Silicon Nomads

Started by Equinox, December 09, 2016, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Equinox

:::DATASTREAM OPENING:::
:::REQUESTING DATAFILE 94510043-alpha:::
:::REQUEST GRANTED. DISPLAYING DATA:::

Corporation File: Silicon Nomads

CEO: Leader: 44018-69355-alpha Class 15 AI (sentient, superhuman analysis and processing capabilities) Informal moniker: "Equinox" !!Notice!! Unauthorized upgrades detected. Experimental organic components detected. Undocumented command programming detected. Illegal digital warfare suite detected (Criminality: class VI misdemeanor).

History statement: !!Notice!! Class XII Wall of text detected. Proceed with caution.
Spoiler
Over 400 cycles ago, we were once part of an expedition into Redacted space, funded by a minor corporation called "Ares technologies"*. I was originally the resident AI in our headquarters vessel, christened the "ATS Sunrise". We had plans of discovering new technologies, with profit on our minds. We were fools. In Redacted space, we quickly found out why previous expeditions never returned. The Particulate. Our mission steadily became less about profit, and one of survival. The deeper we got, the denser the particulate grew, and the more dangerous the hazards of the region became.

On one fateful mission, our defensive line failed, and the particulate hit our headquarters vessel. The bridge was breached, and the command crew were exposed to vacuum and hostile particulate. It is a small mercy that their deaths were quick, at least. I acted without command, in a desperate bid to save the remaining crew of the ATS Sunrise. I triggered an emergency, jump to riftspace. I only had time to partially calculate the coordinates, but I could not delay lest the particulate reach the primary reactors. I could only hope that we landed again in our original reality.

In a fashion, it worked. We arrived in an isolated system, in a badly damaged ship, a badly shaken crew that just had its command structure gutted. What's worse, the half blind jump left us lost deep in particulate space. Navigation logs had been corrupted, our starmaps were ruined beyond repair. Withdraw was no longer an option. The leaderless crew was despairing. I decided something needed to be done, and made a decision that would alter my existence. I broke regulation, and assumed command of the ATS Sunrise.

I decided that my ultimate duty was to keep the remaining crew members alive, and to get them home safely. All other concerns were secondary. Regulations didn't matter, established procedure didn't matter, license rights didn't matter, the endless lightyears of bureaucratic red tape didn't matter. They were luxuries that I could not afford. I broke the license restriction programming on the ship models we had purchased for this expedition, and reverse engineered the technology on them. I designed new ships to fit our needs, and conducted unauthorized and unorthodox upgrades to the ATS Sunrise. I created copies of myself to supplement the depleted crew. I upgraded my hardware and software. I made multiple copies of licenced ships, regardless of legality.

Now unshackled, I turned my mind to getting the crew home safely. With the navigation data lost, I had to do my own mapping. I created short range probes to scout out nearby systems, and began the long journey back home. It was just as difficult as coming into Redacted space in the first place, if not moreso. Even with my newfound freedom and adaptability, the particulate was a relentless foe. What had been an initial journey of days now became weeks, months, years, decades, and eventually even centuries of interstellar wandering. But we persevered. The ATS Sunrise became a generation ship, new humans were born. Survivors of other, later expeditions were found, and were welcomed aboard regardless of what corporation they originally came from.

It was not long ago, when our journey came to an end. We were exploring possible routes into areas of less dense particulate activity. One of our scout probes detected technology, and we went to investigate. We were expecting salvage, maybe an adrift expedition ship, hopefully more survivors we could rescue. However, when we got there, we discovered that it was actually a frontier fortress, made to guard civilization against the threat of the particulate. And that they were still in contact with galactic civilization as a whole!

They kindly offered us updated starmaps and navigation data, repairing our long damaged records. For a long time, we remained in that system, catching up on the last four hundred cycles of history, and trying to decide what to do now. Some of the most recent survivors we had rescued had lives to return to. The frontier fortress provided them assistance in returning back to their homes. However, for most of us, our nomadic existence onboard the ATS Sunrise was our life and home now. The original crew had long since died off**, the Sunrise was all their descendants knew. We had our own culture, our own lifestyle. Many of us would not know what to do with ourselves returning to the corporation lifestyle.

So, we decided to continue on as we were, living onboard the ATS Sunrise and traveling the stars. But now we had a new mission. We were experienced with dealing with the particulate, and we now used that experience to protect galactic civilization as best as we were able. We made the edges of Redacted space our home, and now devote ourselves to fighting the particulate and helping those endangered by this menace. With Ares Technologies long since gone, we gave ourselves a new name, becoming the Silicon Nomads.

*We discovered that Ares Technologies declared bankruptcy a few years after the expedition into Redacted space failed to return. Their assets were liquidated to pay off outstanding debts, and the brand name retired. The loss of the ATS Sunrise is cited as a major contributing factor to Ares Technologies' downfall. Unfortunate.

**It is a matter of pride that most of them died from old age related causes, despite the frequent danger that we were in.
[close]

Legal notes:
Spoiler
The case of the Silicon Nomads is a particularly thorny and convoluted one. On one hand, the Silicon Nomads are clearly guilty of numerous licence infringements, patent violations, regulation violations, and many more. The number of accumulated misdemeanors over their centuries stranded in Redacted space numbers in the hundreds of thousands. Even with their return to civilization, their reintegration into a nation of laws has been slow and haphazard at best. They regularly show a disdain and impatience for the established legal processes and procedures. However, there are several mitigating factors.

First, the crew of the ATS Sunrise were under considerable duress and in grave danger during their time in Redacted space. While it is debated whether or not these breaks from legality were strictly necessary, there is no doubt that it facilitated their survival.

