stdout's maps

Started by stdout, September 10, 2014, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stdout

Anyone up to try another one?

Spore towers spawn a runner with each spore. My plan here is to make it so that the runners are necessary to complete the map.

stdout

Second version.

mzimmer74

Quote from: stdout on October 06, 2014, 02:55:05 PM
Anyone up to try another one?

Spore towers spawn a runner with each spore. My plan here is to make it so that the runners are necessary to complete the map.

I'm always up for one of these!

I haven't tried, but I think you could actually beat this without runners.  By destroying the digitalis (when it is blue) near the beams you can get the creeper to slip onto the platform and take out the beams.  Then it's simply a matter of sending spores to the now undefended platform to take out the units there.

Nevertheless, it was kind of nice to watch the enemy being stunned by runners instead of me!  Nice job implementing them.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stdout

Quote from: mzimmer74 on October 06, 2014, 07:33:41 PMBy destroying the digitalis (when it is blue) near the beams you can get the creeper to slip onto the platform and take out the beams.  Then it's simply a matter of sending spores to the now undefended platform to take out the units there.

I realized this during my most recent playthrough. It occurs to me that this forms just another path to victory. You can do one or both. I like ideas that give the player multiple options.

pawel345

It's quite fun^^ liked it more than the huge maps^^ the runners seemed quite well... useless XD didn't really notice them.

stdout

I increased the runner count and speed, and I added snipers to help Abraxis to deal with them. I think the runners are quite noticable now. Also added a bit of stuff here and there, and a AC emitter on the island to give Abraxis more protection against broken digitalis spills. This'll probably be my last beta file for this map.

DestinyAtlantis

Great map, btw, does using mostly emitters work here? After i secured the middle PC (stable digi connection between the 2 Emitters), i switched 1 to a Spore Tower, then advanced to the bottom right, taking out the relays starved the 2 PC and they fell, then i started expanding to the 5 void totems with spores, using the remove live digi, after several frames re-add the digi growth, the bottom left fell easily, starving the PZ PC, and some spores connected  the area, then i added digi to the left and right of the base (connected respecively to the bottom 2 PZs), Runners started starving the base bit by bit, and after that, i used the remove/add digi again to connect the digi to the island, and all the runners overwhelmed the base (stunning/starving the snipers, reactors, etc.) And some help from all the Spore Towers (i used only 1 emitter the entire time, and honestly, that seems enough, since most of my digi was 20-30+ deep, non-stop burst mode), i made them auto-target, but i guess i might have removed some seconds if i targeted key structures, but oh well, 15 minutes and something. Another awesome map :)

stdout

I saw your 15 minute score - nice job. A lot of people are exploiting the digitalis removal tool and that's cool. I feel like with each new map, a new concept is forcing the use of these tools in ways that people haven't used them before.

When I played I ignored all the totems that weren't already part of my network. 1 emitter was enough to keep the digitalis system alive and then spores everywhere else.

I enjoyed making and playing this map and there's a lot of scores posted. This encourages me to continue. I'll have to give some thought to what kind of map the next one shall be....

Lost in Nowhere

Until I had all of the PZs, I had only one emitter, but after I obtained them, I put emitters on all of the PZs and have them support one of the emitters in the void, then removed the digitalis under that emitter, and then flood the base with creeper.
Don't die! :)

DestinyAtlantis

My 15 minute time was a normal playthrough (not for time).
I'll try that with the void, i wanted to do the same with the Mallard system, but i had to take almost all of the map to make it work, but i probably did it wrong. (and my time of 4 or 6 hours (i don't remember), was when i left it over night to play itself with a 1800 emitter (most of the bottom-right island was taken, and only a few defenseless structures remained)).
Btw, how about flip/slip emitters? (How come i can't take back/destroy an AC emitter that was originally mine to begin with (weren't all AC emitters originally C emitters by lore?))?

stdout

Flip emitters is a great idea. I really enjoy maps that contain them (in fact, the first map I ever put on CS employed a flip emitter.) That would make a fun mechanic in a future PAC map.

DestinyAtlantis

Has anyone tried to make a CRPL command node? (or guppy/outpost) that sends packets?

stdout

Once of warren's recent midieval series, #2 if I recall correctly, included a CRPL guppy that sends packets. It was pretty cool, actually.

DestinyAtlantis

I haven't played those maps yet, but i thought it was similar to an older map with the 4 CRPL landing pads that refilled ammo and what not, where if i'm not mistaken, you start with 1 guppy and no CNs availiable.
I'll have to play the map and take a look i guess. (i was going to play them eventually anyway).

stdout

If you remember which map you're talking about, I'd like to know. It sounds interesting.