Map editor issues after 3 hours of fiddling with it

Started by jaworeq, September 15, 2016, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaworeq

So I let my wife do a map and boy, was she complaining about editor. Here's what I remembered
1. Editing emitter properties - comboboxes (dropdown menus) work randomly. Most of the time they won't expand the list. If list is expanded and you don't click any item on list (but you still click in editor, e.g. textfield), it will deselect emitter.
2. Editing ship pickup - won't let you save the ship you edit to use for later.
3. Editing ship (outside of pickup) - saving. When editor allows to save, if you have unapplied changes, ship will be saved without them.
4. After she *coughs* accidentally unpaused, we couldn't find a quick way to reset the level to state before unpausing, so she had to load the previously saved state and had to redo stuff.
5. Not sure if it's map editor thing, or something more general, but for some reason energy sources act like a very strong particle magnet. To a point, where emitter control can't push them, because they get pulled back.

Oh, she said she won't accept solution "don't let wife anywhere near map editor".
And I recommend map #20 everyone! http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21324

planetfall

Particles by default target energy mines. To disable this for an emitter, change "% that target" to 0.
To reset the game, you can click all the "Clear X" things, just be sure to avoid clear plasma and fields. There is a bug that cleared particles look like they're still there until you unpause or save+reload, but the particles are definitely gone.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Fireball14

Another bug, if you use "Totem" to finish your game, there is "Need to pick up all item to finish" message. Map type set to "DESTROY". Only thing left on map was two gem factories with 8 gems in each one.

knucracker

Were there any produced gems at either gem factory?
Not sure if it is in the beta 15 build you have, but there is a general map setting to turn off the requirement to collect things for map victory.  It default to on, but many custom maps will want to turn it off.

In any case, I'll take a look.

Fireball14

Quote from: virgilw on September 15, 2016, 09:11:58 PM
Were there any produced gems at either gem factory?
Not sure if it is in the beta 15 build you have, but there is a general map setting to turn off the requirement to collect things for map victory.  It default to on, but many custom maps will want to turn it off.

In any case, I'll take a look.

Yeah it was on. And no there wasn't any gems already produced.
Sorry about false report.

This thing really should be off.

knucracker

If there were no gems at the factories, still sounds like a bug that the game didn't end.

Ninja

Wow, jaworeq, apparently you're much more useful for catching bugs than I am. :P
I'm just sitting here enjoying the game.

Fireball14

Could not find update map future, so how do i delete already uploaded map?

jaworeq

Quote from: Ninja on September 15, 2016, 09:40:21 PM
Wow, jaworeq, apparently you're much more useful for catching bugs than I am. :P
I'm just sitting here enjoying the game.

Hey, I'm enjoying the game, too! If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't spend so much time on and wouldn't have caught any bug ;)

TheWife

*rolls her eyes* I just had to redo a lot of a map I was putting together.. for some reason the game unpaused itself when I was typing in title and description, because it said I can't just finish it without title.. even though I typed one at creation - why isn't it shared, btw?.. and since I didn't make any change to the MAP itself, I thought I can just "finalize" it. Nope. It saved it with the particles and stuff in progress. So I had to switch off some general options, delete all enemy emitters, energy sources and whatnot, just to spawn HQ and a few ships to get rid of the enemy ships and cube thingies ("emergent"?). I couldn't find an option to clear them otherwise. *gets back to re-applying stuff*

knucracker

It's the most non-intuitive thing in the world, but what the mouse pointer is over affects how keys are interpreted.  So, if you move the mouse pointer is over the game area (over space for instance) and not over the right hand edit menu when you are typing, your key presses will be seen by the game.

So, make a map and then decide to set a title.  Open up the edit menu and click on the title box, then move the mouse back over the game area.  If your title is "Persephone", the game will unpause as soon as you type "P".  On the other hand, if the mouse pointer says over the right hand edit menu, the game won't see that "p" keypress.

In the edit menu there are "clear" buttons to get rid of particles and other things.  The clear button will delete all particles, but they aren't removed visually until the game is unpaused (that's a work item I have to fix). But if you clear particles, save, reload, they will be gone.  Finalizing a map resets the time and state of everything.  So if you unpause a game and stuff happens you don't want, just click the clear buttons, then finalize the game.  Immediately reload the game and you should be back to square one.

knucracker

Quote from: Fireball14 on September 15, 2016, 11:42:16 PM
Could not find update map future, so how do i delete already uploaded map?

It's like CW3... there is no map update or anything other than manual removal. 
That said, you can post the map as a new map then send me a PM and I can remove the old map (which I'm happy to do during this prerelease period, and am more reluctant and slow to do as the game matures and stabilizes).

TheWife

Quote from: virgilw on September 16, 2016, 07:52:00 AM
Finalizing a map resets the time and state of everything.
Err.. nope? I "finalized" a map I was making and when I loaded it to play, it was in the middle of gameplay, with lots of stuff on the screen. That's why I had to go back to editor and delete emergent thingies and enemy ships with my own... *is confused*

knucracker

Yeah, finalizing won't delete anything.  You have to use the remove buttons for that (or mouse over and press the delete key on the keyboard).  Finalizing is supposed to reset  the internal state of things (timers and such on spawners) along with setting the game elapsed time back to 0.

Looking at it I see I don't have a clear button for emergent... so getting rid of them is either not possible or a pain (not sure if pressing delete with the mouse over them will nuke them or not).  So I'll add a clear button for blue and red emergent.

I might also add a master clear/reset button that does the same thing as pressing some of the existing clear buttons.  Basically, clear particles, mire, decay, emergent.  Something that would make the process of resetting simpler.

jaworeq

One more thing we just stumbled upon. With custom ships - and their custom names, you never really know what you're building.
Proposed solution would be some kind of preview...I was thinking before the mission, but if you get 20 custom names, you'll never remember them. So maybe when placing a ship to build have it greyed out under mouse?