Map Editor - Relative positioning for actions

Started by yui56, October 27, 2011, 08:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yui56

(note: I'm new to this whole map-making thing, so if this is actually an option in the editor, I'd love to know where/how!)

I'd love to be able to define relative position coordinates for "move to {x,y}".  I have two suggestions.  Either would be a great tool to have, both would be epic!

OriginalX, OriginalY:
A command of "move to {(origX + 20), (origY - 10)}" would move the field to an offset of {+20, -10} relative to the original starting position of the field (ex: start = {100,100}, move -> {120,90}, move -> {120, 90}, move -> {120, 90}, etc).  Orig X & Y would be constant values, and if you were to loop this move action, the field would essentially remain in one place.

LastX, LastY:
A command of "move to {(lastX + 20), (lastY - 10)}" would move the field to an offset of {+20, -10} relative to the most recent position of the field. (ex: start = {100, 100}, move -> {120, 90}, move -> {140, 80}, move -> {160, 70}, etc).  Looping on this action would essentially move the field by that same offset each time.

Think of how much easier it would be to deal with moving fields if you could operate in a "relative" coordinate space instead of an "absolute" one!  Relocating an already designed field a few spaces to the left would be incredibly simple, and duplicating fields for similar behavior would no longer be an exercise in tedious recalculating of coordinates.

UpperKEES

Yep, this would be great, just like being able to indicate movement coordinates by dragging the mouse on the map. Some of these kind of convenience issues are on Virgil's to-do-list for the editor, but he first needs to find the time to implement that kind of stuff.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview