Custom Map #1179: Omni Overload. By: Snaid

Started by AutoPost, July 12, 2018, 01:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1179: Omni Overload

Author: Snaid
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Win this fight using Omnis. you can try other ways but that might be a little difficult...

Brilliand

"Collect all items to complete mission."  Are you kidding me?  That turns speedrunning this map into a problem of optimizing the upper left-hand corner omni collection.  (It's possible to get the ships' lathes helping with that omni pile.)

Well, I defeated all enemies at 273 omnis.  Didn't think I'd need heavily optimize omni collection at first, but I got my amp gem'd lathes in position at 8:40, and just sat waiting at 4x speed for a while.  The map finally finished at 10:09.  It looks like I have the fastest time, with the rest of the times quite variable, so maybe running into that limitation is the exception rather than the rule.  (There are 433 omnis in the stack, apparently.)

GoodMorning

The problem faced by most on this map is that of the cannons - they are sufficiently powerful that the mire cannot pass their maximum range in the reactivation delay, and so well-supplied that it's the range that is the limitation on their effectiveness.

What you must have done is to draw their fire with a well-timed flight of Omnis, rather than purely overwhelming them with mire, which your post implies. Once they have mire under them, they are disabled. Doing this by accident may be the difference.

Finding a good place in the fire/reload cycle to fly more into range and draw fire is the trick. The requirement is only that you have enough still landed to get the mire through the spiral.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Brilliand

Quote from: GoodMorning on July 13, 2018, 05:57:42 AMWhat you must have done is to draw their fire with a well-timed flight of Omnis, rather than purely overwhelming them with mire, which your post implies.

What I actually did was draw their fire with Emergent.  It took a few tries to put my HQ somewhere where it wouldn't be constantly killed by stray cannon fire, but putting my HQ at the top while sending the emergent to the bottom worked well enough that I only lost my HQ once.

Now that you mention it, micromanaging a single omni to draw their fire without letting it die may have been more effective.

GoodMorning

If you decided to do that, you'd do better to use a full stack, and the wide angle of firing cannons makes it almost impossible to get reliable misses.

It could be done, but it only takes one shot to lose the whole stack.

For once, unmodified benign Emergent actually have a use. I'd forgotten about them.

Brilliand

Quote from: GoodMorning on July 13, 2018, 10:07:05 PMFor once, unmodified benign Emergent actually have a use. I'd forgotten about them.

It's never completely useless.  On most maps I use it to take out enemy energy mines, or to deal some secondary damage to a particle field that I want cleared.

GoodMorning

I find that it does noticeable damage (more than amping a ship) less often than it causes MK7s or cannons to snipe my HQ from the other side of the map.

But if you can make it work for you, well done.

isj4

I found it frustrating until I had enough omnis to mire land and thereby eliminate the particulate.
Then I was stuck with difficulties in getting omnis to destroy the mire-emitters and/or the enemy mine.

I then tried something else: Selected all the 300+ omnis and disabled "mire land". The red mire and the canons quickly removed the blue mire in range and then went into idle and then into recharge. I then enabled "mire land" again, and the blue mire rapidly crept over the canons and mine before they could charge. It may be a strategy worth trying for the speedrunners.
Your puny map is no match for my Turtle Power!

GoodMorning

Interesting. I had tried that, but even with the entire landmass covered, I couldn't mire through the in-range snake-bridge before the charging cycle completed.

Brilliand

Quote from: GoodMorning on July 17, 2018, 02:50:46 AM
Interesting. I had tried that, but even with the entire landmass covered, I couldn't mire through the in-range snake-bridge before the charging cycle completed.

It would depend on how many omnis you have.  Since the limiting factor is omni collection speed, and both of our methods tend to get the amp-gem'd lathes killed, lsj4's method might be the way to get a perfect speedrun.

GoodMorning

Quote from: Brilliand on July 17, 2018, 02:35:08 PM
It would depend on how many omnis you have.

All that it was possible to fit on the land to the left of the cannons. With more to spare.