Author Topic: Custom Map #2766: The Treasure Chamber  (Read 1382 times)

virgilw

• Administrator
Re: Custom Map #2766: The Treasure Chamber
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
Here's the explanation:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=22791.msg154443#msg154443

Steam has been updated, as have the non steam links (so just redownload to get version 801 if not on steam).

Karsten75

Re: Custom Map #2766: The Treasure Chamber
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 11:04:37 am »
This issue should now be "fixed" for those on Steam and non-Steam users can download the update from here:

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/patches.php

The story is here:

Yes, there is a new 0801 update for CW2.  It's an interesting tale...
In 2012 after the release of version 0497 I apparently fixed a "bug" in the creeper logic related to fields.  That fix was never pushed out in an update.  So the seasons came and went.  At the beginning of 2016 I repackaged CW2 to have a captive runtime.  That was based on the last source tree, so it had this "fix".  This version of CW2 was downloaded by a few folks who had trouble with the old AIR version.

Later in 2016 I released the CW2 anniversary edition.  This was of course based on the latest source, and had this "fix".  Problem is, some maps (maybe 1, maybe 10... I'm not sure I only know of 1) relied on the old behavior, not the fixed behavior. Map "#2766: The Treasure Chamber" is the map that broke.  The reason it broke is because it actually has a tiny flaw in the way the fields are arranged.  They allow creeper to leak out.  But, this only happens with the "fixed" creeper/field logic.  So the author never knew since it worked just fine in the game he had (and nearly everybody else had).

So, since the game spent 99.9% of its life with the flaw, I have restored the flaw.  That ensures that the creeper logic is as it was in version 0497 and all of the existing maps will work as intended.  It isn't a really large problem, since the game's entire history has been with the flaw :)  So, the prudent course was to restore that behavior and stop calling it a flaw.
"Any leftover cabbage can and will be mixed with mayo"
   - Cole's Law