Custom Map #250: MirrorImage. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, February 23, 2014, 08:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Quote from: teknotiss on March 17, 2014, 04:33:44 PM

i imagine it's the puzzle part that causes this.
..."mindbending"...

Aha!
I didn't realize it was a 'puzzle', and concur entirely on the 'mindbending' part.
Thanks Tek-Man,
H

stewbasic

Quote from: Helper on March 17, 2014, 02:43:43 PM
Is there any intention of offering some hints/spoilers?
I'm certainly happy to give hints, but I have no way of knowing what people are getting stuck on (or even whether the people who downloaded the map tried it). The feedback I got was that the start was too tight, which is why the easy (easier?) version has double the starting delay.

Quote from: teknotiss on March 17, 2014, 04:33:44 PM
if a mapper works too much on a linear or puzzle map it's possible to get so used (fast and good) to doing the start of your map it's easy to forget how hard you're actually making it.
This is probably true - a lot of tweaking went into this map, and consequently a lot of playtesting. I tried to force myself to play less inefficiently through the start of the easy version, not sure whether that was successful.

Helper

Quote from: stewbasic on March 17, 2014, 08:15:19 PM
...but I have no way of knowing what people are getting stuck on (or even whether the people who downloaded the map tried it).

You might consider reaching out to the players.
Obviously you have put a huge amount of thought and effort into creating this, but little/no effort in engaging the other players.
The DL/play ratio in CW3 is probably close to 1:1, so 140+ have probably tried to play the game, but gave up and moved on.
Even if you didn't want to give too much information in the game dialogue, it might be a good idea to monitor the DL/Score ratio and start asking for input/comments here in the game thread if it remains low.
This thread has 360+ "views/reads" and I would suggest that a large chunk of those were players looking for help.
I love to play a good, tough game, but often need just a little bit of help getting off to a good start.
Thanks for responding and looking forward to more from you.
H

stewbasic

OK, here are some hints to get started.
Spoiler

Because of the mirror effect, if you want to hold some ground on one side, there needs to be at least 0.4 (or 0.2 for easy version) creeper at the corresponding location on the other side.
Spoiler

The middle is a bad place to start, because there won't be enough creeper on the other side.
Spoiler

If you nullify the emitter(s) in the top outer corner on one side, that area will be safe because the emitter(s) on the other side will produce creeper. Same for the bottom inner corner.
[close]
[close]
[close]