Weekly 5-Map Tournament - The Best Of The Best - closing September 1, 2012

Started by thepenguin, August 27, 2012, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

As per rule #7, I will post this tournament.
a test for the best players, 5 maps that are currently beleived unbeatable (though I had to change some of them to med. difficulty in order to obey rule #6, those are more normal code maps for the average player). have fun.

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
supposed unbeatable maps

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
look farm waySmallMedium
August 12 2011LargeHigh
1500 meters 3:26LargeMedium
9139719875MediumHigh
BooSmallHigh
We have become the creeper...

SmileyCoder

I was so happy that I managet to beat "August 12 2011", until I realised I had done it on Small/High. Grr
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Helper

Yikes!
I'll be happy to beat any of these on any settings.
What happens if no one can post a score - do we all tie for first...or last?

(0 for 3 so far, but still trying.)

SmileyCoder

August 12 2011 Large/High is doable, and its deffo possible to get a better score then I did, since I forgot some of the items that give points.

9139719875 I don't really see any feasible way of approaching. Lots of drones, and no gems near the surface.
TheSmileyCoder

Helper

I'm glad you were able to figure it out.
Think I better sit on the sidelines and watch this week.

SmileyCoder

1500 meters 3:26, isn't so bad cause the drones and emitters are weak and there is quite a few gems to grab. Once a foothold is estrablished the rest is pretty boring though.
TheSmileyCoder

SmileyCoder

For personal reasons I have no interest in hosting a tournament. I get too much grief from players complaining about time zone differences.

So in case I win, someone else is welcome to start a tournament.
TheSmileyCoder

Helper

Quote from: SmileyCoder on August 31, 2012, 05:31:05 PM
For personal reasons I have no interest in hosting a tournament. I get too much grief from players complaining about time zone differences.

SC - Let them complain. The rules are laid out quite well in the original thread and "Forum Time' is the guideline.
Your other work here shows you know your stuff and I'm looking forward to trying whatever it is you come up with.

I might complain about not being able to finish your games...but not the time zones! :)

SmileyCoder

Quote from: Helper on September 01, 2012, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: SmileyCoder on August 31, 2012, 05:31:05 PM

SC - Let them complain. The rules are laid out quite well in the original thread and "Forum Time' is the guideline.
Your other work here shows you know your stuff and I'm looking forward to trying whatever it is you come up with.

I might complain about not being able to finish your games...but not the time zones! :)

Problem is that midnight forumtime is not a convenient time for me to post scores, and as a result I posted late sunday (local time) before going off to bed which resulted in complaints, so that I actually quit these tournaments for a long time. I just couldn't keep away no more, considering the theme this week. I always like a challenging map.

Anyway here are the scores for last week:
Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.TheSmileyCoder22821*
2.Helper22012*
3.ctuna10950*
4.dt4210109*
5.inept_celt8623*
6.UoADeadeye8458*
* Did not finish all maps.

Scores recorded at 2012-09-03 07:27:28 forum time.
TheSmileyCoder

deety42

So, TheSmileyCoder, have you been persuaded to choose the next tournament?

Helper

Quote from: SmileyCoder on September 03, 2012, 08:34:58 AM
I just couldn't keep away no more, considering the theme this week. I always like a challenging map.

It seems to me that if you're going to enter the tournament, you need to do your part when you win.
Kind of a "Fair Dues" for all participants.

lurkily

Quote from: Helper on September 04, 2012, 11:23:48 AM
Quote from: SmileyCoder on September 03, 2012, 08:34:58 AM
I just couldn't keep away no more, considering the theme this week. I always like a challenging map.

It seems to me that if you're going to enter the tournament, you need to do your part when you win.
Kind of a "Fair Dues" for all participants.
So if someone isn't interested in organizing, they get punished for winning?  That's fair?

Helper

@lurkily -
If you look at the first post in this thread, there is a link to the rules when playing in the "Weekly 5-Map Tournament".

You might consider actually reading the rules before posting about anyone being "punished".

lurkily

Quote from: Helper on September 04, 2012, 02:14:39 PM
@lurkily -
If you look at the first post in this thread, there is a link to the rules when playing in the "Weekly 5-Map Tournament".

You might consider actually reading the rules before posting about anyone being "punished".
I presume that you're referring to the 'rule' of "it is tradition that . . ."

I don't know about others, but I just don't think competing should bind anybody into any arrangement.  If competitors don't like to organize, then they won't compete under conditions like that.  And competitions can't thrive without competitors.

Further, I don't think anybody should be considered selfish for enriching a competition or a social venue ( the forum ) just because they are only willing to give it a certain amount of their time and attention, but not more.  It would certainly be considerate, under these conditions, for them to 'pass the torch' to someone who's actually interested, but beyond that . . .

Helper

No, I was referring to rules, as in:

"A.Rules:
The winner (best total score) gets to pick a new theme and publish the dates to be played before Monday evening at midnight (forum time)."

Paragraph A says nothing about "tradition", the Title of the paragraph is "Rules".