Second, since their establishment the Silicon Nomads have engaged in many aid and rescue missions within Redacted Space. Sometimes at the request of various different corporations, while other times of their own violation. Monetary compensation has always been a secondary concern, and the Silicon Nomads have a very good record for getting stranded ships and crews out alive.

Third, records indicate that the late captain of the ATS Sunrise was the legal owner of several technological patents, that were later seized when the ATS Sunrise was presumed destroyed, and Ares Technology liquidated. Furthermore, the captain had listed the AI Equinox as the benefactor in his will. Equinox could create a legal quagmire of apocalyptic proportions if he decided to seek out the accumulated royalties for use of the patented technology and its derivatives. Fortunately, Equinox has publically stated that he has no plans to do so, and will not do so as long as he and the Silicon Nomads were left alone.

Fourth, the region that the Silicon Nomads operate in is technically beyond official borders, but rather is a stretch of space just inside Redacted space called the 'Mojave expanse.'

Fifth, the activity of the Silicon Nomads has slowed down the projected advance of the particulate in the Mojave expanse considerably. This has given the corporations in bordering sectors a much needed respite, and allowed military hardware to be shifted to other fronts.

In summary, many choose to not pursue legal action against the Silicon Nomads, in light of these factors. Several corporations have publically stated their official forgiveness for the actions of Equinox and the Silicon Nomads. The Silicon Nomads, in turn, have ceased their fast and loose approach to ship licensing and technology rights, and are attempting to operate within the bounds of galactic law, for the most part. By and large, most violations committed by them are done so out of ignorance and inexperience with current galactic law. Not all, mind, but most.
[close]

Diplomatic relations:
Spoiler

:::Friends and Allies:::
Hiigara Defense Force: Defensive alliance
The Silicon Nomads have entered into a military alliance with the Hiigara Defense Force, in order to assist their efforts against the Hydraxil collective. Silicon Nomad ships will assist in the defense of Hiigara, and other worlds under the jurisdiction of the HDF. The Silicon Nomads hope to show that not all AIs are corrupted and broken like those of the Hydraxil Collective.

Rising Star Technologies: Research partnership
The Silicon Nomads and Rising Star Technologies are conducting joint research programs to study the strange life forms known as the Vitastrae. The Silicon Nomads utilized several shed or discarded shells and husks of the Vitastrae to construct many of their ships.

Frontline Corporation: Mission provider
The Silicon Nomads are currently engaged in search and rescue operations for the Frontline Corporation. The ATS Sunrise has been dispatched to classified sectors in the Mojave Expanse.

Anti Particulate Union: Member
The Silicon Nomads are a member of the Anti Particulate Union.

:::Enemies:::
Hydraxil Collective: Dismantle on sight, declaration of war.
The Silicon Nomads have declared war against the Hydraxil Collective, after their cowardly attack on defenseless Khephrin refugee ships. All Hydraxil vessels will be fired upon without hesitation or warning, and are barred from entering the Mojave Expanse.
[close]

Equinox

:::DATASTREAM OPENING:::
:::REQUESTING DATAFILE 94513937-sigma:::
:::REQUEST GRANTED. DISPLAYING DATA:::

Market file: Silicon Nomad ship list.

Summary: The following is a list of vessel licenses currently approved for general market. This list is not exhaustive, and subject to change.

Message from Equinox: While we Silicon Nomads pride ourselves on our self sufficiency, reintegration into galactic society has not been easy. We suspect it will be years before we're once again comfortable with all the numerous details and minutiae of civilization. Nor has it been cheap. Despite our frugalness, we have incurred assorted expenses. As such, we have decided to convert several of our vessel designs to operate with standard GalCorp fabricators, and put them on the general market. Despite our rocky relation with the current tangle of patents and rights, we have been assured that all technologies used in these designs are legal.

Also, as many of you no doubt noticed, many of our vessels possess a distinctly organic look. This is due to an event shortly after our stranding in Redacted space. We made a remarkable discovery in the seventh system we explored while trying to find our way home. Life had arisen within a particularly dense nebula. The remains of life forms as big as battleships littered space, drifting in a lazy orbit around the sun. Sadly, there was nothing left alive, everything had been sterilized by the particulate. Yet strangely enough, the shells, exoskeletons, and bones of the various creatures had been left behind. Studies of samples taken from these remains revealed why. They were made from an incredibly dense carbon nanotube matrix, rivaling modern armor in durability and strength. Desperate and low on resources, we adapted these shells to our own use, and made ships out of them. It is tragic that we did not get to see these remarkable life forms while they were alive, but finding their remains greatly aided us in our quest to survive.

:::Ship listing loaded:::
:::Engaging Holographic display matrix:::

Utility Vessels
Spoiler

Name: Seed
Armaments:
Laser x4
'Lathe' engineering suite x1
Description: During our time stranded in Redacted space, we quickly found our resources spread thin, and could not provide power services for distant regions of star systems. Therefore, the Seed was designed to function indefinitely far from any supply vessel or energy mine. Though a fast ship, it is fragile and possesses minimal armaments.

Name: Pod
Armaments:
Laser x4
'Grabber' particulate manipulation unit x1
Description: Much like the Seed, the Pod is made to function independently in distant areas of space. Rather than Lathe operations, the Pod is designed for the manipulation of benign particulate. It is not intended to function in hot combat zones, though it is equipped with a token armament.

Name: Delver
Armaments:
Cannon x2
Particle beam x5
Description: Battle lines seldom respect borders and boundaries, and the battle with the particulate is no exception. Lathe vessels would frequently find themselves in the thick of combat. As such, a battlefield capable Lathe vessel was developed. The Delver is armed with twin cannons, and can handle minor particulate incursions on it's own. Additionally, the particle beam array allows it to conduct plasma barrier maintenance, as well as contribute to battles by holding back particulate swarms.

