Tight Corner Collectors

Started by Vinkor, March 13, 2010, 06:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Wouldn't it be possible to check for this in the function that determines when a wall has decayed?

And what about the initial question in this topic? Is the line of sight function applicable for squares on the same elevation level, but behind a tiny hole or narrow canyon?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

When a wall segment decays it could have to know what collectors are nearby and tell them to rescan their deployment area.  It would probably be better to just have each collector rescan its deployment areas every 1.random() seconds.

As for the LOS, it looks like it is strict line of sight... if you put a single celled hill or valley right beside a collector, that hill or valley will case a shadow.  So the projection grid made by a collector does not wrap around depressions.  See this image to see what I mean.  There is a collector that has a single cell valley on the left and a single cell hill on the right.  The green collection grid does not wrap around the terrain anomalies.

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on March 14, 2010, 07:54:45 PM
It would probably be better to just have each collector rescan its deployment areas every 1.random() seconds.

Oh, I would expect that to be more CPU intensive than checking just once when a part of a wall has decayed.

Quote from: virgilw on March 14, 2010, 07:54:45 PM
As for the LOS, it looks like it is strict line of sight [...] The green collection grid does not wrap around the terrain anomalies.

Well, that's clear then, thanks!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Vinkor

Ok that makes sense about the LOS but with the wall thing, since collectors can use energy of buildings or other things on top of it's energy space why not walls?