Game Mechanics Quiz 2 - Do you know more?

Started by UpperKEES, December 06, 2010, 03:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Okay, here we go with the second edition of the Game Mechanics Quiz. This time with a slightly different format than Quiz 1:

Rules:
- I'll post a total of 10 questions; these can be open or closed (multiple choice).
- I'll post two questions simultaneously each Wednesday (time permitting) for 5 consecutive weeks.
- Each participant has until Sunday evening at midnight forum time* (this is not your local time or adjusted forum time!) to post one or both answers.
- Each participant will receive 1 point for every correct answer.
- Because my 'answers' do not differ from yours in the sense that I get my data from testing as well, I will first post my own findings. When others found something else, we can have a nice discussion about it before we reach a consensus about the final answer. This discussion will be open for 2 days (until Tuesday midnight forum time). Points will be rewarded after that.
- You are allowed to edit your post / change your answer(s) as often as you like, but make sure you do this before the deadline.
- Answers posted or edited after the deadline will not be taken into account.
- Please make sure you specify which question you're answering. Answers without the number of the question will not be taken into account.
- The person with most points in the end wins (should be mid January).
- When there's a tie or a difference of only 1 point, I will keep asking questions until we have a winner with a 2 point lead. Anyone can participate with these additional questions and try to catch up.
- Of course you're allowed to create your own testmap in the map editor to figure it out empirically.

* Forum time (GMT/UTC minus 5 hours) is used to determine the deadline: midnight sharp every Sunday evening, no exceptions!

RankNamePoints

1.ctuna
Kapoios
3.Katra
sqaz
5.Fisherck
ontheworld
Michionlion
mthw2vc
ssddgghh
10.SPIFFEN
J
Blaze
thepenguin
hi
Gaara

Question 1:
Drones fly in different patterns and drop their bombs in different patterns. What determines these patterns?
A. The distance between their base and target
B. The angle between their base and target
C. Their take-off angle
D. The distance between their base and the edge of the map
E. The distance between their target and the edge of the map
F. A random factor
G. Two of the options A to F
H. Three of the options A to F
I. Four of the options A to F
J. Five of the options A to F
K. All options A to F

Answer 1: see here.

Question 2:
What determines the amount of time that a 100% healthy disarmed military unit can survive in the creeper?
A. The percentage of the unit's surface touched by creeper
B. The creeper depth
C. The distance between the touching creeper and the center of the unit
D. The type of unit
E. The presence of an emitter touching the unit
F. Whether this unit is connected to Odin City or not
G. Two of the options A to F
H. Three of the options A to F
I. Four of the options A to F
J. Five of the options A to F
K. All options A to F

Answer 2: see here.

Question 3:
What is the maximum damage of a mine expressed in cubic creeper cells? (This is an open question.)

Question 4:
What is the factual maximum distance that can be bridged in practice on a creeper map? (Answers are expressed in whole pixels and the size of 1 block in CW is 10 by 10 pixels.)

A. 108   F. 119   K. 234
B. 109   G. 120   L. 237
C. 110   H. 216   M. 238
D. 117   I. 219   N. 239
E. 118   J. 220   O. 240
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

Okay, after testing...
1.H
2.G

P.S. Don't you know that multiple choice questions are only supposed to have 4 options. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

ontheworld

SPIFFEN

Q#1 = B

Q#2 = F
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Michionlion

Question 1: C
Question 2: G
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

J

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on December 06, 2010, 09:47:53 AM
P.S. Don't you know that multiple choice questions are only supposed to have 4 options. ;)

You should know by now that everything is different in the Creeper World! :P

Kapoios

I'm a bit confused about question 1. The answers are not independent. D/E are special cases of A/B. Let's say I think the location of the base matters. Then, obviously, the distance of the base from the edge also matters since if you change the distance you also change the location, so I should choose both? So, what am I claiming if I choose D but not A? A but not D? Certainly if D and E are sufficient to determine the pattern, so also are A and B, since A and B contain more information (maybe they even contain C, though I don't know).

Basically, it's like saying: What determines x^2?
A: x
B: |x|

Obviously, x^2 depends on x, but not on its sign, i.e. only on its absolute value. But that doesn't stop A being right! x certainly determines x^2. Should I choose both?

Then again, in the question: What determines x^3, I could still answer both A and B if I interpret "determines" as "what does it depend on". x^3 certainly depends on |x|.

Can you please clarify it? :)

UpperKEES

I get your point, so I rephrased answers A and B. It seems different, but it comes to the same thing. People can of course change their answers when they interpreted my initial text differently than intended.

By the way: your little math example really clarifies it for the average reader, hahaha! :P

Grauniad

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 06, 2010, 03:24:21 AM

Question 1:
Drones fly in different patterns and drop their bombs in different patterns. What determines these patterns?
A. The distance between their base and target
B. The angle between their base and target
C. Their take-off angle

Perhaps now I'm missing something, but is the take-off angle not determined by B. The angle between their base and target?

I do seem to recollect some "randomness" in how drones take off, but if that was truly random,it would  invalidate this question, so then there is an adjunct question on "what determines the take-off angle of a drone?"
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grauniad on December 06, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
Perhaps now I'm missing something, but is the take-off angle not determined by B. The angle between their base and target?

Also for their second flight? ;) Please don't answer that question....

Quote from: Grauniad on December 06, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
if that was truly random,it would  invalidate this question

Answer F could suit your needs....

Katra

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Blaze

Q1: C.
Q2: B.

Both are from experience, not testing or knowledge of the game, just from memory of past games.

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...