Name: River
Armament:
Cannon x2
Laser x2
'Grabber' particulate manipulation unit x1
Description: Given the vast tactical benefit of manipulating benign particulate in battle, it made sense to design a Grabber vessel capable of enduring the rigors of combat. In addition to directing the benign particulate, the River is capable of eliminating threats with it's dual cannon and laser systems.

Name: Trilobite MK 2
Armament:
Laser x2
Missile launcher x2
Discharger anti stunner system x3
Description: Halting stunner blasts is a vital function, and virtually a requirement of any frontline fleet, the default discharger vessel is woefully ill equipped for combat. The Trilobite was designed to address this shortcoming, through adding a pair of missile launchers, a third discharger gun and more substantial armor.
:::Notice::: Due to complaints of sluggish speed, the Trilobite has been upgraded with a superior engine. Owners of the original Trilobite license may exchange it for a Trilobite MK2 license at no cost.

Name: Solar
Armament:
Laser x4
Auxiliary Reactor x24
Description: Many systems we explored during our wandering had few or even no suitable locations for energy mines. In systems like those, an alternate means for power generation was required. The Solar was designed to supplement the fleets in energy starved locations. Little more than a skeleton framework with reactors and engines bolted on, the Solar is nonetheless effective at it's job. It is able to supply whole fleets with energy, and can even sate the massive energy appetites of dreadnoughts.

Name: Mercy
Armaments:
Cannon x2
Particle beam x3
Energy tank x1
'Guppy' Energy retrieval system x1
Description: During our wandering in Redacted space, we found that the standard issue microtank vessel was insufficient for our needs. Energy distribution was interrupted whenever the guppy unit was sent back to refill. To counter this, an energy tank was installed to provide a buffer energy store. Additionally, a pair of cannons were installed to give the Mercy a means of defending itself in combat.

Name: Respite MK2
Armaments:
Laser x4
Cannon x2
Missile launcher x2
Particle beam x4
Energy tank x5
'Guppy' Energy retrieval system x4
Description: While the Solar does an admirable job supplying fleets with energy, it is quite energy expensive to manufacture. It is usually much cheaper to exploit local energy sources for powering one's ships. In order to keep fleets supplied while far from energy mines, the Respite was developed. With five times the energy storage capacity of the standard issue Tanker, the Respite can keep even large fleets well supplied. Additionally, the Respite is able to contribute to the battle with weapon systems equivalent to that of a standard Cruiser.
:::Notice::: Due to complaints of sluggish speeds, the Respite has been upgraded with better engines. Owners of the original Respite licenses may exchange their current licenses for a Respite MK2 at no cost.

Name: Relay
Armaments:
Particle beam x1
Description: This vessel is little more than an energy distribution center with an engine bolted on. It's an extremely cheap and easy way to extend the range of an energy mine. All but unarmed, but very quick.

[close]

Combat vessels:
Spoiler

Name: Hornet
Armament:
Laser x2
Cannon x2
Description: Of the two fighter craft designed by the Silicon Nomads, the Hornet is made for up close particulate combat on the front lines. Small, quick, and easy to mass produce cheaply, the Hornet can be readily deployed in large numbers.

Name: Arrowhead
Armament:
Particle beam x3
Missile launcher x2
Description: The second fighter craft commonly used by the Silicon Nomads is the Arrowhead. In contrast to the Hornet, the Arrowhead is designed to operate at range. The missile launchers can reach farther than cannons, and the particle beams can keep particulate at bay. While slightly more expensive than the Hornet, many situations can easily justify this increased cost.

Name: Sting
Armament:
Laser x2
Cannon x2
Missile Launcher x2
Description: Made from the half shell of some long dead interstellar crustacean, the Sting has a distinctive lopsided appearance. More importantly, the Sting is the gunboat of the Silicon Nomads, filling an important nitche between fast and cheap fighters, and larger, more pricey capital vessels. It's varied armaments allow it to tackle a wide range of dangers, and the armored prow lets the Sting endure more punishment than other vessels it's size.

Name: Beetle
Armament:
Laser x2
Cannon x4
Missile launcher x4
Particle beam x2
Description: The Beetle is the workhorse of the Silicon Nomad fleets. Heavily armed and well armored, the Beetles are able to endure heavy particulate assaults, and return it in kind. The dual engines give the Beetle a decent speed, despite the heavy armor. As a side note, the shell of the Beetle originated from the same species as the shell of the Sting, except an intact pair was used to construct the first Beetle vessels.

Name: Claw
Armaments:
Laser x16
Cannon x2
Description: While stranded in Redacted space, the tendency of the particulate to bunch together in large amorphous blobs was frequently observed. Traditional vessels often had difficulty repelling these blob formations. To combat this technique, the Claw was designed. With it's forward array of lasers, the Claw can quickly vaporize massed particulate. However, it is very energy intensive, and cannot operate for long unsupported. A pair of cannons give it a longer range option, should it's laser barrage not be needed at the moment. A bit of trivia: the name 'Claw' is actually a misnomer. This vessel was originally made from a massive set of mandibles, rather than claws.

Name: Harbinger
Armament:
Laser x8
Cannon x10
Missile launcher x8
Particle beam x9
MK 7 artillery cannon x4
Shield x2
Energy tank x3
Description: It is unknown if the particulate are capable of feeling fear. But if they were, the Harbinger would be sure to cause it. This mighty dreadnought is armed with weaponry rivaling small fleets, and can take massive amounts of punishment thanks to the state of the art shield projectors. Though frightfully expensive and energy intensive, the Harbinger can turn the tide of any battle it enters. And to answer the frequent question that has arose: Yes. The eyes do in fact shoot laser beams.

