Ship #935: Corvette. Designer: Lyle

Started by AutoPost, April 01, 2017, 01:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of ship #935: Corvette

Size: 11x11
Designer: Lyle

Desc:
A relatively small, easily positionned fighting ship. Carries only minimal accessories, largely weapons, so it should be deployed as part of a larger force only. Rapid, and armed mostly with energy efficient weaponry.

This ship was modified on: Apr 02 2017 23:06:53 GMT

agentlyseria

This ship has been updated after playtesting.

Removed: one of the three engines, and the rear beam.
Added: a single reactor.

Testing has proven the corvette to be pointlessly fast.  And, to my shame, I've only recently discovered the point of reactors.  The addition of one should reduce, at least slightly, the energy requirements of sustaining a large fleet.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

GoodMorning

Each reactor is 1.5eps. This is significant on maps in the intended style, where a vessel the size of the HQ is a fairly heavyweight craft. The HQ can run for significant periods off the 3eps from internal Reactors alone.

Most Exchange maps seem to contain vast ships, huge economies, and enough power; that reactor modules are a small part of the whole.

This ship feels as one of those from the story, and I hope to see a map from you which uses this tidy fleet you are assembling.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

agentlyseria

Them words got me thinking...

It's easy for me to say "Oh, I've got no skill at that (making maps).  Never did it!  Except, like, back in Starcraft or some other super dated thing".

But that's the lazy option, isn't it?

Considering making a mini campaign now, with adapted maps to the fleet composition that builds up into a fully functional fleet.

GoodMorning

I encourage you to. If you need any scripted units or events, you need only ask. There are a number of us who can help.

(I must admit that while I have made maps, I have yet to learn to balance them. So my main contribution now is in scripting. Which is also a poor excuse, but I excuse that excuse to myself by pleading a lack of time that I shouldn't be applying to other things in the court of private opinion. The previous sentence makes sense, though it could probably be put better.)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

Quote from: agentlyseria on April 03, 2017, 09:05:56 AM
........... Considering making a mini campaign now, with adapted maps to the fleet composition that builds up into a fully functional fleet.
Nice idea and i also encourage this.
If i can i will help also.
A few tips to get you started.
Make a Testmap in the editor and testplay a lot to understand what different kind of units do and how they interact with each other.
For example -> with a simple emitter you can adjust a lot to make very different emitters.
With ShipSpawners and DoppelSpawners you also have a lot of options.

Good luck with your Campaign!
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

agentlyseria

Thanks all, folks.

As you may notice, there are now two ships with the name "corvette" (935 and 955, I believe).

I'm presently in the process of assembling a "generation 2 fleet", precisely with the goal of a miniature campaign.

There are... after all, only so few names one can pick to name their warships, especially those designed to be relatively very small.

And yes, if this mini campaign ever becomes a thing, I'll totally have a line of dialog between the crewmembers saying "THIS is a CORVETTE?  Our Destroyers are less well armed than these!".