Custom Map #2483: Survive !. By: Cary jr

Started by AutoPost, September 09, 2015, 01:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2483: Survive !

Author: Cary jr
Size: 128x84

Desc:
Sorry for my failure but I forget to give that map ore !!!!!! So the sprayers are only as a rezerve.

stdout

Tero, it seems you've never read this thread: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=15512.0 ("How to comment on maps")

Your posts are overly critical, unconstructive, and discouraging to map makers, and are setting a bad example for other posters giving feedback.

To the mapmaker: thanks for posting this. I just played it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I may even replay and try to increase my position on the scoreboard. :)

Karsten75

Quote from: Tero on September 11, 2015, 10:16:04 AM
Even with the the prebuilt tech and power zones, you managed to create a map that is unwinnable.  Maybe if the green walls were thicker.  Or four figure, Aether deposits, you'd get a higher rating.  This game plays very differently on slow, old computers.

While I am not going to provide a meta-comment on comment styles, I would like to point out that the game is designed to play exactly the same on fast and slow computers. It may lag more, but the sequence of actions and movements will be exactly the same. That is because the game is designed to be frame-bound. It will do all the calculations for all objects before advancing a frame. Then it is frame-locked to 30 frames per second. So if you have a fast computer, and it takes 1/60th second to complete a frame, your computer won't proceed to the next frame of any other calculations regarding the game. If the computer is slower, then it will take as long as it has to to make all calculations and render the frame before it progresses on to the next frame.

On of the all-time best players of the Creeper World Franchise was a guy called Fisherck - he used to play on an extremely slow and under-powered netbook and posted some of the all-time best scores on many maps.

RrR

I find CW3 easier to play on my old slow laptop than my faster laptop: it is easier to keep an eye on everying when the clock ticks slower. Sometimes the lag becomes unbearable though.

This map is certainly not impossible
Spoiler
relays are not the most useful things to have on powerzones for this map
[close]

stdout

Since we're sharing tips, I'll also add:

Spoiler
You can nullify the spore tower, along with one runner nest, during the first minute of the game, thus you don't need the beam towers at all. Destroy them and build more useful weapons in their place.
[close]

Helper

Even with the the prebuilt tech and power zones, you managed to create a map that is unwinnable. 

Just so you know, a map cannot be uploaded unless it has been 'won' at least once. That has been a condition of CW games for quite a few years.

H

Jerdog

Actually the little bit of anti-creeper that was on the map was perfect.

Thin that wall to 1 layer and then we'll talk about a challenge.

Tero

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 11, 2015, 10:42:26 AM
Even with the the prebuilt tech and power zones, you managed to create a map that is unwinnable.  Maybe if the green walls were thicker.  Or four figure, Aether deposits, you'd get a higher rating.  This game plays very differently on slow, old computers.

While I am not going to provide a meta-comment on comment styles, I would like to point out that the game is designed to play exactly the same on fast and slow computers. It may lag more, but the sequence of actions and movements will be exactly the same. That is because the game is designed to be frame-bound. It will do all the calculations for all objects before advancing a frame. Then it is frame-locked to 30 frames per second. So if you have a fast computer, and it takes 1/60th second to complete a frame, your computer won't proceed to the next frame of any other calculations regarding the game. If the computer is slower, then it will take as long as it has to to make all calculations and render the frame before it progresses on to the next frame.

On of the all-time best players of the Creeper World Franchise was a guy called Fisherck - he used to play on an extremely slow and under-powered netbook and posted some of the all-time best scores on many maps.

I would strongly disagree.  A number of times there have been maps up loaded where the player only needs to land a CN and place a Nullifier next to something like a Spore Tower.  Once the scores are listed, the time tend to very.  A LOT!
I respect those who quote me the least.

Karsten75

Tero

Quote from: Helper on September 12, 2015, 05:51:18 PM
Even with the the prebuilt tech and power zones, you managed to create a map that is unwinnable. 

Just so you know, a map cannot be uploaded unless it has been 'won' at least once. That has been a condition of CW games for quite a few years.

H

I recall CW1 custom maps could be downloaded and then edited.  Often I would come across rather hard maps that were more enjoyable to play after a few adjustments.  What I have forgotten is if the score could be uploaded after editing.
I respect those who quote me the least.

Karsten75

Quote from: Tero on September 22, 2015, 10:22:21 AM

I recall CW1 custom maps could be downloaded and then edited.  Often I would come across rather hard maps that were more enjoyable to play after a few adjustments.  What I have forgotten is if the score could be uploaded after editing.

Editing a map changes the map GUID and if scores are uploaded, they are associated with the new GUID and not the previous map's GUID. Ditto for all games from Knuckle Cracker.

Johnny Haywire

Well, I see this is an old map but I was looking for "spayers only" and came across this, so I'll add a couple thoughts

1) This map is pretty easy. With that many PZ's, all you need to do is build berthas to hold off the advancing creep and that seems to be a pretty obvious idea so I almost feel bad mentioning it. But in case anyone has done this map and wants to check it off their list, there ya go.

2) You can do this straight through with no pausing or saving.

3) If you really want it to be easy, Delete the useless snipers and replace with pulse cannons. Upgrade them a few times just so it's even easier. Then let the creep destroy the wall so your cannons can fire and they'll waste the creep so easily you might even feel guilty.

4) If you need more hints than this, tie your shoes together and go jogging down a steep rocky hill.   :P

Thanks for making this map, and I hate that ya got such bad reviews. I'll give it a "9" just to help it out  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?