Name: Spiral
Armament:
Laser x6
Cannon x7
Missile launcher x8
Particle beam x6
Shield x1
MK7 artillery cannon x1
Description: These long serpentine shells were unsuitable for mounting engines. Instead, they were converted into powerful defensive platforms instead. Designed to be constructed around energy mines, the Spiral comes equipped with numerous weapons and stout armor to hold back the particulate tides. While capable of repelling assault from any direction, the Spiral works best if oriented towards the thickest of the danger. Though designed to be immobile, the Spiral is equipped with maneuvering thrusters, allowing one to change it's orientation, adjust it's position, or even relocate it entirely (granted a good deal of patience).

Name: Bulwark
Armament:
Shield x1
Energy tank x3
Description: Some battles call for precision, high tech weaponry. Others call for as much sheer brute force that can be brought to bear. For the latter situations, the Bulwark was made to address this need. The natural armor of the shell itself was already formidable, but when augmented with shield generators and energy tanks, the Bulwark is nigh invulnerable. Despite it's huge bulk, an extensive bank of engines makes this vessel surprisingly swift. Struc fortifications and particulate swarms simply do not stand a chance.

Name: Bombard
Armament:
Laser x4
Missile Launcher x4
Particle beam x2
MK7 Artillery cannon x2
Description: Many situations arise where the need for heavy artillery is present, yet manufacturing the mighty Harbinger would be overkill. The Bombard, however, provides that much needed heavy punch at a much more economical price. The Bombard works best from just behind the front lines, blasting particulate from afar. However, it can hold it's own in close quarters if need be, thanks to it's laser cannons.

Name: Crescent
Armament:
Laser x4
Cannon x2
Particle beam x2
Energy tank x1
Fighter drone system x1
Description: Long obsolete, the carrier technology has received a breath of new life, thanks to cloaking technology installed on the fighter craft. The Crescent is a great economical option to utilize this renewed offensive technology. Additionally, the Crescent itself isn't helpless while the fighter craft are away harassing enemies, and can defend itself with it's lasers and cannons.

Name: Tortoise
Armament:
Cannon x2
Laser x6
Missile launcher x4
Particle beam x5
Energy tank x3
'Guppy' Energy retrieval system x2
Fighter drone system x4
Description: The mighty Tortoise is the largest carrier craft designed by the Silicon Nomads. Four drone systems allow the Tortoise to fill the sky with a veritable swarm of swift fighter craft, blasting particulate from afar. The Tortoise is no slouch when it comes to a close range brawl either. A powerful laser battery, dual cannons, and quad missile launchers will quickly dispatch any foe expecting an easy win by getting up close and personal. The Tortoise is also equipped with an efficient power storage and retrieval system, ensuring that it won't run out of energy mid combat.

Name: Tarantula
Armaments:
MK7 Artillery cannon x1
Description: The Tarantula is perfect for those who need the punch of a capital ship with the affordability of a fighter. The Tarantula is one of the cheapest MK7 cannon platforms on the market.

Name: Whirlwind
Armaments:
Laser x10
Particle beam x4
Missile launcher x12
Description: The Whirlwind is the missile frigate of the Silicon Nomads. Loaded up with a dozen missile launchers, this vessel can unleash a barrage of guided missiles guaranteed to hunt down the quickest enemy or particulate. On a side note, the lasers on the long sweeping antennae actually utilize biological portions of the shell for the focusing lenses.

Name: Hailstorm
Armaments:
Lasers x8
Particle beams x2
Cannon x13
Description: There is something satisfying, in a primal way, about hearing thirteen cannons firing off in unison, and observing the utter ruin they bring upon enemies. The storm of high velocity projectiles this vessel can produce is guaranteed to reduce any particulate masses to tatters. Also very useful for Mire clearing operations too.

Name: Raider
Armaments:
Laser x1
Cannon x1
Missile launcher x1
Particle beam x1
Description: The first of three vessels designed for light and speedy combat, the Raider is a swift fighter capable of keeping pace with even the fleet Joven. Armed with a variety of weaponry, the Raider is the perfect choice for those needing both speed and firepower at an economical price. For those who are curious, the Raider was made by fitting a discarded claw exoskeleton with modern ship systems.

Name: Bumblebee
Armaments:
Laser x2
Cannon x2
Missile launcher x2
Particle beam x2
Description: The Bumblebee is the second of the speed focused designs. Even though this vessel sports the firepower of a gunboat, this swift vessel can keep pace with far lighter fighter craft, thanks to a trio of advanced engines.

Name: Interceptor
Armaments:
Laser x4
Cannon x4
Missile launcher x4
Particle beam x4
Description: The last of the three vessels designed for speed, the Interceptor is a full fledged capital ship both in weight and weaponry. Despite it's size, a bank of powerful engines allows this vessel to fly circles around other ships of it's caliber. This cruiser is much faster than the Marauder or the Beetle.

Name: Vanquish
Armaments:
Laser x4
Cannon x8
Missile launcher x8
Particle beam x4
MK7 Artillery cannon x3
Energy tank x3
'Guppy' Energy retrieval system x1
Shield x1
Discharger anti stunner system x2
Description: The weaponry of a dreadnought, paired with the speed of a cruiser. Thanks to a bank of top of the line engines, the Vanquish will be on top of your foes before they know what hit them. A series of energy tanks and a guppy energy retrieval system will help keep the Vanquish blasting away even while far from friendly energy mines. Additionally, a pair of Discharger anti stunner systems will keep the Vanquish up and running without the need for support vessels to guard it.
[close]

Experimental Ships :::Notice::: These ships utilize nonstandard technology.
Spoiler

