Custom Map #838: CreeperComeback. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, July 12, 2014, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyPitbull

Hi! I registered on this forum just to say I loved this map and I hope more CreeperComeback maps are made. I loved getting to play as the creeper for a change, and it was awesome to see the AI rebuild their base and build nullifiers to fight back as I tried to expand.I went for the Northeast base after I had secured the Northwest, and was repeatedly able to get the two power nodes one level down from the main base, but kept getting nullified back, and was at a stalemate until I used the spore launcher to change fronts. Loved it! Playing again to try to get a better time lol.

teknotiss

Quote from: ChubbyPitbull on July 22, 2014, 02:22:17 PM
Hi! I registered on this forum just to say I loved this map and I hope more CreeperComeback maps are made. I loved getting to play as the creeper for a change, and it was awesome to see the AI rebuild their base and build nullifiers to fight back as I tried to expand.I went for the Northeast base after I had secured the Northwest, and was repeatedly able to get the two power nodes one level down from the main base, but kept getting nullified back, and was at a stalemate until I used the spore launcher to change fronts. Loved it! Playing again to try to get a better time lol.

Welcome to KC forums dude!  :) why not make your own version? stew has put all the info on how to on this thread and there are forum areas for questions on map making and coding.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Asterion

Have managed to get my time down from over an hour and a half to just over half an hour. Amazing what you can achieve once you start to get the basics of this map.

Most useful thing I'd say is to keep in mind that the human needs power and sometimes the easiest way to take a hill isn't to just focus up it, but to surround it and block off it's energy supply.

knoedl

I like this map, but i just cant finish it :( i captured everything above the small hill right side with 2 powers. I tried so many strategies but can never get close enough to actually make progress. any tips?

edit: my problem seems to be that my emitters are to far away to get the creepers to do any damage and the spores cant reach through die powered antispore tower :/

edit2: also, is tere any way to connect to the little island left bottom? i cleared it but cant place anything because the digitales wont turn blue

stewbasic

Quote from: knoedl on July 24, 2014, 06:27:35 PM
I like this map, but i just cant finish it :( i captured everything above the small hill right side with 2 powers. I tried so many strategies but can never get close enough to actually make progress. any tips?
edit: my problem seems to be that my emitters are to far away to get the creepers to do any damage and the spores cant reach through die powered antispore tower :/
As Asterion says above, attacking directly isn't always the best way. It sounds like you already got the PZs at the back? If you cut the hill off from the main base it'll be a lot easier, especially if you can send the CN away. (Of course brute force will work too if you have enough of it, which you probably will if you fill the lower left with supporting emitters).

Quote from: knoedl on July 24, 2014, 06:27:35 PM
edit2: also, is tere any way to connect to the little island left bottom? i cleared it but cant place anything because the digitales wont turn blue
Yes, aim your spores at the void and place digitalis just after they land. btw how did you clear it without digitalis? Overwhelming with spores?

knoedl

Quote from: stewbasic on July 24, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
As Asterion says above, attacking directly isn't always the best way. It sounds like you already got the PZs at the back? If you cut the hill off from the main base it'll be a lot easier, especially if you can send the CN away. (Of course brute force will work too if you have enough of it, which you probably will if you fill the lower left with supporting emitters).

Yes the hill upper right is conquered, exactly with the cut-the-power strategy.

Quote from: stewbasic on July 24, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
Yes, aim your spores at the void and place digitalis just after they land. btw how did you clear it without digitalis? Overwhelming with spores?
Yes, there is a little spot at the top spores can reach without being completly destroyed, 5 spores were enough. The upper defenses are fast destroyed and with a little luck with the Bertas and good field positioning you can destroy the cannon on the small strip. After that there are no defenses left for ground creeper.
I will try connecting, with the powerzones on the island i should have enough power to break through the defenses. thanks.

DestinyAtlantis

Note: Once you conquer the top half, using spore towers you can conquer the bottom middle base (only 2 normal beams), heck you could probably even conquer it before you conquered the top right section.

beardedlinuxgeek

Fantastic map! Somehow you made playing as the creeper not just possible but actually really fun. I see a lot of people complaining about the difficulty of the map. They need to read the instructions very carefully, possibly several times, and then use a lot of strategy and also experiment with different ideas in order to win.

Great map, I'd love to see you make some more. Other people could do maps where you play as the creeper, but it would be very difficult to beat how fun you made this.

Darkvortex

I love this map!
You should make another like this :)

senorjupi

:D
This is outstanding.

a bit difficult to learn the commands (at least for me)
but after a bit of study and experimentation, a blast to  play!

PLEASE upload more maps like this. 

an embarrassing number of hours spent in this game and the CRPL coders of Colonial Space  still deliver the goods!

Linden

I registered to say I love this map, Stewbasic - thank you so much. I've played it a few times, trying to beat my own time, and I'm currently at around half an hour.

I'm not a techie person so I've no clue how to go about making my own (even the word 'coding' blanks my mind right out), so I wonder if there's any chance of more like this? (Your public awaits you! :D)

Bight

Some tips to playing this map:

a) Use the 'e' key to save up creep early. Use the saved creep to carefully expand you digitalis.

b) Use towers rather than emitters whenever possible. It takes 3 to take down an unpowered beam. Take them down and build digitalis to keep them down. Don't bother attacking with them against powered beams.

c) Don't be afraid to destroy and replace emitters/towers as needed.

d) Attack weak spots first. Get easy emitters then use the easy emitters to break the hard ones.

e) Go around the back of the upper right hill rather than over it.

f) The lower left corner is vulnerable to an air attack taking the first power zone, then emitters for the rest. (You will need to drop a spore on empty space to build a bridge.)

g) The 8 power zones in the lower square can be taken with massed spore attacks. Make sure to use enough (ten-ish) to kill objectives with each wave. When you get a PZ, switch to emitters and clear the area before moving on.

h) Clean up before the final assault. To win you need to kill all the non-titan weapons. It's annoying to finish the last base and then spend another couple of minutes on a blaster you left behind on the other side of the board.

Good Luck, Bight

cecel123

If I had a dollar for every time I have played this map....I'd have a ton of dollars. I can't wait for another map like this, because every time I play it I find some new way to have fun with it!
"Mom, why would I do drugs when I have video games?"

stdout

I think Virgil should consider this concept to be the idea behind a future CW game.

cecel123

Quote from: stdout on September 01, 2014, 07:43:43 AM
I think Virgil should consider this concept to be the idea behind a future CW game.

YES!!! That would be fantastic!
"Mom, why would I do drugs when I have video games?"