Weekly 5-map tournament - Elements - Closing 2012-04-2

Started by Wheatmidge, March 26, 2012, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheatmidge

I decided to find all maps that have exposed emitters, hopefully it will be a fun challenge this week

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
Elements of the periodic table

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
MercuryMediumHigh
ScandiumSmallHigh
IridiumMediumMedium
NeonLargeMedium
CalciumLargeHigh

Ending time: Sunday April 1 at midnight

I should figure out how to make the fancy table for everything, but alas, not this week.
I don't have the score compiler program so could I ask someone else to post the scores at the end of the time (and possibly halfway through too).

2b3o4o

Amram

Quote from: 2b3o4o on March 26, 2012, 08:46:14 PM
There really is no need to have someone else get the scores. Click here to get the program.

Yup, thats how i've been doing it.

Quote my post, and copy/paste the following into your opening post, this is what the scorer gives you after you set your maps and export the mission list

INTRO GOES HERE

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
THEME GOES HERE

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
MercuryMediumHigh
ScandiumSmallHigh
IridiumMediumMedium
NeonLargeMedium
CalciumLargeHigh

Wheatmidge

The Score program won't work without Java, and Java and my computer do not get along very well.

zaphod

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.Katra53437
2.testicle52754
3.dt4251775
4.Wheatmidge51744
5.mopa4244740*
6.ctuna41757*
7.Schmane31405*
8.Amram22412*
9.Mad Spy21218*
* Did not finish all maps.

Scores recorded at 2012-04-01 02:37:13 forum time.
One by one, the penguins take my sanity

mopa42

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.mopa4255565
2.Katra53437
3.testicle52754
4.dt4252088
5.Wheatmidge51744
6.Schmane42418*
7.ctuna41757*
8.Amram34415*
9.zaphod22200*
10.Mad Spy21218*
* Did not finish all maps.

Scores recorded at 2012-04-02 00:25:18 forum time. (Approximately Midnight)

mopa42

Looks like I won! I've got a pretty neat theme for next week coming up (sometime soon).

Anyway, here are some screen shots of how I played. Most are pretty boring, but the one I want to describe is the last mission, Calcium, since my time was half that of anyone else.

On experimental maps, my weapon of choice is the conversion bomb, and my preferred strategy is to open a creeper chamber with a shield and convert all of the creeper inside all at once, then cap the emitter before it has a chance to recover, using auxiliary shields as necessary.
For this map, I was able to use shields to keep the top chamber contained while I built reactors. I used conversion bombs once at about 2:30 to gain a pause to rebuild shields and keep building more reactors, and once more at about 5:00 to go in for the kill. I also used a dark beam on the lower-right chamber to keep drones away from the bombs as they entered. For me, dark beams are slower than conversion bombs, but they can deal with drones.

General strategy: when I play a map for speed, I always play at the slower speed so that I can build and move units more efficiently. Postponing the attack until I have lots of energy sometimes helps, too.

deety42

Thanks for the details!  I used dark beams on everything on that map.  Didn't think it would be possible to use the conversion bombs and then just kill off the emitter the usual way.  I'll have to try that some time.  Looking forward to your tournament...

Wheatmidge

For experimental maps I usually use a combination of a dark beam and conversion bombs to cap things quickly. The dark beam can be used as a wall right nest to an emitter and then use the conversion bomb on the other side of the dark beam and then build your nullifier.