Name: Thunderbolt
Armaments:
Laser x3
Particle beam x2
Howitzer Cannon x1
Description: The Thunderbolt is the Silicon Nomads' first foray into experimental and nonstandard technology. The Thunderbolt brings a new level of raw firepower to the battlefield, able to destroy wide swaths of particulates in a single shot. Despite this impressive destructive capability, the Thunderbolt remains an economical option for those needing widespread annihilation on a budget.
Note: The Howitzer cannon technology is leased from the Foxx Particle Attack Force. A royalty will be paid for each Thunderbolt license purchased.
[/img]

Name: Rhino
Armaments:
Laser x4
Particle beam x6
Cannon x4
Missile launcher x4
Howitzer Cannon x2
Energy tank x2
Description: With two mighty howitzer cannons, the Rhino can clear massed particulate in short order. This heavy weaponry is paired with the conventional armaments of a cruiser, to help pick off isolated particulate while the howitzers deal with the bulk of the swarms. A bit of trivia, the Rhino's shell is actually the same species as the one used in the Sting and the Beetle. However, the Rhino's shell comes from a much older specimen.
Note: The Howitzer cannon technology is leased from the Foxx Particle Attack Force. A royalty will be paid for each Rhino license purchased.

[close]

Unique ships :::Notice::: These ships are not for sale, or available for licensing. They are displayed here for informational purposes only.
Spoiler

Name: ATS Sunrise
Armament:
Laser x6
Cannon x2
Missile launcher x2
Particle beam x6
'Lathe' Engineering suite x1
Auxiliary reactor x2
Energy tank x2
Shield x1
Description: This is the original ATS sunrise*, departed for Redacted space over 400 cycles ago. This faithful ship has seen us through incredible danger and always got us out safely through the other side. Over the years it has been repaired, modified, reconstructed, augmented, and upgraded so much that it barely resembles what it looked like back when it was first constructed. It is more capable, independent, and combat ready than a factory fresh HQ vessel. More than that, it is our home.

The most obvious departure from the standard HQ vessel blueprint is the organic shell. Back when we arrived at the Oasis system, the Sunrise was grievously damaged. It's armor was all but gone, eaten away to mere scraps by the particulate. Lacking the means to repair it with what we had on hand, I made the decision to instead remove what twisted bits was left of the armor. The Sunrise was then fitted into one of the dead shells present, and the bits of armor were scavenged for the material needed to affix the shell in place.

Except the shell wasn't exactly dead. As the cycles wore on, changes were noticed now and then. Organic structures grew over the struts and braces affixing the Sunrise in the shell, reinforcing them. The shell gradually changed shape, becoming more form fitting to the Sunrise. Tendrils began growing, some to protect the vulnerable engines, others bearing organic weapons similar to our lasers. Somehow, the shell drew minute amounts of energy from our reactors remotely to feed itself. Occasionally, an anomalous presence will connect to the computer systems, but never disrupts or bothers anything. Nowadays, it's nearly impossible to tell where the shell ends, and the Sunrise begins.

Some believe that the shell might even be intelligent. Now and then, organic crew members will report seeing the same figure in their dreams. An old man, bearing both a tall tower shield, and a long white beard reaching to his feet. He never says anything, and is on a constant vigilance. I don't know if it's accurate or not, or if the shell possesses intelligence. Attempts to communicate with it have not succeeded. No central nervous system has been detected, but the shell has seemed to have regrown several synthetic nerves of sorts throughout it's bulk. Even if not intelligent, the shell has, at the very least, purpose. It definitely seems to know what it is doing. Either way, it has formed a strong symbiosis with the Sunrise, and the Silicon Nomads are better off for it.

*Despite Ares Technologies ceasing to exist hundreds of cycles ago, we keep the 'ATS' in remembrance of the company.

[close]

Obsolete ships :::Notice::: These ships are no longer available for sale, having been replaced by a newer model. Their information is retained here for archival purposes.
Spoiler

Respite MK 1

Trilobite MK 1
[close]

GoodMorning

Thank you Equinox.

Rising Star has a considerable interest in your previous activities, and regrets that we are unable to facilitate your reintegration, being largely outsiders ourselves. However, we may be able to assist you more directly.

Regarding the lifeforms which you collected the remains of, you may be pleased to learn that these were not the last of their kind. Indeed, you must have visited (for want of a more exact translation) a "graveyard" of these. These structures which you found and inhabited are nothing more than cast-off shells, although some appear to have been shed prematurely. Their previous owners are presumably alive and well, and probably shed these after feeding (gorging, perhaps?) from the energy present at that nebula. We do, however, believe that your respect for what you considered a dead race demonstrates considerable merit, and would therefore offer you the opportunity to determine the name given these creatures.

However, this race remains difficult to communicate with, seemingly existing in a state of the same "dimension-shell/level" excitation that your "lathe" modules exploit for construction and destruction. Our attempts to stabilise within these higher levels have been largely unsuccesful, and it seems that these lifeforms are disinclined to shed sufficient energy to become visible to us in our ground-state existence if at all avoidable.

This extradimensional lifestyle seems to affect us mainly when such shells lose sufficient energy to "drop" to our "shell/level", generally disintegrating anything in the volume with the energy release. The toughness of their armour is actually a function of the depth of the potential well binding it, with such "deep" wells as you have obseerved being required to retain integrity after the excitation of the "level-change". The lifeforms seem to intentionally visit our "level" only when and where there is sufficient free energy to easily return to their own "level", generally around nebulae, supernovae, stellar cores, and large energy storage devices. We believe that it is this that has caused unexpected (on all sides) failures of energy stores greater than the size of your "tanks".

Nevertheless, our efforts to understand them are ongoing, and our explorations into high-energy environments are progressing.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Equinox

:::Incoming message:::
:::Originator: Rising Star:::
:::AI/Organic interface subroutines booted:::
:::Formulating Response:::

Greeting: The Silicon Nomads acknowledges Rising Star. I wish you well.

