Weekly history tournament - computer (game) inventions - closing Sept. 26

Started by UpperKEES, September 20, 2010, 07:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katra

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on September 21, 2010, 04:51:44 PM
Please dont post solutions until the tournament is over. You wouldnt want to give away your secrets would you? We all should play to win and you definetly cant do that by showing part of your hand.

I suggest that we indeed only post solutions when the tournament is over.

And by the way: Alwego, your totems won't be connected after the final move of OC (so you probably move a blaster to that spot).

Quote from: The smoking revolver on September 21, 2010, 05:32:31 PM
You dident include Half-Life! Traitor*Gasps* OR CREEPER WORLD!

I have a limit of 5 maps within a theme and picked inventions that really pioneered at their time. The C64 wasn't really the first of its kind, but it had superb graphics and sound for that time and was a lot better than other personal/home computers for a much lower price (thus earning a spot in this tournament; Virgil had one too!).

I suggest you win a tournament (or become second when I win this one), so you can choose next weeks theme and pick 'the 5 most interesting computer games ever'. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Alwego

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 22, 2010, 05:11:05 AM
Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on September 21, 2010, 04:51:44 PM
Please dont post solutions until the tournament is over. You wouldnt want to give away your secrets would you? We all should play to win and you definetly cant do that by showing part of your hand.

I suggest that we indeed only post solutions when the tournament is over.
Execute order 66. ahhhh i love this text :)
Will be done My Lord ;-)

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 22, 2010, 05:11:05 AM
And by the way: Alwego, your totems won't be connected after the final move of OC (so you probably move a blaster to that spot).
I know :) I can't put in one place OC and collector. I showed only OC. I want give only idea, not full solutions (players need more collectors, blasters)

UpperKEES

I've tried 3 approaches for map 1 myself and ended up posting a score with my first approach. :-\

I love it when a map can be solved in many different ways! :)

Pyxis_GeeK

I guess you guys dont need an explanation but I was going to compete in this weeks competition but I was finally able to get an external harddrive so I can reformat my computer without losing any information. So with that said it will probably take me the rest of the week to get my computer back up and running. Anyway good luck to all those participating and I will see yall in the next tournament. ;D

UpperKEES

My results so far:

Map
Date
Score
Time

9:00
9:51
2:48
7:11
3:43

Totals:
32:33

Fisherck

Quote from: Alwego on September 22, 2010, 06:12:07 AM
Execute order 66. ahhhh i love this text

What have you been watching...  ;D

EDIT: I probally will not be able to finish this tournament (or start :D), but you never know, I might sneak up at the last moment!!!
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

RandyTravis

lol I just started college. way too busy to play more and refine scores... anyway. good luck everyone. i might play on saturday but there is a whole bunch going on

Rob

UpperKEES

Quote from: Rob on September 24, 2010, 03:10:21 AM
... This is just retarded.  I quit.

Hmmm, it seems I really stimulate people.... ;D

What's wrong with the second place? And what's wrong with improving yourself? Or with participating just for fun?

I post my solutions at the end of the week, so you can always learn from it and polish your techniques. You can't expect to set the best times without practising a lot.

I almost feel like apologizing for my scores and I didn't even try hard this week. :( I guess it's really time for CW2....

PS: Siccles, please come back! ;)

L'ythelle

Sorry Kees, the maps are hard this week. My brain is so de-technified from working with my autistic boy that I couldn't even finish the first two. I promise to give it another try tonite if I can switch my brain back to power management mode. I guess first place doesn't mean much if there are no other competitors.

Alwego

UpperKEES

Quote from: L'ythelle on September 24, 2010, 09:20:53 AM
Sorry Kees, the maps are hard this week.
[...]
I guess first place doesn't mean much if there are no other competitors.

Well, I think we still have about 7 competitors who finished all maps, but I wouldn't mind playing against 200-300 others. I know that won't be possible with the amount of people playing CW at the moment, but I find it sad when people quit (or don't even participate) just because I've set some fast times. It's lonely at the top they say....

The good thing however is that next weeks theme will be chosen by the person ending up at the second spot when I'm still at #1 on Sunday evening. Besides the theme he/she will also pick the maps, so maybe these will be a bit easier than this weeks maps. :)

This makes me think of introducing a handicap for skilled players. The energy generated by OC could become less depending on the average score stored in the database, so my start would be a lot slower. I wouldn't mind that (although I know it's not gonna happen).

Quote from: Alwego on September 24, 2010, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: UpperKEES on September 24, 2010, 09:07:49 AM
PS: Siccles, please come back! ;)
hyh :D
I think the same.

Yeah, he would probably give me a hard time (but so can you!)

The smoking revolver

Ok, Kees should just get his own medal cause hes to good and second place should get to pick
There is always a I in team

Mare

Quote from: The smoking revolver on September 24, 2010, 05:09:32 PM
Ok, Kees should just get his own medal cause hes to good and second place should get to pick

I agree, If Kees is always first then he always picks the week's maps, Make it the second person who picks.

PS: Take note that Kees is at fault, If he made a tournament where only 1st place gets to pick the maps, and he constantly gets 1st place, Then obviously people would not like it. I am not saying Kees is a showoff or is mean, Just.......you are discouraging people from get a good time......

PPS: This is not meant to insult Kees.....I hope..........
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me