Custom Map #195: Liberation Pinball

Started by AutoPost, September 13, 2011, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: FR-seratna on September 15, 2011, 03:23:42 AM
Really made ​​a map for the Experts.

Yep. ;) And when you've finished this map you will have become one yourself. :)

I tried everything.

I'm sure you didn't. :P

Building efficiently is very important of course. A few very general tips that are essential:
- Make sure you always use all energy available.
- Don't build with a deficit when building reactors. Better make sure the ones you build finish faster so they start generating energy sooner. Then build more of them.
- Don't excavate when you have space to build reactors first.
- Pause a lot when building/adding reactors. This will ensure you can keep an eye on your energy levels and add more reactors when the previous ones are completed and/or terrain has been excavated.
- Move your Liberation Ship close to your build site to shorten the supply lines.

1. I started with the minerals from the top, and then the reactor and construiction blaster but after six, seven minutes there is too much creeper and drone, and the capsules eventually be destroyed.

That's a good start.

Spoiler
After collecting as many crystals as possible first concentrate on generating as much energy as possible.
[close]

Spoiler
Using about 4 blasters at strategic positions should be enough to keep the drones out.
[close]

2.I Started by minerals always have some ressoucre and then I focused on the techs, especially ore rig to fetch nullifiers, so also for nanaships up my reserve of ore in order to extract ore 250. but I lost too much time and the first capsule eventually be destroyed.

Spoiler
Yep, the ore rig tech is one you want to collect as soon as possible.
[close]

Regarding the nanochips:

Spoiler
You indeed need some additional ore storage later on, but I would focus on other upgrades first. More about that tomorrow.
[close]

3.I Started by me focused on the shield but I have totally failed to get the shields, too much energy wasted.

Spoiler
Shields will definitely come in handy, but you first need a certain minimum amount of energy to be able to survive and protect the capsules. Obtaining the shield tech indeed is a real energy waster, although it will save you much energy later on.
[close]

4.I Started by recovering the ore and then I try and recovered the two cubes in the middle of pinball but to no avail.

Spoiler
I'm afraid it takes too long to obtain the cubes in time if you concentrate on these during the first minutes of the game.
[close]

I do not know quite what to try to succeed but I love it, I think I even dream that night.

I dream of Creeper, packets and blasters for more than 20 months now and it turns out to be harmless. No worries! ;D
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

FR-seratna

Traduction
Thank you for the advice! I'll try again. I do not promise not to tear my hair.

MadMurphy

So your building on the walls before digging anything?

Ebon Heart

If you destroy the paddles, the fields that control them actually make a great shield. :P
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: MadMurphy on September 15, 2011, 03:34:12 PM
So your building on the walls before digging anything?

Nope, because I know the balls will destroy most reactors there. Of course I could have tried to remember/mark/write down the 'safe' cells along the walls, but I never bothered (so my time and score are far from perfect) and I don't expect you to do so. You should be able to beat it by playing in a normal way.

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 15, 2011, 03:41:37 PM
If you destroy the paddles, the fields that control them actually make a great shield. :P

Yep, they do, but keeping your LS at the bottom of the map probably won't do you any good.

Ebon Heart

I'm hoping to do a test tonight to see which cells on the walls are safe to build on... barring drone interference. I'll take a screen shot with the safe cells marked.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 15, 2011, 03:45:24 PM
I'm hoping to do a test tonight to see which cells on the walls are safe to build on... barring drone interference. I'll take a screen shot with the safe cells marked.

That could be a nice help for players who like to make the most out of it. I may even use it myself when aiming for a better time.

Just bear in mind that Creeper will cover parts of the map later on and reactors within the walls of the pinball machine will be safer and easier (cheaper!) to defend.

Kithros

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 15, 2011, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 15, 2011, 03:45:24 PM

That could be a nice help for players who like to make the most out of it. I may even use it myself when aiming for a better time.

Just bear in mind that Creeper will cover parts of the map later on and reactors within the walls of the pinball machine will be safer and easier (cheaper!) to defend.

Well, truthfully I think with the way this is designed pretty much everyone (who beats the map) will simply rush the digging gateways before the creeper is really widespread - while I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible without doing this - I think that anyone capable of beating it without rushing the gateways will have no trouble rushing the gateways anyway, so this pretty much will only apply to the bottom part of the map I think.

UpperKEES

Yep, the bottom half (about up to the 2 holocubes), unless of course the little chamber on the top right causes trouble during early game, which isn't unimaginable for less advanced players. Keep in mind not everyone is that experienced.

There's no need to rush for anything though (although I would try to obtain the Nullifier tech as soon as possible). I have finished this map before by just exterminating chamber by chamber without using shields or destroying the orange gateways before they were done sending out dig packets. It just requires tight energy management and wise use of your weaponry. The emitters aren't very strong, so you only have to survive the first minute when the dense Creeper leaves the chamber and it takes some experience to know how many weapons you'll need for that and what distance to stay at.

In fact I played rather sloppy (compared to my gameplay when setting highscores for the story maps) and didn't even nullify the orange gateways during the first 16 minutes of gameplay for my current score, so all dig packets were sent out by then. ;)

So, where's your score? I expected you to be the first to submit one....

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 15, 2011, 04:49:02 PM
I expected you to be the first to submit one....

And there it is.... SkiWV finished in 71 minutes, so I guess he played without rushing. I completed my first run in 53 minutes (didn't reload often), so it's really possible with 'normal' gameplay.

Kithros

I've been a bit busy so I can't play it for a few days - my laptop is terribly slow so I can't play bigger maps on it well. Also, while I'm not saying this particular score isn't legit, there have been times where SkiWV has had blatantly impossible times on maps so I can't take any of his times anywhere very seriously.

EDIT: For some examples of blatantly impossible times look at map ID 145, and map ID 107 - both feature creeper surrounded by solid terrain that can't possibly be reached until the fields move them, and his times are before those fields activate, so it's a pretty safe bet that some bug/hack is involved.

Cavemaniac

Holy smoke!

The effort and detail that's gone into this map...

I love the way arcade classics keep popping up in CW2 - first Space invaders, then Centipede, now a pinball table! Maybe some others I missed too.

Can't wait to see 'Frogger' reimagined as a CW2 map!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Kithros on September 16, 2011, 07:41:42 AM
I've been a bit busy so I can't play it for a few days - my laptop is terribly slow so I can't play bigger maps on it well. Also, while I'm not saying this particular score isn't legit, there have been times where SkiWV has had blatantly impossible times on maps so I can't take any of his times anywhere very seriously.

EDIT: For some examples of blatantly impossible times look at map ID 145, and map ID 107 - both feature creeper surrounded by solid terrain that can't possibly be reached until the fields move them, and his times are before those fields activate, so it's a pretty safe bet that some bug/hack is involved.

Real glad someone else noticed that.
dbit

UpperKEES

Ah, good to know. Now I remember that name being mentioned before....

I sure hope you believe my score is valid though! ;) Like I said it was set without destroying the digging gateways prematurely.

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 16, 2011, 07:49:11 AM
Holy smoke!

The effort and detail that's gone into this map...

I love the way arcade classics keep popping up in CW2 - first Space invaders, then Centipede, now a pinball table! Maybe some others I missed too.

Can't wait to see 'Frogger' reimagined as a CW2 map!

Yeah, I actually thought of making a series of classic arcade games. Maybe I will, but probably I won't, because it just takes too much time to get it all right to my standards. On the other hand it's very satisfying when it finally works out the way I planned it (or better), so it's very well possible that I can't resist once I've got my mind set on it.

Micheal420

yeah i agree with you as well i think he has some kind of hack for those maps , just something does not add up