terp for that)
can't get the forge without the terp either.

see that i could connect relays to the top, but there is to much creeper.
i also could connect to the little 3x3 island with an emitter on it. but i don't see how to clear that emitter. and then what? without the terp i don't see how to nullifie the next 4 emitters down there...

what am i missing here? it really is a pain...

GoodMorning

Well, you're ahead of me.

So far...
I can get the unlimited-Beam tech immediately before the Spores hit, with some crystal energy left in stock and a second Nullifier building for the pair of Emitters However, this Nullifier is too slow, so what I assume is meant to be the fortress becomes a lake.

I'm not sure why I have a second CN (acquired with the Nullifier), and wonder if I'm supposed to be leaving the unlimited-Collector tech alone.
[close]

That's enough for the moment. This map has a very "twisty invisible tightrope" start.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

stdout

You can't connect the 4 squares to the top without the terp tech.

You can't get the terp until you take the left side.

You can't get the forge until you get the terp.

The forge is "end game" only. This map is played entirely without the forge.

Your next step is

Spoiler
to take the 3x3 square. But you can't do that without ample mortars and sprayers. So your actual next step is to get those from the left hand side. Build wave after wave after wave after wave of blasters, sending them over to the left side until you have cleared enough space for you to fly over and build a quick collector to get those two techs. With those you can finally get down to the 3x3 square and then get the berthas.
[close]

Hurty

Yay, got the berthas. taking the left. thx for the advise ! ;D

tamrin

hah  ;D only three people from 127 downloads :D it seems that this map is my new record :D :D

stdout

Quote from: Hurty on June 12, 2017, 11:10:15 AM
Yay, got the berthas. taking the left. thx for the advise ! ;D

Congratulations!

Once you get the berthas, you can actually
Spoiler
go straight north and connect to the base using a PZ powered relay. That's a nice shortcut to get the terp.
[close]

D0m0nik

Wow certainly is a tricky one! Manages to be tricky until the very end, great to have back and creating new challenges!

I am curious though, how do you test a map that takes you 5 hrs to complete? Do you test it or just design it, publish it and see if you can beat it?