Upgrade menu for each tower (edited)

Started by Joselito, January 13, 2010, 12:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joselito

I do not like the upgrades system in this game. if you see other TD's. will notice that whenever you click on any tower, you can upgrade through a menu. Upgrades are always expensive and time consuming, but make more impact on the performance of the tower. For me, the best system upgrades is the Bubble Tanks Tower Defense, where you build the basic tower and make upgrades and each upgrade you make, the tower becomes more and more specific. But Bubble tanks tower defense is only a flash game, then you can do better than that.
EDIT:
So, I was paying Warcraft III and remind the "blacksmith" (that house that do the upgrades), so I though you could put something like the blacksmith on the game, and in the place where's the "disarm" button on military towers could be the upgrades  :)
"then it comes to be that sooting light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way" - James Hetfield At song: No leaf clover

djcian

i agree in that upgrade systems like you specified are awesome ;D it is just that in creeper world i prefer the strategy involved in gathering nanobots on the field.  it works for a game like creeper world.  now if you incorporated both upgrade options........ you can try but i don't think it could work out.  and i don't know why it just doesn't seem right for creeper world.  other people have also speculated about upgrades and it has always been shot down
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Sniper

The question really is "what is the game about?".

Mentioned Bubble Tanks TD is only about towers. They are fixed and you must find good strategy of upgrading them.

Creeper World is not about towers. It is about appropriate use of energy and handling risks - to build required building on good places and find the best place to strike (minimum consumed energy / maximum blocking effect).

So IMHO there are more needed things to be programmed than updates of towers.
If you think noone watchs you, my agents will get bonus.

Aurzel

sniper's right, people see the words tower defence and they thing where's the upgrade system? cw isnt really a TD at all, apart from the fact that its military buildings are like towers, but they move and need fuel and are connected by a network and a whole bunch of things not in TDs

Sniper

Despite my negative reply, I would say that some sort of tower update might be interesting.

For example there can be possibility to build cheaper stationary towers (blaster, mortar, SAM). And upgrade them to movable later (building stationary + upgrading would be more expansive, but you would have the benefit of having stationary one faster).

Joselito

You're right, but I don't want a game so similar to the bubble tanks TD, I just want the better upgrades in the towers, for example being: I a mortar, and then make an upgrade to save more energy for it to attack without connectivity other collectors for more time, just 2 or 3 shots. It could be an upgrade for the Drone have more energy in order to stay bombing an area for more time too. Upgrades can take too much energy and time too.
"then it comes to be that sooting light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way" - James Hetfield At song: No leaf clover

deathly_god5

I don't think you should do upgrades, because as someone mentioned earlier this isn't really a TD game it's more of an RTS game. And the problem with upgrades is that it goes against the goal of the game: to connect the totems as quickly as possible and adding upgrades would/could make the game take longer. But I like the idea of stationary towers.

Karsten75

Quote from: Joselito on January 13, 2010, 01:02:17 PM
You're right, but I don't want a game so similar to the bubble tanks TD, I just want the better upgrades in the towers, for example being: I a mortar, and then make an upgrade to save more energy for it to attack without connectivity other collectors for more time, just 2 or 3 shots. It could be an upgrade for the Drone have more energy in order to stay bombing an area for more time too. Upgrades can take too much energy and time too.

If you change things like that, you change how the game operate. Then all the maps written without that consideration becoame a lot easier. Then what's the point? The idea is to get a good score with the same material as all the rest have.

You just want to bash the heck out of something? Go try Gemcraft Chapter Zero. Build a lot of traps and full them with Red/Orange gems that fire at max speed for max mana. You can then just sit there and shoot the crap out of the monsters. You'll neverrun out of mana.

nic nac

This is not one of that lame TDs. This is something better, and I deem that FORCED upgrades redicolous.
logical S... means big S... - me

deathly_god5

I agree a forced upgrade would be stupid and time consuming and defeat the point of the goal of the game. I got an idea for the stationary towers though, instead of making the stationary towers upgrade into the roaming ones why not make it an option whenever you scroll over it. Like say the first one is stationary costs less energy to build and then the second one is the mobile one. Only thing is that you would have to have a symbol or something on the stationary or mobile tower so that people wouldn't get them confused.

Joselito

You're saying this is not a TD at all, it's a RTS. I agree with you. I agree with you all. But ALL of the TDs and RTSs I've played have upgrades. I agree with you are saying. But I just want ECONOMIC upgrades. And I said this before. And I don't see how ECONOMIC upgrades can defeat the point of the goal of the game. The goal is to link the stupid totems, the goal will be to link tha stupid totems and I believe that the goal WILL CONTINUE TO BE TO LINK DA STUPID TOTEMS FOREVER. And the upgrades there, just helping you. I'm not asking for get tha same idea for TDs to just put Stupid turrets in a place to da stupid towers stay on that place shooting at some kind of something, in order to kill this creature.NO! I just want ECCONOMIC upgrades. OK? : )
Just to remind, in my post I said that the upgrade system of bubble tanks TD is good, I didn't say that I want this game a "bubble creeper tanks world TD". oK?

nic nac

Well, yeah. But they still trip the balance of the "old" maps. The only thing that's needed imo is a research upgrade for the city where you can change the points already addressed as upgrades (energy prod, price, build time, damage, fire rate, move speed) for a price of energy.

btw, creeper world is a flash game, too. it got an exe because its wrapped up in adobe air.
logical S... means big S... - me

Joselito

Quote from: nic nac on January 13, 2010, 09:50:30 PM
Well, yeah. But they still trip the balance of the "old" maps. The only thing that's needed imo is a research upgrade for the city where you can change the points already addressed as upgrades (energy prod, price, build time, damage, fire rate, move speed) for a price of energy.

btw, creeper world is a flash game, too. it got an exe because its wrapped up in adobe air.
yeah, it's almost it I want =) but ecconomic upgrades like I said is good too. Imagine: your drones shooting 3 or 4 bombs more than before in a bombing run : )

Aurzel

who says the goal will forever be to link the totems? several of us have already suggested various other victory conditions to virgil which he's considering

Sniper

Quote from: nic nac on January 13, 2010, 09:50:30 PM
But they still trip the balance of the "old" maps.

Why? Who said it will be applied on old maps? This new feature can be as an option during map building and old map will have automatically stationary towers disabled.