Custom Map Backlog

Started by knucracker, January 30, 2010, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

So, I am currently 45 submitted custom maps behind!  At the current rate this means there is a 4-5 day waiting period since I only post 10 maps per day.

I am re-doing the map viewing page and will try to have a new version up tomorrow night sometime.  At that time I should be able to start posting more than 10 maps per day.

TheBuilder

thanks, should do it so there r like 4 colums instead of 1, though ull have to shorten the width of course
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

teengamer

Quote from: TheBuilder on January 30, 2010, 09:18:32 PM
thanks, should do it so there r like 4 colums instead of 1, though ull have to shorten the width of course
I 2nd this!

Aurzel

4 columns would be too wide i think, 2 would do fine i think

xing

Perhaps you should have made the map creation tool harder to use ?  ;)

Only joking .. thanks for making great software that we all want to be a part of  ;D

knucracker

4?  I've been experimenting with 10!  :)

TheBuilder

10! that would be freakin awsome, to have 100 custom maps per page would be perfect

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

lol 10 o.o
that would certainly solve your problems

CyberDyneSystems

Any chance (and forgive me if this has been discussed) any chance of making the Map download section searchable?

Often I DL a map, play it weeks later, then want to comment, but finding it amidst the now 40 some odd pages is.. well, difficult.

---Now is when someone usually comes along and says, "it is searchable you dufus, click here"  :-[

Mrmcdeath

Don't worry Cyber... he's trying. If you know the author then just search for it.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

knucracker

First revamp is up.  I went with 5 wide and 75 total per page.   I simplified the front page info, but everything is still there.  When you click a map you go to the detail page for that map.  This may have the effect of driving more comments over time since you have to go to that page before you can download it.

I left the rating off of the main page, but it is still there on the detail page.  So a user at least has to click on the map and have a chance of reading more about it before they can rate it.

I have added the search.  It does a substring search across both the title and the description.  The author filter is still there but I sort alphabetically now.  I have removed the sort options for now.  I wasn't too happy with the map rankings being used as a sort, and the search and author filter handle most of the other use cases.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.  Now I just have to sit down later tonight and try to post 20+ maps so I can start to catch up.

Karsten75

Just one observation, perhaps I overlooked this in my initial look.  I do not see the difficulty level of the map in the overview map page, nor do I see a filter for that. 

It pretty much homogenizes all maps, regardless of rating (which not many maps stood out on anyway), difficulty or any other aspect.

TheBuilder

like he said he did it this way so that u have to go to the map's page to see such things

They said, "Life."

knucracker

So I show the difficulty on the overview now.  I also changed the background color to match the difficulty.  I don't know if I'll keep this or not.... just trying it out.

TheBuilder

wow, that actually makes the custom maps page more fun to look at.  I say keep it that way

They said, "Life."