Custom Map #76: Platformer. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, January 10, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewbasic

OK, I'll wait a bit longer for more comments, and then make a new version with some changes. So far, from comments above and replaying myself, I have:

Spoiler

• Insert hints (ramp jump, before the shield).
  • Make "# emitters remaining" text easier to see.
  • Increase friction for less "sliding".
  • Make the ramp jump artificial and easier (currently it results naturally from the movement algorithm, meaning that higher friction makes ramp jumping harder).
  • Widen the platforms above the AC emitter.
  • Remove 1 emitter in the left vertical column.
  • Remove possibility of becoming trapped near first shield
  • Make AC boost vertical speed only.
[close]

Incidentally, the reason I disabled walljumping in creeper is that otherwise the creeper doesn't offer much of an impediment - you can quickly jump through it to get wherever you want.

mzimmer74

Quote from: stewbasic on January 11, 2014, 08:16:47 PM
OK, I'll wait a bit longer for more comments, and then make a new version with some changes. So far, from comments above and replaying myself, I have:

Incidentally, the reason I disabled walljumping in creeper is that otherwise the creeper doesn't offer much of an impediment - you can quickly jump through it to get wherever you want.

First, I like the map.  It's a neat idea and I'm sure the coding is quite impressive.  I also like the ideas you have listed as improvements.  I'd like to suggest another idea to add.  Currently you get the turret to get a gun.  I'd like to have the ability to get the mortar as well.  Getting the mortar would be like getting a weapon upgrade.  Each shot would take out more creeper (and maybe you could even shoot faster).  This would help with some of the large pools of creeper where I just stood around shooting trying to clear a path.  Maybe have the color of the shot be different to distinguish it.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.  Nice job on this!

Edit: Maybe a good place to put the mortar would be the upper left hand corner.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stewbasic

Quote from: mzimmer74 on January 16, 2014, 05:42:52 PM
I'd like to have the ability to get the mortar as well.  Getting the mortar would be like getting a weapon upgrade.  Each shot would take out more creeper (and maybe you could even shoot faster).  This would help with some of the large pools of creeper where I just stood around shooting trying to clear a path.  Maybe have the color of the shot be different to distinguish it.

Initially I was planning to have the mortar as an alternate weapon which would detonate where you target instead of the first creeper it hits, so you could blast some thick pocket of creeper in the middle. But then I realised you can already do this with the blaster by quickly running through the creeper. In fact you can do almost everything with just the blaster, so it was hard to force the player to use other things (eg the shield). But maybe that's OK since getting a good time requires taking advantage of everything available...

Anyway, having the same behaviour but more powerful is a nice idea; I'll try putting that in when I start making changes :).

stewbasic

OK, I have a new version with some changes (attached). Is anyone willing to playtest it before I upload it to colonial space, and let me know if the movement is more pleasant?

TLMike

I think it's fantastic now. I know we've all been giving you a little bit of a hard time about this map. But you should know that it really is something special. Make more.

mzimmer74

It was really good before.  Now it is incredible.  The help messages made things a lot clearer, I loved the more powerful weapon, and it seemed like the controls were easier to manage.  It also seemed like you made the slope jump easier to use which was a huge help.  Got the nullifier jump the first time instead of the 100th.  Great job on this!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stewbasic

Thanks for the feedback! I made a few more changes, and I will upload it now.