Even more Long and updated list of unit ideas, plus some other stuff:

Started by Twi, March 10, 2010, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

I like the fog of war idea =)

There has been some custom maps that have been made working kind of that way ,
by changing the colors .

But fog of war is much better .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Twi

Bunch of new stuff added. See "Support Buildings", and everything after fog of war.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Twi

Yet more stuff added.

Actually, just "Wireless Relays" and fixed the info for Rough Terrain.

Karsten75

Seriously, while you may have good ideas, there is no way I'm going to go back and read the entire first post again just to try and figure out what you have added or changed. Besides, it is hard to tell what you change in an existing description.

Twi

Point.

Triple post go, then.

Twi

Non- unit new stuff:

Weather/Terrain Types: To add more variety:

Climate/Weather: Something in certain stages to change things up. For example:

Dry: Causes Creeper to move more sluggishly. Increases effectiveness of fire.
Humid: Decreases effectiveness of fire.
Cold: Randomly freezes Creeper, makes cold weapons better and heat weapons worse.
Hot: Randomly burns Creeper, makes heat weapons better and cold weapons worse.
Low Pressure: Causes Creeper to spread out more vertically.
High Pressure: Causes Creeper to spread out more horizontally.
Low Gravity: See Low Pressure. Also, increases the range of Mortars, SAMs, and other projectile launchers.
High Gravity: Inverse of Low Gravity, of course.
Energy Saturated: Makes green Collector areas collect more  energy. (Not sure how this would work story-wise, given that Collectors "tap into fractal space for energy".)

Terrain Types: Special terrain. For example:

Lava: Nothing can be built there, and Creeper can't go over it. Useful for making chokepoints and islands.
Energy-Rich: See Energy Saturated, but for areas of land. Would add another dimension to strategies.
Rough Terrain: Can't be built on, but slows down Creeper as long as it's 1 layer thick or less (or a half a layer, or something). Again, chokepoints.
Minefield: Have lots of mines, they go boom.
Weak Ground: If enough weight is applied to an area of this (say, , assign each building and amount of Creeper a weight value, and your equation would be X building weight +Y Creeper weight is greater than or equal to Z strength which is the strength of each tile added together), the terrain will collapse down a layer.
Vents: In accordance with fog of war, vents throw up thick smoke directly above them that blocks line of sight.

Neutral Buildings:
Stationary buildings you can capture by putting a unit down next to. Destructibility may vary. Examples:

Watch Tower: For fog of war, has a very large line of sight. Indestructible.
Fortress: Powerful but immobile defensive structure that shoots at Creeper. Probably equiped with multiple weapons: i.e, four Blasters or Pulse Cannons. Has a large health bar and is usually placed on high ground.
Production Plant: See Production Facility, but stationary. Has a health bar.
Research Lab: Enables various upgrades for your stuff. Indestructible.
Wall Builder: Uses energy to build walls. Has a health bar.

Twi

Infamous triple post gives you unit-related new stuff:

Pulse Cannon:Basically a Blaster version of the Cannon.

Flamethrower: Does damage at short range along a line. Otherwise self-explanatory. It burns stuff, and it's good for blocking chokepoints. It should probably be something of a "medium" weapon, between Blasters and Mortars.

Ice Beam: Variation of the above  which freezes the Creeper it attacks, stopping it and making it harmless- for a short time. The ice-based concept could be applied to something more Blaster-like, but these should probably fire relatively slowly so that they can't just freeze everything.

Support Buildings: Buildings that improve nearby weapons within a certain radius. I've thought of two flavors, ones that increase fire rate and ones that increase fire range. They can't move and don't have health bars.

Wireless Relay: Big, expensive Relay that can connect with any Wireless Relay anywhere. But you pay a price: Each one consumes ammo packets to function.

Network Booster (working title): This thing increases the linking range of anything directly attached to it by X amount (or X percent, if it goes like that). Basically, it's for larger distances, since we're having larger maps.

Sensor Tower: Combination of the buildings described in below two non-unit ideas.

Production Facility: A big building that produces packets. It can produce, say, half the number of packets per second that Odin City can, and it can move, but it doesn't collect energy. Again, for larger maps, since larger maps means larger fronts means more stuff to do at once.
(Note: I vaguely remember something like this being discussed, but it was dead and I forgot where it was. >_>)

Blaze

Twi

TheBuilder

Holy heck in a hand basket!

That be quite the list.

Great ideas, oddly enough if you think about it, this would add to both the tower defense side of the game and to the RTS side of the game.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

UpperKEES

Although I have the impression I'm looking at a completely different game, I like a lot of things here. I have to admit that I'm rather hesitant with changes to a game I love so much, but from experience with other games I know I like these kind of weapons/buildings/structures. I guess I have to let go of my resistance against change.

I've seen some of your idea's in other (similar) suggestions as well, but if I put it together it could become a very nice expansion. At least I don't see ridiculous proposals as I've often read here on the forums over the past 2 months....

As I like going for the high scores, the wireless relay immediately has my attention. ;) Can I build it remotely as well? If I can, it may consume as much energy as it wishes for the few seconds I need it! :D If not, does it do anything else but shorten the (already existing) packet routes? And does it keep working after it loses connection to the network (if so, how does it consume energy)?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Twi

Building it remotely? No. It has to be set up before it can recieve energy.
But it beams energy, so...yeah, it's a connection.

UpperKEES

Technically there are two kinds of packets at the moment: build packets and ammo packets, both created out of energy. Once packets they're not energy anymore. For this reason packets can't be used for something else than what they were created for (as Virgil explained somewhere). So I guess you're introducing operation packets now (which doesn't have to be a problem). You would have to display them in a different colour and they wouldn't follow the lines, but just fly through the air, along with the build and ammo packets it is transporting.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Twi

We can say it changes the packets back to energy and back again.

A couple of new ideas:

Combining Reactors/Storage/Speed to Make Stuff: Fairly self-explanatory. Since those types of buildings are often put right next to each other, it makes sense to allow them to be combined.Say, four of one of them in a square would be a good number. What they might be combined into:

Big whatever: Basically, does the same thing its components did, but does it better.

Bunkered Whatever: Has the same usefullness as it's parts, but has a health bar. Seems like these things shouldn't be in danger, though....

Friendly Creeper Emitter: Already been suggested, but combining 4 Reactors into this would be a good idea.

Transport Ship: A large craft which you can load a unit into by landing the ship on top of that. It moves slowly through the air and can plop the unit down at any valid location. Movement is similar to that of Blasters and Mortars. Basically, it's for getting things in places that are hard to reach: i.e, islands surrounded by thick lava or lots of Creeper or terrain you can't build on or a combination of those things.

JACKL

TRANSPORT SHIP!!!!!!!!

What a good idea,that would save hundreds of packets,and if you have to abandon part of your network,you can ship the speed and reactors and save your energy surplus!!!!!!

GENIUS!!!!!
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.