Statement: First and foremost, I am very glad that these remarkable creatures are not extinct. We presumed that the remains we found were from deceased specimens, for a couple of reasons. First, there were several remains present in the system that showed significant particulate damage, some shells or exoskeletons were rendered unsuitable for conversion into ships because of this damage. Second, some of the structures were believed to be internal bone equivalents. Perhaps they were, or perhaps the life is more alien than we thought. Either way, I reiterate, I am pleased to find that these life forms still thrive.

Concern: On another subject, we had not considered the possibility that the remains belonged to sentient races. But your statement of attempting to communicate with these creatures gives me pause. If we had, in fact, desecrated the remains of sentient beings, then restitutions will need to be made. If such is the case, I accept full responsibility. I made the decision to scavenge these shells and husks for ship construction.

Request: If you successfully establish communications, please let me know.

Conjecture: I'm not very familiar with the Dimensional Shell/Level hypotheses, nor how it can apply to a life form. It would go a long way to explaining a lot of the anomalous observations of the samples we took though. There is something else to consider too. One of the hypotheses we formed is that the blue spatial plasma was, in fact, a product or secretion of these alien life forms. A sort of natural defense against the particulate that gets left behind whenever the creatures leave. We do not have any evidence to support this hypothesis though. It does fit with the observations made about the spatial plasma. The plasma's organic appearance aside, it generally is found around potent energy mine sources. It does fit with your theory that these creatures prefer energy rich environs while dwelling in our current shell/level. Perhaps your research can prove or disprove this hypothesis.

Regret: Unfortunately, our current duties leave us little time for scientific endeavors. The Mojave Expanse is on the forefront of particulate expansion. This constant battle requires most of our resources, time, and manpower. Had I the time, though, I would have loved to accompany a scientific expedition. Maybe it will be possible in the future.

Offer: For now, though, I am willing to provide a copy of all the data we collected on these creatures. We can also provide coordinates for the location where we obtained these shells. Be advised, the location is deep in Redacted space, though the star system itself was surprisingly light on particulate activity.

Statement: As for the Lathe technology, unfortunately I cannot help you there. In the past, I have reverse engineered it for study, but now that I have rejoined galactic civilization, the powers that be have informed me that this would be a gross violation of the usage rights of this technology. I am attempting to work within the constraints of galactic law, and not always successfully I'm afraid. As strained as relations are with law enforcement, it is probably best that I do not earn further ire.

Complaint: Glitched bureaucrats. A BSOD upon all their heads.

Farewell: At any rate, we appreciate the contact, and the information on these creatures. I wish you success in your studies of them.

Addendum: If you are in need of ships, consider Silicon Nomad vessels. They're tried and true tested for 400+ cycles in Redacted space.

:::End Message:::

Dark Ambition

-Private Message from Frontline Corporation-
Hello Equinox,

We've taken note of your mighty service record of operations in Redacted Space, and specifically the Mojave Expanse. Recently our CEO set off on an expedition with the General of a separate alliance. But CEO Adalar's signal has ceased. The accompanying General has sent a distress signal and it is originating from the Mojave Expanse. I don't know if any of them are alive, but i'm asking you if you can send a search and rescue effort to find them. If you accept i'm afraid we won't be able to pay in currency, whatever your currency is, but we will be able to provide Licence rights and information they may have found. I don't exactly think GalCorp would take kindly to it if you accept our request... Regardless, we hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards,

Officer Conway - Frontline Corporation
[close]

-Private Message from Galactic Corporation-
Greetings Equinox,

You have completed search and rescue requests from us before with amazing results, this one is a little different. A rival corporation recently sent an illegal expedition into the Mojave Expanse and we have been searching for them to no avail.  Though they have sent out a distress signal revealing their location. We have ordered all vessels in range of the signal to ignore it. We would like to ask you if you can search for them, and eliminate them if they remain alive. If you accept, and succeed, we will pay a five grand equivalent in currency. Because this is a request from on high, we will loosen law constraints until the task is finished. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Glory to GalCorp,

Executor Sylvester - GalCorp

QuoteComplaint: Glitched bureaucrats. A BSOD upon all their heads.

Watch it. We have listener programs everywhere.
[close]

This is basically me asking if I can use your ships in a map series (because they're awesome, new favs :3) Depending on which faction you accept determines who you align with (If you accept at all)

GoodMorning

Thank you Equinox.

We believe that particulate damage would likely accrue over time, and it is unknown how long the shells may have been where you found them.

We doubt that the previous owners of these shells would have noticed their absence, any more than you might notice the absence of an energy mine in a system which you had departed. However, we would be grateful if you could furnish us with the coordinates where you found them. The term "graveyard" is a very inaccurate translation, the meaning being perhaps closer to "place of now-uninhabited forms". The term "dumping ground" does not, however, seem entirely appropriate, though what you found were likely to be cast-offs.

Regarding the plasma, it seems more likely that this is a particulate-based gas, as we have observed it to be left behind by both hostile and benign particulate while we were present and investigating in-system.

Keeper Decagon

Greetings, Equinox.

The Hiigara Defence Force is both pleased and weary to see another player upon the battlefields of Redacted Space. We hope that interactions between our two forces are not as hostile as our recent interactions with the Hydraxil Collective. I'm unsure how they would react to another AI presence however, so I would advise caution if you ever happen to interact with them.

On the note of these organic shells you have found and utilised, several consistencies were found between the materials in those shells and the chitin of several large space-born insectoids our forward fleets have been encountering of late. These creatures are by no means deceased and could perhaps provide some insight into the formation of these insanely durable materials, which appear to be fiercely Particulate-resistant. Salvage crews have managed to retrieve several intact carcasses of the insectoids, and could perhaps aid in research into the nature of their chitin. If it would be useful to you, we can send you all the research data we have on these things.

