Corner squares of Odin City

Started by UpperKEES, March 24, 2010, 03:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

When you move Odin City, the four corner squares can be placed 'on' another structure (totem, civilian, military, rtc.), as those squares are actually not part of OC. There are however 3 inconsistencies:

- You can't put those corner squares on a location with a higher or lower elevation, so this is apparently interpreted differently than a structure.
- You can't put those corner squares on a location where a military unit is going to be (when this unit is still flying to it's destination). When the unit has landed you can put OC on this same spot.
- You can't put a structure on one of the corner squares where OC is going to be (when it is still flying to it's destination). When OC has landed you can put a unit on this same spot.

The shape of the cursor (the big square) is also a bit misleading. (I noticed by the way that sometimes the cursor changes to this big square when selecting a military unit; I'm not sure when exactly.)

Edit:
- The big square cursor when selecting a military units happens when the previous selection was Odin City
- The problem with the corner squares is not only applicable to OC, but also to Thor.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Cheesecake

I know! It's freaking annoying!!!  >:(

Blaze

Always thought that was weird... Maybe its because Odin City does not actually cover those spots? Look at how OC looks you'll see what I mean.

UpperKEES

Yes, I'm sure it is intentional that you can use those four squares. It is just not implemented correctly in all situations (see 3 exceptions above).

Xylnalya

Odin's size stands out of the lot of other buildings - I guess the same code is used and for proper allocation or simplicity the square form was used, while (as you can retrace on the green tiles Odin creates) the actual building isn't a square but rather a fat cross. To reuse the prior movement scripts and to keep the math simple a square is much better to relocate in CWs codes. The same principle goes for Thor, as he goes above standard size as well.
The buildings on Odin's edge overlap the graphics a bit, but in games it's a whole different subject whether it's the animation or the collision.

UpperKEES

I know that, I'm just saying it's implemented inconsistently, which results in different behaviour between flying units and units on he ground.

Xylnalya