map name length .

Started by SPIFFEN, April 04, 2010, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

Is it possible to make the map names to have more than 20 chars in it as i think it's now .
I think it would look nicer if there was enought room to make the map named as you want it to be .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Capn Trey

You maps would all be 7 characters shorter if you dropped off you name.

:P

JK

Katra

I've run into the name length limit myself a couple times. It's a particular issue for those doing series maps...
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Same here. 32 characters would be nice.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

Quote from: Capn Trey on April 06, 2010, 12:26:18 PM
You maps would all be 7 characters shorter if you dropped off you name.:P

He he I would save 8 because i have an s at the end of my name in the maps =P
And i can cut down my name to SPIFF , to save 2 chars and you still should know who it is .

But as you can see from other posts ,
this suggestion would be nice for the game .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

Karsten75

And then we will get map names like this:

The long and tragic tale of Missus Malpeth and her son Timmie who struggled to survive in an an alien world of Creeper with only a tomato to sustain them until rescue arrives. Chapter 1: Missus Malpeth sends Timmie to the market to trade in his shoes for a frying pan. Episode 1: Timmie meets a river of deadly Creeper and must decide whether he will fight and risk his life for a frying pan or whether he will disappoint his good mother.

I can't wait!

Or perhaps this one:

SPIFFIN's spiffing [Yes, that *is* an English word! -Ed.] map of many twists and turns that hold the player in suspense in so many ways - First the player will not know when the emitters will erupt, or how badly the emitters will erupt, then the player will have to ponder the best defense against waves of spores, all the time managing their energy allocation to the best advantage while avoiding the deepest pools of creeper. Version 1.01.0065 (updated to remove an errant thread of creeper and make sur etha tht ecreeper depth is not greater than .065 than the elevation of the walls the creeper has to overcome).

If I was good at PhotoShop I'd photoshop the map page with a few long map names, jsut to give you guys a feel for what you are asking.

Sqaz

What's wrong with the name "The long and tragic tale of Missus Malpeth and her son Timmie who struggled to survive in an an alien world of Creeper with only a tomato to sustain them until rescue arrives. Chapter 1: Missus Malpeth sends Timmie to the market to trade in his shoes for a frying pan. Episode 1: Timmie meets a river of deadly Creeper and must decide whether he will fight and risk his life for a frying pan or whether he will disappoint his good mother." Doesn't it give enough information about the map?  :P

But do you really think anybody would call his map like that, and if there would really be people that want to give such a stupid name to their maps you can just restrict the available characters in the name to 32.

Xylnalya

Quote from: Sqaz
What's wrong with the name[...]

Karsten75

LMAO! Thanks Xyl, that proves my point, I think!

Edit. Uhhh. You forgot the map author name.   8)

Xylnalya

T'was a pleasure.

*edit*
Damn. Sec.

*edit2*
Fixed. That's what the blank line was for! XD

Sqaz

And of course nobody would be smart enough to make the name that appears "SPIFFIN's spiffing [Yes, that *is* an English word! -Ed.] map..." so you can see the rest in the special page of that custom map (that thing where the scores and comments are).

SPIFFEN

And who asked for so many letters ?
The highest suggestion for letters for an map name i've seen so far is 32 .

And i think 40 letters could be the max ,
to make it work in the Custom map page .

And i only asked if it was possible to implement this to the game ,
not to make the map name have an description of the map .

How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 07, 2010, 09:54:50 AM
And of course nobody would be smart enough to make the name that appears "SPIFFIN's spiffing [Yes, that *is* an English word! -Ed.] map..." so you can see the rest in the special page of that custom map (that thing where the scores and comments are).

Ah, but then, how would players know if they are looking at *that* map or perhaps this map:

SPIFFIN's spiffing [Yes, that *is* still an English word! -Ed.] map of many ups and downs that are relatively more trivial than SPIFFIN's other map of many ins and outs, but still holds the player in suspense in so many new ways - First the player will not know hoe much energy they have, or whether spores will rain down on them, but they will have no concerns of energy management, since they wil have a lot of reactors. Version 4.02.008 (updated to add a few more reactors and speed improvements).

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 07, 2010, 09:56:28 AM
And who asked for so many letters ?

Errrm.. *You* did.

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 04, 2010, 11:25:38 PM
Is it possible to make the map names to have more than 20 chars in it as i think it's now .
I think it would look nicer if there was enought room to make the map named as you want it to be .

SPIFFEN

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 04, 2010, 11:25:38 PM

Ahh sorry i didnt think that the map name shoud have endless of letters when i made this post/thread ,
so you got me on that =P
How to make links

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 07, 2010, 10:03:21 AM
Quote from: Sqaz on April 07, 2010, 09:54:50 AM

Ah, but then, how would players know if they are looking at *that* map or perhaps this map:

SPIFFIN's spiffing [Yes, that *is* still an English word! -Ed.] map of many ups and downs that are relatively more trivial than SPIFFIN's other map of many ins and outs, but still holds the player in suspense in so many new ways - First the player will not know hoe much energy they have, or whether spores will rain down on them, but they will have no concerns of energy management, since they wil have a lot of reactors. Version 4.02.008 (updated to add a few more reactors and speed improvements).

They can see the "still" and maybe also that the terrain or difficulty is different?

But with those ridiculous examples you've shown that maybe the max number of characters should be less than 50 (or something like that) what would already be the case if Virgil would decide to make the map name length longer.