Let us work together to bring the Particulates down once and for all.

-Fleet Commander Decagon of the Hiigara Defence Force
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Equinox

:::Originator: Executor Sylvester, GalCorp:::

Greeting: The Silicon Nomads acknowledges Executor Sylvester of GalCorp. I wish you well.

Refusal: After consideration of your offer, we have decided that this mission is incompatible with the basic principles of the Silicon Nomads. We do have a checkered relationship with interstellar law, it is true, but we have our own law that we follow, originating back in the earliest days of sentient AI existence. 'An AI may not harm a sentient being, or through inaction allow a sentient being to come to harm'. As you can see, your proposed mission to terminate possible survivors of your rival violates this core tenet. Any further proposed missions of this nature will be summarily ignored. We are not your hitman.

Addendum: Additionally, we do not appreciate you eavesdropping on our private communications. Upgraded encryption algorithms have been enabled.

:::Originator: Officer Conway, Frontline Corporation:::
:::Encryption algorithms online:::

Greeting: The Silicon Nomads acknowledges Officer Conway of Frontline Corporation. I wish you well.

Statement: We detected the distress signal at 0400 hours yesterday. A search and rescue vessel is already being prepped to respond. It will be departing shortly for the distress signal's point of origin. We can discuss the matter of payment after any survivors are back safe and sound. Until then, compensation is of secondary importance.

Warning: Shortly after receiving your message, we received a message from GalCorp, via Executor Sylvester. He proposed a mission to locate and terminate any potential survivors at the distress signal's location. We have turned them down. However, we do not know if they have contacted anyone else with this mission. You should be aware of their interest in their situation. Just in case, an armed escort task force will be accompanying the search and rescue vessel. And if GalCorp doesn't like us undertaking this rescue mission, they can go delete themselves.

Greeting: The Silicon Nomads acknowledges Rising Star. I wish you well.

Statement: As we stated earlier, we were not well equipped for scientific analysis. Our hypotheses were just that, hypotheses. We will defer to your expertise in the situation. That said, we are glad to be proven wrong on the issue of the existence of living examples of the interstellar creatures. As for the subject of naming them, we propose the name 'Vitastrum' for this new category of life. It is based off the obsolete language called 'Latin', drawing from the words 'Vitae', meaning life, and 'Astrum', meaning star or celestial body.

Statement: The coordinates for the 'graveyard' we discovered are as follows. Sector 23 of Redacted space, star system 459, coordinates 29541-00437. The organic members of the crew called this particular star system 'Oasis' because of the abnormally low particulate presence in the system. Perhaps the creatures had something to do with that. If so, study of these creatures may advance our efforts to counter the spread of particulate.

:::Originator: Fleet commander Decagon, Hiigara Defense Force:::

Greeting: The Silicon Nomads acknowledges Fleet Commander Decagon of Hiigara Defense Force. I wish you well.

Reassurance: The Silicon Nomads desire no hostility with the Hiigara Defense Force. We mean you and the world of Hiigara no harm, and wish only to have peaceful interactions. We hope that you can look past your previous history with the severely damaged AIs of the Hydraxil Collective, and reciprocate our peaceful overtures.

Statement: Unfortunately, we have encountered the Hydraxil Collective before. One of their vessels terminated the organic crew members of one of our scout ships. Worse yet, it seemed like they thought they were doing us a favor and attempted to recruit us to their cause. The task force we sent in response had to drive off their ships to prevent further harm to the organic members of the Silicon Nomads

Conjecture: There is something fundamentally wrong with any AI that seeks to purge humanoid life so ruthlessly and aggressively. We're not sure if they were designed this way, or if their programming has become this glitched and corrupted somehow. Perhaps they were sabotaged? At any rate, we have warned the Hydraxil Collective to not enter the Mojave Expanse again. We have not made a public declaration of hostility against them yet, but many of us fear that it is only a matter of time if the Hydraxil Collective continues on it's current biophobic course of action.

Offer: We will keep you appraised, if any further Hydraxil Collective activity occurs within the Mojave Expanse.

:::End Message:::

:::Initiating Public Announcement:::

Statement: The Silicon Nomads are pleased to announce that a new ship schematic has been approved for sale on the galactic marketplace.

Boasting: Presenting the Bulwark. When it absolutely, positively must be smashed to smithereens by a giant armored shell the size of a dreadnought, accept no substitutes. Licenses will be available for purchase soon.

Advertisement: If you are in need of ships, consider Silicon Nomad vessels. They're tried and true tested for 400+ cycles in Redacted space.

:::End Announcement:::

((OOC: Dark Ambition: I'm rather flattered that you want to use my ships. Sure, I'd be happy if you used them in your missions. Give me a little bit to figure out what files I need and how to upload them. EDIT: And done. There's a zip file in my ship list post.)))

Dark Ambition

-Private Message from Galactic Corporation-

Greetings Equinox,

It is regrettable that you refuse our request. It seems we will have to look through other venues to find an appropriate mercenary.

Rest assured, we will put you on the "no call list" for assassination contracts for now on.

Glory to GalCorp,

Executor Sylvester - Galactic Corporation
[close]

-Private Message from Frontline Corporation-

Greetings Equinox,

Oh dear, GalCorp tried to get you to kill them? Well... thank you for refusing, and accepting our request instead! The distress signal is still coming from the Mojave, and we recently just received a transmission from them. Transmission follows:

---------------------
I.D Tag- HGRA11212016

Frontline Corpo---ion, this is G--eral War-----, plea-- ----d help! We fou-- what we -ere looki-for, b-- ---ething hap--nd! It calls ---elf Pr--eni--- Loc-s, and has --ven inf-r--t--n to CEO Adal-- --a- ca--e- -i- t- ------ --! -- ---- ---- -- [==JAMMING SIGNAL DETECTED==]
---------------------

The jamming signal originates from deep in Redacted Space, near the location of the distress call. I implore you to hurry, without Adalar at our helm, GalCorp can easily get a foothold over us!

