Weekly 5-Map Tournament - Codes - Closing 21 Oct 2012

Started by mopa42, October 15, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopa42

Tournament time again! This should be pretty fun.

After our code map tournament of tournaments, it is only appropriate to have a tournament of codes. To cryptographers, codes and ciphers are different things and I've tried to honor that distinction. There are plenty of interesting ciphers, such as Vigenere, Caesar, AES for another week. Look at wikipedia for details on any of these.

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
Famous Codes

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
Morse CodeLargeHigh
ASCIIMediumLow
Konami CodeMediumMedium
PURPLESmallMedium
RSAMediumHigh

Zaggy

I gave the first four a shot; I'm the first to submit scores.

Morse Code is a tough one; with the continuous flow of high-HP drones with limited building space, it can be difficult to make progress.

ASCII is a relatively quick one.  I have to retry this for a better time.

Konami Code isn't too bad either; there's 7 emitters to take care of here.

PURPLE is deceptively easy.  You may think your time is limited, but it does take a while for creeper to break free, and by then you're probably busting in on the right side anyway.

RSA has a few crystals and chips near the surface, but not too much building area, combined with relatively strong emitters for a map without experimentals.

Good luck everyone (even though there's no luck in CW2 other than phantoms)!

Wheatmidge

Quote from: Zaggy on October 16, 2012, 08:59:55 AM

Good luck everyone (even though there's no luck in CW2 other than phantoms)!

I just feel the need to point out that drones also have luck to them. It's a question of which building they choose to target.

deety42

I always wondered what algorithm governs drone behavior.  I've never quite been able to pin it down.  Or, is there some randomness involved if an object is not within a certain distance?  Just speculating...

Wheatmidge

Virgil discussed it somewhere.. not sure where. But a Drone will randomly select any building or unit that it can get to and then go for it. If it is walled off it will randomly choose a point within its available area and go there. When it either gets to its target building or location it searches again.
In the case of drone evasion, if the LS is the only thing for the drones to target they will target it. and they will go to where ever the LS was when they searched for it. when they get to that point they then go towards the location where the LS is again and again, and again....

SmileyCoder

Scores as of today:
Results Per Player

RankNameMorse CodeASCIIKonami CodePURPLERSATotal ScoreTotal Time
1Zaggy925511009109081148942661
2TheSmileyCoder11454119941204835496
3Helper11447119631158534995
4inept_celt107921111321905
5franke991084310843
Scores recorded at 2012-10-16 15:14:08 forum time.

Nice scores from Helper. :)
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

mopa42

Morse Code was tricky to crack, but I had my best creeper cryptanalysts working on it :)

SmileyCoder

I must be doing something wrong in the Morse Code. 10 attempts and I keep getting killed. Grrr.
TheSmileyCoder

Wheatmidge

If you are dying on Morse Code it probably means you are being too aggressive. You have to start that one defensively I think. Which is always a little sad, because being defensive does not help your speed.

SmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoder

SmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoder

Wheatmidge

And to beat Konami Code make sure you dig up twice and then dig down twice, then dig left, then dig right, and then dig left again, and finally dig right. That should give you a great start. Or 30 tries.

SmileyCoder

Quote from: Wheatmidge on October 18, 2012, 03:59:28 PM
And to beat Konami Code make sure you dig up twice and then dig down twice, then dig left, then dig right, and then dig left again, and finally dig right. That should give you a great start. Or 30 tries.

huh?
TheSmileyCoder

lurkily

Quote from: SmileyCoder on October 18, 2012, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: Wheatmidge on October 18, 2012, 03:59:28 PM
huh?
One video game company (Konami I guess?) making games for the NES, then the SNES used the same cheat code on all their games - up up down down left right left right b a start.  It's one of those cultural references.

SmileyCoder

I see. Thank you for the explanation. I've only ever used PCs as gaming platforms.

I see Wheatmidge is making a real effort at taking the first place this week.
TheSmileyCoder