CW3: First mission not working correctly

Started by Monotonical, November 26, 2016, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monotonical

I've got the same issue described in this thread a year ago: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=19824.0

Trying to play the first mission gives me a completely different mission (Same as in the other thread) that doesn't have a key and I can't progress because of this. The game seems to create most of the folders it should be creating but isn't populating them with files.

I'm running the CW3 Steam version on Windows 8.1 and I've tried the fixes described in the previous thread such as renaming (Since it won't let me delete it, stating that the folder isn't empty despite it being empty) the creeperworld3 folder in documents and running the game as admin, none of which seems to work. I've tried mucking about with folder permissions but no luck there either, I haven't had any issues like this with any other games except CW3.

The log gives me this error: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\Blablablap\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\1\story_0"

knucracker

Do a full system reboot, then immediately after rebooting try deleting the Documents\creeperworld3 directory.  If you can't delete the folder prior to a reboot, then something has a file open and locked.  A clean reboot might allow you to get the directory properly cleaned up.

Monotonical

Doesn't work, it still gives me the "The directory is not empty" error when attempting to delete it, happens on any folders inside the creeperworld3 folder too.

I've also tried CHKDSK, which didn't turn up any errors and I tried switching the data directory using gamesettings.xml to a different directory on my SSD, another HDD and a random USB I had lying around. All produced the same undeletable folders without populating them with files and resulted in the same "wrong mission" scenario in-game. I really don't understand what the heck is happening.

knucracker

If there is a folder that can't be deleted it is because some process has an open handle to the folder, or content under the folder.  Or because of access permissions.  Common causes of locked folders, particularly under Documents is cloud backup software or anti-virus software.  Both of those open and scan files in the background.  When they screw up, you can end up with apparently locked folders.

The other main problem is usually permission related.  You run an application as admin for instance, it creates a folder, but you aren't logged in with admin permissions.  So you can't delete the folder.  Since you are running the steam version, the game will inherit whatever system permissions the steam client is running with.

I'd log in as an administrator, then run the steam client and launch the game.  You shouldn't have to mess around with moving the creeperworld3 directory by setting anything in gamesettings.xml.  It ought to be possible to get it to work in the default location.  So I'd just rename your gamesettings.xml file (while the game isn't running) and start with a clean one to eliminate any issues that can be caused from manual editing of that file.  If nothing shakes loose, just private message me and I'll send you a non steam version of the game to eliminate issues with the steam client and access permissions.