Custom Map: This is Sparta!

Started by AutoPost, April 17, 2010, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: This is Sparta!

Author: cquante

Desc:
Defend the planet Sparta and survive to fight another day!

NNR_Alex

so am i the only one that's having trouble getting started? i'm debating on ignoring the reactor or not.  cquante, i don't suppose you could post a walkthrough on this like you did your other two maps?

cquante

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.  I'd be happy to post a walk-through.  Remember though, others typically finish my maps faster than I do.

Karsten75

Quote from: cquante on May 14, 2010, 01:34:05 AM

Here's a walk-through

Your video was quite instructive. :)

No offense, but those huge deficits  are not the way to score good times. I made my own video, but I've not yet decided if I will put it up.  For now I will enjoy my little spot in the sunlight, until the likes of Little MM and UpperKEES knock me off my perch.  :)

Edit: WTH, here's my version:  

cquante

Quote from: Karsten75 on May 14, 2010, 05:10:45 AM

No offense, but those huge deficits  are not the way to score good times. I made my own video, but I've not yet decided if I will put it up.  For now I will enjoy my little spot in the sunlight, until the likes of Little MM and UpperKEES knock me off my perch.  :)

Hey I never take offense.  I never seem to find the optimal way through my own maps. I know part of my problem is that I tend to want to build huge amounts of reactors, and not enough energy.  Thanks for the second video.

cquante

You know, I always forget about the drones.  I don't know why, but I rarely utilize them to finish a map.  I liked your version.  Thanks for sharing.

Karsten75

Quote from: cquante on May 14, 2010, 12:38:23 PM

Hey I never take offense.  I never seem to find the optimal way through my own maps. I know part of my problem is that I tend to want to build huge amounts of reactors, and not enough energy.  Thanks for the second video.
Quote from: cquante on May 14, 2010, 12:46:38 PM

You know, I always forget about the drones.  I don't know why, but I rarely utilize them to finish a map.  I liked your version.  Thanks for sharing.

I learned from your video the optimal path. In my initial attempts, I took the sides first. When watching your video, I realized the sides would dry up if one attacks through the center.

The only things I changed from your approach is that I did not lose the reactor (that is a substantial energy source early on) and I managed my deficits better. Building energy (collectors, reactors) when in deficits is a painfully slow process that really slows your overall times down. But it is easy to do, because one sits there and watches and then it is easy to click a few things to build, instead of waiting for the current ones to finish - which overall will be faster.

I'm pretty sure if you attempt the map again, same method, but just manage your energy better you should be able to improve on my time.  Give it a go.

Edit: One thing about your maps, they have that "replayabillity factor" that so many of the brute force maps don't have. Every time I finish a map like this I think that I can do better and I want to give it another shot.

cquante

QuoteI learned from your video the optimal path. In my initial attempts, I took the sides first. When watching your video, I realized the sides would dry up if one attacks through the center.

That's one of the reasons I like to see other videos of my maps.  When I make them, it's easy to get tunnel vision and think the player will defeat it the way I would.

Edit: One thing about your maps, they have that "replayabillity factor" that so many of the brute force maps don't have. Every time I finish a map like this I think that I can do better and I want to give it another shot.

Thank you!

NNR_Alex

sorry for the delayed response, thank you both cquante and karsten75 for the videos,  just seeing how you guys got started is the big help for me, i never really play for scores though, and i don't really use the drones all that much either, i think i just see them as a temporary solution till you can get mortars or blasters in place, but they can be very useful when used right.

DethbyIT

Fun map.
Thank you for doing all the work in creating this.
dbit

snowmaker (JM)

Nice map. It was very enjoyable to play, I could see replaying this again  ;)

CyberDyneSystems

Great map, a little tricky in the beginning to get a foot hold, then a nice methodical clean up.
I like that many of the emitters, though "un-cap-able" can be "secured" (hate it when an emitter is not able to be secured at all) at the cost of blasters and energy,. leaving us a mounting problem as we progress. Very well thought out.

As always, I'm no where near competitive with time,. but I muddled through without looking at any vids..
Now I'll take a look at see what you've all done.