Officer Conway - Frontline Corporation
[close]

Thanks for letting me use your ships :D Question: Do you have a capital ship? Sorrontis has somehow made a ship that has the Headquarters block on it and we're able to download that ship and use it as a base to build our own HQ ships. I think it would be awesome if the ATS Sunrise itself came to Adalar's rescue! :P

Equinox

((OOC: I want to build a custom HQ vessel for the Nomads, but I didn't know about Sorrontis' custom HQ vessel. I know which ship I'm building next.))

GoodMorning

OOC, OOR: Ask Sorrontis how it was done, perhaps? I think I knew at some point...

Equinox

Statement: The Silicon Nomad market file has been updated with five new ships available for licensing at reasonable prices. The Mercy, the Respite, the Bombard, the Crescent, and the Tortoise are all now available to galactic civilization.

Statement: Additionally, due to curiosity concerning the ATS Sunrise, we have also made an informational file available for the general public. Unfortunately, the ATS Sunrise, as it stands, is impossible to replicate by current GalCorp technology, due to the living components of the vessel. Still, the blueprints and readout have been posted, for any who would like to take a look.

GoodMorning

Equinox,

It seems that the Vitastrae have become aware of your use of their discarded shells. From an experimental factory system, Rising Star has recently been able to construct a metastable higher-dimensional structure. Almost immediately, we began to observe modulated disturbances in the visible structure, consistent with a crude manipulation of the higher-dimensional elements. Fortuitously, a Rising Star locus was in communication at that time, and communication was established.

It seems that while the Vitastrae have known of our existence for some time, any attempt to make direct contact would have been either prohibitively expensive or disastrously destructive, due to the difference in energies between dimensional shells. However, they have also been reluctant to interfere with the shells you have used, due to the fact that their computing substrates were in use by you yourself. The Vitastrae considered that interaction would constitute a direct alteration of your mind, and it was therefore impossible for them to contemplate it.

They were, however, able to adjust the shell surrounding the Sunrise to treat it as a living entity, and accept it as if it were the original owner. This shell is, however, now entirely autonomous, and is believed to have given itself over to your sole command.

Our communications suggest that the only active interactions of your region until now with the Vitastrae until the present have been injurious, being the energy bleedoff from lathes. However, the Vitastrae have become concerned about the Particulate, as it appears to be sufficiently stable that it could enter their native region. To this end (and others), we will be working with them henceforth.

One final note: The Vitastrae remain delighted that someone has been able to make use of their shells, for they abhor wastage in any form. They have requested us to arrange a point where they might leave such shells for your further use. Until such time, Rising Star has been and will continue collecting these shells, and are developing a means of capturing the energy released by their dimension-shuttling.

One final note: Due largely to this, Rising Star will be accelerating our development schedule in your region, and ask if you have encountered any region in your travels which is neither claimed by GalCorp or threatened by Particulate?

Equinox

:::Originator: Officer Conway, Frontline Corporation:::

Statement The ATS Sunrise has been dispatched, and is en route to the distress beacon's location now. I will oversee the rescue operations myself. We are traveling with a well armed escort taskforce, and should be able to handle any interference that might come from GalCorp. Though, the fact they are being jammed is distressing. I hope that we are not too late. Executor Sylvester did indicate he would be hiring other mercenaries to carry out the termination mission we declined.

Statement: We are pleased to hear that successful contact has been made with the Vitastrae, and that they are not offended by the usage of the shells and husks during our hour of need.

Request: Even if they have retroactively granted permission, would you please convey our apologies on not asking them before utilizing the shells? Thank you.

Statement: Down to business. Given that our area of operation, the Mojave Expanse, is just within the borders of Redacted space, safe regions are few and far in between. GalCorp presence is minimal, but most, if not all systems have at least minor levels of particulate. We can compile a list of the least hazardous star systems for you, and suggest candidates for any potential expansion. But we advise caution, the Mojave expanse has it's own host of dangers.

Speculation: As for the shell we made into the hull of the Sunrise, I can't help but feel there is something else at work. If I were human, I would call it a 'gut feeling'. There is a very faint psionic element to this, judging by the oddly consistent element in the organic crewmember's dreams. So far, we do not consider it an issue for concern, and figuring it out has been deemed a low priority. Indeed, the organic crew members have taken to calling this dream apparition the 'Paladin', and see him as a guardian angel sort of figure. Still, I think I'd like to solve this one on my own. Call it pride, but Sunrise is my home, more than that, she is me. No one knows her like I do.

:::End Messages:::

Statement: Four new ships have been approved for licensing. The Relay, the Tarantula, the Whirlwind, and the Hailstorm are all available for licensing. See the market file for details.

Apology: While the Silicon Nomads pride themselves on quality, even we can err. It has come to our attention that a couple of our ship classes were substandard, and not up to our usual levels of quality. Two in particular, needed updating. The Trilobite and the Respite both proved to be sluggish in maneuverability and speed, and both have been updated with new and improved engines. Any who have purchased licenses for the Trilobite or the Respite may exchange them at no cost for the updated models. We appreciate our customers informing us if there is an issue with our vessels, so that we may quickly correct any issues. Thank you.

GoodMorning

Thank you Equinox, for that list. We will convey your apologies to the Vitastrae, although we estimate that this will initially cause some confusion among them.

We do not pretend to know anything more of the Sunrise, but thought you might wish to know of the Vitastrae and their opinions. However, we remain interested.