Custom Map #76: Platformer. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, January 10, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #76: Platformer

Author: stewbasic
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Run, jump and blast your way through the creeper in this N inspired CW/platformer mix. Collect blaster, wall jump, nullifier and shield powerups, and contend with emitters, floating mines and the formidable creeper laser. Credits: The bomb script is directly from Virgil's credits level (and other scripts from there were helpful to look at). Character sprite was drawn by my lovely wife.

stewbasic

Link to previous discussion:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14499.0

Unfortunately I had to re-finalize the map before uploading, so the few scores already submitted got lost.

Flabort

Nooooo! I forgot to save partway through!
(made it to the second green circle, should have saved)
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

ThirdParty

Tried the map.  Fought my way to the upper right corner, which was more grueling than fun (is it supposed to be impossible to wall-jump while taking damage? because that's annoying, especially during the left-side climb where damage is nearly inevitable), but I couldn't figure out where to go from there.  I'd hoped that the last switch would give me access to the nullifier tech, but it didn't (unless I'm supposed to fill up the entire world with anti-creeper, but that would take hours, maybe days).

According to the thread it's supposed to be possible to get some sort of super-jump effect using slanted floors.  I experienced no such effect.  (Except when surrounded by anti-creeper, where my character goes hyper and starts flying all over the place.)  Slanted floors pretty much behave the same way a staircase would; my character can stand on them but can't particularly run up them.

TLMike

3P, I promise that you can obtain the Nullifier tech by running and jumping into the slanted floor, then jumping again with a boost. I would show you myself, but I don't have any programs capable of capturing video.

Begin under the Emitter I'll label #4, which is the one to the left of the Nullifier Area, in a area shaped like a toppled-over T. Now, run forward and jump in such a way that you land in the middle of the slanted stretch of ground. When you land, instantly jump again, and you should be launched a bit higher than you normally would. You can then use the wall jump in order to help yourself onto more stable ground.

knucracker

Very impressive use of CRPL.  I know how hard it is to make what appear to be simple things work properly for game play.  Unit movement and physics are much harder than they appear.  So my hat is off to stewbasic.  I've been wanting to try my hand at a platformer at some point as well, and this serves as good inspiration.

ThirdParty

Quote from: TLMike on January 11, 2014, 02:36:47 AM3P, I promise that you can obtain the Nullifier tech by running and jumping into the slanted floor, then jumping again with a boost.

Begin under the Emitter I'll label #4, which is the one to the left of the Nullifier Area, in a area shaped like a toppled-over T. Now, run forward and jump in such a way that you land in the middle of the slanted stretch of ground. When you land, instantly jump again, and you should be launched a bit higher than you normally would.
Okay, I tried it fifty times and finally got a high jump once.  (I'm on a very old computer, so maybe the trick is FPS-sensitive or something.)

I'm still annoyed with the map.  The slant-jump trick should be (a) much easier to pull off and (b) mentioned somewhere.  My initial assumption that the nullifier could only be reached by toggling a switch, which led to wasting an hour playing to the end without having collected it, was subjectively reasonable.

knucracker

I've not finished the map but I was assuming the nullifier required a switch as well since I didn't see a way to jump up.  Glad I read this first before I spent too much more time looking for that switch :)

knucracker

Is this supposed to happen?  Note where my little metroid man is.  I kept jumping till I activated the floor switch and was able to be above the floor.  I thought maybe this was how to proceed, since I was taking forever to make any progress clearing the creeper.

stewbasic

Quote from: virgilw on January 11, 2014, 03:49:12 PM
Is this supposed to happen?  Note where my little metroid man is.  I kept jumping till I activated the floor switch and was able to be above the floor.  I thought maybe this was how to proceed, since I was taking forever to make any progress clearing the creeper.

No >.<. But having seen your screenshot, I found it wasn't too hard to reproduce (somehow it never crossed my mind when testing). I think it would be better with a gap on the right to make it impossible to trap yourself. Also it sounds like I should add a hint for the ramp jump.

I guess the only way to make changes is to put up a v2?

TLMike

I had quite a lot of the same grievances, 3P. I figured out the ramp trick after giving the map a few tries. And I do feel the same way about the movement mechanics. They feel slippery and that can make the ramp jump hard to pull off.

It is a frustrating map in some respects, but I still enjoyed it.

Clean0nion

Quote from: TLMike on January 11, 2014, 06:44:39 PM
I had quite a lot of the same grievances, 3P. I figured out the ramp trick after giving the map a few tries. And I do feel the same way about the movement mechanics. They feel slippery and that can make the ramp jump hard to pull off.

It is a frustrating map in some respects, but I still enjoyed it.
Sure it's frustrating, the controls are slippery, the movement mechanics aren't brilliant.
But CAN YOU DO BETTER?
Probably not! And that is the reason why this is one of the best maps out there: it's brilliantly coded and not to mention unique! As far as I know, it's the only vertical map out there!
Much kudosness to stewbasic!

Flabort

Now recreate a VVVVVV-like map :P
And yeah, my mind is blown that you managed to make a platformer out of this game. The amount of CRPL that must have gone into making the man move, must be stupendous.
Now, the creeper flowing down, I can see as easy. Set the vertical wind to extreme measures, don't have the emitters make enough to flow out of their tracks, and hey-presto! But coding the guy, making the camera follow him, and those tech-upgrades must have taken quite some time to write.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

knucracker

Quote from: stewbasic on January 11, 2014, 05:23:39 PM
Quote from: virgilw on January 11, 2014, 03:49:12 PM

No >.<. But having seen your screenshot, I found it wasn't too hard to reproduce (somehow it never crossed my mind when testing). I think it would be better with a gap on the right to make it impossible to trap yourself. Also it sounds like I should add a hint for the ramp jump.

I guess the only way to make changes is to put up a v2?

I had a save so was able to load up and continue (and eventually finish the map).  Really great job with the game mechanics. 

Spoiler

Now yes, some hints (text in a custom image stuck here and there) would really improve the game flow I think.  There were times when I spent a long time trying to clear creeper not knowing if it was the right thing or not.  This area I got stuck in was one of them.  Eventually I figured out about the shield.

Overall, I'd like to see the game move a little quicker.  A faster firing rate might help that.  That's just my preference, though.

The last room was interesting.  Using the AC as an area for accelerating movement was cool.  The horizontal movement was probably more frustrating than useful though.  I'd almost liked to have seen only vertical movement accelerated.
[/spolier]
[close]

TLMike

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 11, 2014, 06:54:25 PM
But CAN YOU DO BETTER?

Of course not. I don't know CRPL. But if I did, I do have the imagination and creativity to pull off something amazing.