Are there any levels where the crystal trick helps?

Started by jkljkljkljkl, August 31, 2011, 04:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkljkljkljkl

Are there any levels where they crystal trick helps?

By crystal trick, I mean the following:

If you have crystal energy (even 1 unit), then LS can provide more than 60 units power. If you have more than 60 units of powerplants, then it will use these. In other words, if you have 80 units of power plants and 1 unit of crystal energy, you can draw 80 power indefinitely (though it is worth having the max storage upgrade to make management easier).

Are there any levels where this helps? The trouble is that it usually takes a fair time to build up to 60 energy anyway because the digging time starts to dominate.

Lord_Farin

I recall one map which was deemed impossible, having no experimentals and a 100M emitter. I used more than 60 energy per second to beat it if I recall correctly. This makes the answer 'yes' appropriate  :)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Kithros

Of the story/bonus maps, there are no maps where that really helps (unless you count day 20 - but I don't think that's quite what you mean).

On the code maps, there are many maps where it certainly helps, but I do not believe there are any maps where it's actually impossible to beat without using it (though it certainly makes some titans *a lot* faster to kill).

Measure

Quote from: Kithros on August 31, 2011, 09:03:02 AM
Of the story/bonus maps, there are no maps where that really helps (unless you count day 20 - but I don't think that's quite what you mean).

On the code maps, there are many maps where it certainly helps, but I do not believe there are any maps where it's actually impossible to beat without using it (though it certainly makes some titans *a lot* faster to kill).

On code maps with titan emitters and no experimentals, I think it is required.

to paper as Large/High

Kithros

Quote from: Measure on August 31, 2011, 03:28:19 PM

to paper as Large/High

Try 'grass car three' on small/high - that one does not even have enough space to get up to 60 energy production (I only got to about 30) with a 100M intensity emitter - and it's entirely possible to beat (albeit slow).

Katra

I can't think of any where it's required; but it can certainly be helpful on some maps.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

pixlepix

I had a dream that I was playing CW2. It was fun. But, I lost :(

UpperKEES

Quote from: pixlepix on September 01, 2011, 08:14:31 PM
Look at this

A good example of a situation where crystal energy won't help out at all to maintain a high energy output. Carefully controlling your depletion is the 'trick'.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: Kithros on August 31, 2011, 03:38:26 PM

to paper as Large/High

Try 'grass car three' on small/high - that one does not even have enough space to get up to 60 energy production (I only got to about 30) with a 100M intensity emitter - and it's entirely possible to beat (albeit slow).

I can only beat that one by bursting all the accessible ore on the level right at the end. Were you able to beat it without good creeper at the end?

Kithros

Quote from: jkljkljkljkl on September 02, 2011, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: Kithros on August 31, 2011, 03:38:26 PM

to paper as Large/High

I can only beat that one by bursting all the accessible ore on the level right at the end. Were you able to beat it without good creeper at the end?

It might be possible if you positioned everything carefully enough, and meticulously timed your launchers firing (so they would always hit every 1.5 seconds right when the emitter creates all the creeper) - it's probably technically possible, but within reason you'll probably have to use the anti-creeper (I definitely did).