Main Menu

Packet routing

Started by Karsten75, January 13, 2010, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Quote from: deathly_god5 on January 14, 2010, 06:07:00 PM
True I forgot about that. So then why does it always look like (before speed upgrade) that is stops or slows down whenever it hits a collecter or relay?

Could be an effect of how it is rendered? In other words, an illusion?  :)

I have noticed that if I build ridiculously many speed enhancers, it seems as if some packets spend a markedly long time right in the center of a collector. But I'm sure it is simply a visual illusion.

Aurzel

its only because the packets 'jump' across the network so every spot it 'stops' at looks like its slowing down, maybe

UpperKEES

Quote from: Aurzel on January 13, 2010, 05:43:44 PM
the package calculates its route before it leaves odin city i believe

Hmmm, I thought I've seen packets change their route after a new node got completed, offering a shorter route. Am I wrong?

And another question: I've seen packets take a different route when the Creeper destroyed the shortest one, but when I destroy a node myself, the packets on this route just dissapear, instead of taking a different route. Is it supposed to be like this?

Edit: typo
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Aurzel

yeah i made that comment before i read the wiki article on how this sequence works, the packets do stop and calculate where they're going at each node, though this should still be an unnoticeable stop since i would think it would only take a few microseconds, hence the big cpu hit

as for the other question, if the node is destroyed before the packet has passed from a node to head for the destroyed one then it will re-route, if the packet has already calculated which node is closest and that node is destroyed after that, then the packet will evaporate

UpperKEES

Thanks Aurzel, that makes sense.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview