PRPL 100 (Before 101): A Shipyard with no prior knowledge required.

Started by GoodMorning, January 27, 2017, 10:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

The problem of ship construction speed is of extreme importance in Redacted Space. Specifically, the construction of the bridge module of large ships is extremely slow and often painstaking.

Rising Star offers a solution. Introducing: the Shipyard.

Utilising extradimensional lathing technologies, the Shipyard is a structure able to build any ship bridge in the vicinity at a much accelerated rate, and (optionally) for a much-reduced cost. A Shipyard can be fitted with an internal reactor, or powered from the normal energy supply.

This is designed to be an easy, useful, plug-and-play script. To use it:
Quick Instructions

Place the attached images in the slots they are named for, copy the script into the "scripts" folder, compile, and start using it.
[close]
Detailed Instructions

• Download the script (Shipyard.prpl) and the six custom images, all attached. Optionally download the demonstration map attached
  • Open the map where you want to include a Shipyard in the in-game editor. Ensure that it is paused
  • Navigate (outside the game) to the /particlefleet/editor/YOUR_MAP_NAME_HERE directory.
  • Copy Shipyard.prpl into the scripts folder you will find here
  • Return to the in-game editor. Open the editor panel, and press the button marked "CUSTOM IMAGES"
  • Scroll down the dialog box now visible. For the image "Custom70", press the "Select" button below. Select "Custom70.png" from wherever you downloaded it to. Repeat for all of the custom images. (For those ending in "_256", press the "256x256" button at the top of the custom images pane to show these higher-resolution images.) When you finish, close the custom images pane.
  • Press the "SCRIPTS" button. Press the "COMPILE" button at the bottom of the window. Press the "MAP" button at the top to return to the normal editing panel.
  • Select "ADD STRUCTURES", then "PRPL CORE". Place one
  • Select the PRPL Core you just placed. Ensure the "Enemy" checkbox is unchecked. The editing panel will show a drop-down. Ensure "Shipyard.prpl" is selected, then press "Add". Optionally, change the boxes next to "Map Space" to "15"x"15".
  • Optionally, change the settings to your liking. Press "COMPILE" again when you have finished doing so.
[close]

Ship bridges constructed in range of this structure (when it has power) will be built much faster. An icon will appear behind the bridges of ships being built.

A demonstration map is attached. Feel free to use your own images, or omit them (It may look strange, however).

Edit: The demonstration map now has the shipyard set to friendly. Thanks to Sitckman and planetfall for mentioning this.

Edit: Thanks to Stickman for letting me know that the reactor setting wasn't connected. The script and save have been updated.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Stickman

Great job!

I highly recommend anyone who tries to make maps to at least try this thing once. It wouldn't take a lot of time to familiarize yourself with it, and it Shipyard might be a great addition to your map if you have any large ship that is huge and awesome, but just sits here for 10 minutes waiting to be built. And you probably have one.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

GoodMorning

To explain the possible settings in more detail:
Settings

• Range: How far out can the shipyard build? Defaults to being the same as a default energy source.
  • TakesPower: Will it use energy from your energy mines? 1 for yes, 0 for no. (If you check the "Enemy" checkbox of the Core, only enemy mines will supply it.)
  • PowerInterval: The time between energy requests in frames. There are 30 frames in one game second. This is only relevant if TakesPower is set to 1.
  • Reactor: The internal reactor power. Defaults to 0. If you use it then it will usually be under 0.05, which represents 1.5 energy per second, constantly.
  • BatterySize: How much power can be stored. Defaults to 100. Make sure it is no less than BuildCost.
  • BatteryCharge: How much power the Shipyard will begin with. This will be reapplied if you hit "RECOMPILE". Defaults to -1, which doesn't change the amount of energy stored.
  • TapCrystalForBuild: Allows you to optionally specify the location of an energy crystal (pod) that the shipyard can tap directly. Defaults to 1 (on).
  • RequireCrystalBuilt: Must the energy pod be lathed from fragments to a single yellow structure before it can be used?
  • CrystalX, CrystalY: The crystal coordinates. It doesn't matter if there is no crystal there, the script allows for it having already (say) having been depleted. Defaults to -1, which assumes alignment with the shipyard. You can specify only one of these.
  • BuildGap: Number of frames between building a little more. Default 5, for six builds per second.
  • BuildAmt: How much to add to the ship construction each time. Default 1 packet-worth. May round fractional numbers down.
  • BuildCost: How much power to consume. Defaults to -1, which causes it to consume BuildAmt energy each time.
[close]

Thanks to Stickman for reminding me to provide that list.

Dark Ambition

We can use this in our maps, yes? If we credit you in the description, or something? I think this will definitely be of some use in my map series, as sometimes the large HQ's can get destroyed and they take a while to rebuild. Other large ships will be in some of them as well, making this extremely useful. Also, it looks good.

GoodMorning

Definitely. (And thank you.)

To all:
In case I wasn't clear in the first post; please use this as often as you want. I built it to be used.

FOXX

I have added this in my new Adventure [witch is not ready yet]
and with the ShipYard you really can Boostup the start of a map.
It is easy to set up [add 5 Images - make a PRPL Core - Add Script - place Energy Pod - Insert CrystalX and CrystalY values] and with the default settings it builds ships a lot faster.
If you make yourself familiar with the options you can Boostup even more.
This means you can let particles come more early because ships are building faster so no more long waiting until ships get build.
I recommend this if you have large ships to build.
Mapmakers -> Take a look at this !!
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS