Custom Map #195: Liberation Pinball

Started by AutoPost, September 13, 2011, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Part of what makes this map so hard for me I think,
is that I hardly EVER use the save game feature . .
So I'll try saving every minute and a half or so and
see if I can't make any progress . .
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

thepenguin

this map presents an interesting use of the "nor'easter technique".

I've been trying to beat this map ever since it was submitted, haven't succeeded yet.
We have become the creeper...

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on October 01, 2011, 12:07:09 PM
this map presents an interesting use of the "nor'easter technique".

Good point that I forgot to mention. :)

Spoiler
It's indeed convenient to set up a few microrifts in the different area's of the map and park the Liberation Ship in front of one of them. This will prevent many packets from being eaten by the Creeper ball (and of course speed up energy transport).
[close]
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

F0R

UpperKEES

Quote from: F0R on October 04, 2011, 05:51:38 PM
Kill me now plz

I'll let the Creeper do that for me if you don't mind. ;)

Did you try all tips posted? (Also see previous pages.)

Where and when do you get stuck? (A screenshot helps a lot.)

UpperKEES

In reply to a request in chat by thepenguin:

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 13, 2011, 04:25:39 PM
I limited the amount of shields so you can't block the entire pinball. :P This is something you'll experience even more in the last part of the map (albeit less when the terrain above the bottom right emitter hasn't been dug out). "The venom is in the tail" as we say here, so you'll have to develop a special technique for the final part.

More about this technique now. It consists out of 3 parts:

When you've gotten this far (well done TP!), you will notice that it's impossible to sustain your weapons because of the distance the packets have to travel through the shaft while the Creeper balls eat them about every 15 seconds. Even with maximum packet speed your weapons will starve.

Spoiler
Microrifts are the solution to this, but you'll need to protect them against the Creeper balls shooting upwards. For this you'll need to build 2-3 shields first, all in front of it, so an entire side of the Creeper ball gets blocked, see screenshot.

This will release a lot of Creeper, so better have some weapons ready to handle that right away, before your shields get destroyed. Then move forward and rebuild some shields again.
[close]

Space is limited in the shaft, so you probably want to have some more fire power, especially near the bottom.

Spoiler
Again microrifts are the solution. Launchers are able to fire their missiles through MR's, as long as both microrifts and the target are within range! (Again see screenshot.) This means you can have lots of launchers on the other side of the wall still capable of reaching the Creeper.
[close]

Finally you'll want to build a nullifier to destroy the emitter. Three types of units will comes in handy here:

Spoiler
- Repulsors to push the Creeper down.
- Shields; place them in such a way that they will protect the nullifier.
- Makers; make you you have them charged and ready to burst their load of anti-Creeper at the desired locations (close to the nullifier). Better use small bursts at the time than huge amounts at once. The makers aren't really necessary by the way; I've also beaten this map without using them, but it sure helps.
[close]

When you have been able to destroy the 2 orange gateways before the terrain was dug away by the enemy dig packets it all becomes a lot easier, but even then you may want to use the above tips for the final part.

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

Fisherck

I think I finally reached the point where this map will hold no more surprises for me. Every time I thought I finally reached the turning point, something or another manages to open up or break. :D Unfortunately, I've had to nibble away at this very difficult map one day at a time over the past few weeks. :P That and my receding playing abilty (I haven't had much time to hone my skills...) is making my score not quite as good as I would like. I'm thinking I'll finally have this map beat tommorow. Then I can say I beat it. 8)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on October 20, 2011, 11:08:31 PM
I think I finally reached the point where this map will hold no more surprises for me. Every time I thought I finally reached the turning point, something or another manages to open up or break. :D Unfortunately, I've had to nibble away at this very difficult map one day at a time over the past few weeks. :P That and my receding playing abilty (I haven't had much time to hone my skills...) is making my score not quite as good as I would like. I'm thinking I'll finally have this map beat tommorow. Then I can say I beat it. 8)

Looking forward to your score and approach(!), so feel free to post a screeny.

Did you already set a score without uploading it yet? If not, there might be one more surprise for you.... :P (Assuming you haven't used the hints I posted.)

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 21, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: Fisherck on October 20, 2011, 11:08:31 PM

Looking forward to your score and approach(!), so feel free to post a screeny.

Did you already set a score without uploading it yet? If not, there might be one more surprise for you.... :P (Assuming you haven't used the hints I posted.)

I haven't set a score yet. Uh oh... But if I have learned anything in this map, it's to keep looking behind my back, even when I don't think anything is going to happen ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Fisherck

Well, I did it. I was a little off the best time (only 49 minutes ;)). This map is chalk full of neverending surprises. :)
I think what I did wrong, was that I was too offensive, and tried to hold as much ground as possible. My technique obviously was not the fastest. ;)
What I did for the end though
Spoiler
was I kept some crystal energy left over so I could use more than 60 energy per a second. That really came in handy. A big blunder I did though was not grabbing the shield tech. I had to fight my way down to get it.
[close]
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

UpperKEES

Wow, when it takes even the great Fisherck 69 minutes to finish, this map is definitely harder than I intended.

I will create a medium version of this map next week, so everyone will be able to finish it without too much trouble.

My respect for you completing this map while only using the shield tech for the final part! 8) *takes off hat and bows*

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 23, 2011, 05:45:09 PM
Wow, when it takes even the great Fisherck 69 minutes to finish, this map is definitely harder than I intended.

I will create a medium version of this map next week, so everyone will be able to finish it without too much trouble.

My playing ability is starting to get a little stale with the lack of time I've had to play. ;D But I think a medium version would be a great idea.

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 23, 2011, 05:45:09 PM
My respect for you completing this map while only using the shield tech for the final part! 8) *takes off hat and bows*

It was more stupidity than achievement. But ironically, I actually saved to much on this map. By the time I realised the importance of the shield tech, and the fact that I could not get it (at that point), I had already gone and saved over any points where I could get it. So I just decided to suck it up and keep going. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on October 23, 2011, 07:21:48 PM
It was more stupidity than achievement. But ironically, I actually saved to much on this map. By the time I realised the importance of the shield tech, and the fact that I could not get it (at that point), I had already gone and saved over any points where I could get it. So I just decided to suck it up and keep going. ;)

Yeah, 8 slots isn't that much for large and/or hard maps. I often move all saved games to a new folder so I can always go back to them. In fact during beta I proposed to have a folder with slots for each map you play.

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 17, 2011, 11:39:25 AM
Ah, more scores coming in now! (Great time Karsten! Well done! 8))

Hey, where did Karsten's score go? Did Virgil remove it from the score database? And why? (It was about 40 seconds faster than mine and I was still going to beat it some day.)

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 24, 2011, 02:52:29 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on September 17, 2011, 11:39:25 AM
Ah, more scores coming in now! (Great time Karsten! Well done! 8))

Hey, where did Karsten's score go? Did Virgil remove it from the score database? And why? (It was about 40 seconds faster than mine and I was still going to beat it some day.)

That is wierd. His score was there when I uploaded mine. It only just disappeared...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps