Custom Map #816: Main Menu. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, June 15, 2017, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #816: Main Menu

Author: FOXX
Size: 363x205

Desc:
My 4th Image Map. This one is for GoodMorning -> He has won the Contest of the 3rd Image Map. Mainly Omni Map. Scripting By Stickman, GoodMorning & FOXX #GO Omnis #Spawns #Engineers #Particles Over Mired Land #Challenging

FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

GoodMorning

Very good fun. Thanks, FOXX. For the greater glory of Omnis!
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Johnny Haywire

Aye, another very fun map! It's always good when you enjoy a map, but it's even better when you learn from a map - and that's what this map did for me.

Thanks for the map, FOXX!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

I played again - and halved my time. Time to practice the rush and recall the usefulness of Emergent.

It would help to remember where the triggers were and what they did - but that would spoil the fun!
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on June 16, 2017, 11:04:24 PM
Aye, another very fun map! It's always good when you enjoy a map, but it's even better when you learn from a map - and that's what this map did for me.

Thanks for the map, FOXX!  ;D
I didn't know this was an educative map, glad you enjoyed Johnny !
Quote from: GoodMorning on June 16, 2017, 11:53:40 PM
I played again - and halved my time. Time to practice the rush and recall the usefulness of Emergent.

It would help to remember where the triggers were and what they did - but that would spoil the fun!
I have noticed with testplaying that if you position your first 2 Omnis on the right place and send your 3rd Omni somewhere it gives you a really good start.
So that is what i did. I didn't use Emergent but there are many ways a Map can be played.

Spoiler
IF you look at the Scripts you can figure out what does what but then again -> That would spoil the fun.]

[close]
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

freshbananashea

I enjoyed the difficulty. Foxx as always, your maps don't disappoint. I had to restart a few times to get it right. The stacked omnis were fantastic. I wish there had been at least one more amp gem for omni cannons. Of course we cannot have everything.

I must say, the attention to detail was glorious! Makes me want to strive for better maps.

Johnny Haywire

Ah, the "learning" comment was that with such limited upgrades, I was forced to experiment with different ones from time to time and then switch them up a bit. Made me pay closer attention to the effectiveness and usefulness of each modification rather than just slapping the upgrades in there.

I also don't save the game, try something, and then reload. I go from start to finish just to make it more realistic. Well, usually  ::) So this map forced me to try lots of things that failed before I found something that worked. Still learning the game you know.  ;)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

FOXX

Quote from: freshbananashea on June 17, 2017, 08:24:11 PM
I enjoyed the difficulty. Foxx as always, your maps don't disappoint. I had to restart a few times to get it right. The stacked omnis were fantastic. I wish there had been at least one more amp gem for omni cannons. Of course we cannot have everything.

I must say, the attention to detail was glorious! Makes me want to strive for better maps.
Thanks Freshbananashea. Yeah, i think the start on this Map is quite important, searched for the good start myself when testplaying.
The AmpGem story is that this Map is GoodMornings Map and this is what he said about Map / Tech :
Quote from: GoodMorning on June 05, 2017, 06:15:35 PM
1. Yes, but my thought was to leave them open and encourage unusual choices.
... "Image: main menu. Omnis, techs as strategic uses ...
So i've decided not to give a lot of AmpGems so the player has to make choices with the Techs.

The last sentence is the best compliment i can have. Thanks again.
In the meantime i have played some of your maps.[some early ones and some later ones] and you are defenitely Improving as a mapmaker.
I've played some maps which don't take long to finish but overall they are fun to play and that is maybe the most important thing with Maps.
The looking good part is the time consuming part. [and the conversations for me]
So if, in the future, you are busy making a new map and something is not clear or so you can always PM me and if i can help you i will.

Good Luck Mapmaking Freshbananashea ;)
Quote from: Johnny Haywire on June 17, 2017, 09:45:28 PM
Ah, the "learning" comment was that with such limited upgrades, I was forced to experiment with different ones from time to time and then switch them up a bit. Made me pay closer attention to the effectiveness and usefulness of each modification rather than just slapping the upgrades in there.

I also don't save the game, try something, and then reload. I go from start to finish just to make it more realistic. Well, usually  ::) So this map forced me to try lots of things that failed before I found something that worked. Still learning the game you know.  ;)

Ha, tbh i had about the same when testplaying for this map. It is my first Omni based Map and i didn't play a lot yet so this Map was kinda new territory for me and i had to change my point of view on some things. [and as you can see above this was intended]

I think you do great and make very usefull comments.
Usually the way i play other maps is the first time i play on 4x speed and build some things [not very focussed] and see what happens at the start. With most maps the start can give you a boost for the rest of the map. Then, at one point, i decide to play for 'real' and then i play in 1x speed and sometimes pause the game.
With all the options PF is a game with many strategies and we all choose our own. [or change strategie when a map requires so]

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

freshbananashea

I noticed that if you destroy that first mire spawner you only get access to 2 amp gems. But if you wait as long as possible, you can get a bunch of amp gems. Is this a glitch? Or is it something that you coded into the game using the prpl code?

FOXX

Quote from: freshbananashea on June 23, 2017, 03:56:57 PM
I noticed that if you destroy that first mire spawner you only get access to 2 amp gems. But if you wait as long as possible, you can get a bunch of amp gems. Is this a glitch? Or is it something that you coded into the game using the prpl code?
The First mire spawner [value 16] spawns more mire spawners. The AmpGems are given by picking up an Omni Pickup and one is picking up a Ship Pickup.
Another AmpGem
Is hidden under the Energy Source On the South Island
[close]
What do you mean by a bunch?
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

freshbananashea

Access to the other amp gems for some reason was blocked if you destroyed the first mire spawner too soon. I don't know if its a glitch or intended. Was quite challenging. I played it and then watched ShadeofDead play it. He got more amp gems than me. He didn't destroy the first mire spawner. That is the only difference I noticed.

FOXX

Quote from: freshbananashea on June 23, 2017, 10:24:08 PM
Access to the other amp gems for some reason was blocked if you destroyed the first mire spawner too soon. I don't know if its a glitch or intended. Was quite challenging. I played it and then watched ShadeofDead play it. He got more amp gems than me. He didn't destroy the first mire spawner. That is the only difference I noticed.
I have checked the Scripts just to make sure i don't miss anything. [Also watched ShadeofDead play this map]
AmpGems

1 AmpGem is under an Energy Source at Coords 49 104
2 AmpGem with Omni Pickup at Coords 81 195
3+4 AmpGem with Omni Pickup at Coords 110 113
5 AmpGem with Ship Pickup at Coords  110 80
So in total you should have 5 AmpGems, if you have more then 5 i would consider this a glitch. If you have less then 5 that would be strange because nothing is Scripted to Block off anything.
[close]

The MireSpawner at Coords 56 187 [the one ShadeofDead didn't destroy in the Beginning] has no effect on AmpGems. I believe Shade had 5 AmpGems in the end.

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

freshbananashea

hmmm.. Don't know what to say... I only had two in the end...

I will play that map again and see if I glitched out or something. I'll let you know.