Custom Map #1591: The Devious Arachnid II. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, January 11, 2015, 08:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1591: The Devious Arachnid II

Author: Xeos
Size: 160x120

Desc:
This is a re-issue of the first PAC map with some changes to force a different way to play the map. This is more how I saw the map being played when I designed it. I hope you like it.. Credit to Hubs for writing the code for the Runner Nest. Thanks :) #PlayAsCreeper #PAC

stdout

It was fun but I liked the first one much better because it offered so many different paths to victory. To me, exploring the different paths is the biggest part of the fun in PAC games.

Nevertheless, this was a fun map and I was puzzled by your void paths.

Xeos

Quote from: stdout on January 11, 2015, 08:52:39 AM
It was fun but I liked the first one much better because it offered so many different paths to victory. To me, exploring the different paths is the biggest part of the fun in PAC games.

Nevertheless, this was a fun map and I was puzzled by your void paths.

I found that as soon as someone gets a spore, then they can breach the voids even under the beams so that makes it a little too easy IMO . I like players having to move around Creep with the field as there are certain ways to do it to get a better effect and get it to places that are nearly unreachable and there is some skill and cunning in that. The spores when massed and timed for impact are pretty difficult to balance  and defend but still allowing a route through.

Its all a learning curve and thanks for the feedback. I will look at the variety of possible routes in future maps:)
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

UrMawMah

Xeos

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 11, 2015, 10:19:18 AM
Punched me right in the time!

gj!
Jeez you're slacking haha :) I just looked at the scores and feel for Filippo ! 3 hours 23 mins ! - That's perseverance right there ;) 

yui56

Quote from: Xeos on January 11, 2015, 09:03:09 AM
I like players having to move around Creep with the field...

I find the field to be my least favorite tool, and used only when absolutely necessary.  I think the thing I like least about it is being limited to only one.  If I could set a field and forget about it, or build a path of multiple fields, then I think I would use them a lot more.

Maybe a future version of the PAC code will allow one field per captured totem?  ;D

Xeos

Quote from: yui56 on January 11, 2015, 10:26:24 AM
Quote from: Xeos on January 11, 2015, 09:03:09 AM
I like players having to move around Creep with the field...

I find the field to be my least favorite tool, and used only when absolutely necessary.  I think the thing I like least about it is being limited to only one.  If I could set a field and forget about it, or build a path of multiple fields, then I think I would use them a lot more.

Maybe a future version of the PAC code will allow one field per captured totem?  ;D

That is a good point! With only one field you have to keep moving it sometimes every few seconds with pause. Maybe that will come in future maps I don't know, but thanks for leaving some feedback :)

Xeos

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 11, 2015, 12:09:03 PM

;)
Yeah that was spot on ! Did you try and do it the normal way and then realise you couldn't?

UrMawMah

I did it the normal way, the top PZ with a spore can land one JUST inside the crack between the island; It just took 20 minutes longer than I liked.

Xeos

no, i mean trying to go across the void like you did in the first attempt ?

UrMawMah

oh, haha! yeah, I figured you had some kind of trap up your sleeve, but it still surprised me!

Hubs

I liked the original better. I get what you were going for and it was interesting with that play style, but I really like my spores :)

Xeos

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 12, 2015, 10:05:26 PM
That one was hard!
But did you like it ! :) I tried to force the use of creep in a certain part of the game over spores - and then at the end its a spore fest to take the left node down so I tried to get a tactical balance.
Its learning what people like and for the most part, the pleasure and simplicity of spores ( attack anywhere and get a quick result) seems to be what they like .. Is that the same for you Hubs?