Pass the map 2-Let's make a map together

Started by pawel345, February 04, 2014, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMag

Yep.. Something to think over. We must not overfill the map with cool stuff that makes it very hard to beat or understand.

Grayzzur

Cool stuff is okay. Confusing stuff is not.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Clean0nion

Here's an idea, then.
All the contributors make the map as normal. CRPL, cores, all the stuff.
Then a moderator - probably pawel - goes through all the things, removes what is detrimental, and changes the vars of things. Not to mention modifying and universal-ising the terrain.
And then that map is uploaded along with a list of what was changed to this topic. If someone doesn't like a change to their contribution, that is changed again so they're happy. And then when everyone is happy, the map gets CS'd.

Relli

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 07, 2014, 11:04:47 AM
Here's an idea, then.
All the contributors make the map as normal. CRPL, cores, all the stuff.
Then a moderator - probably pawel - goes through all the things, removes what is detrimental, and changes the vars of things. Not to mention modifying and universal-ising the terrain.
And then that map is uploaded along with a list of what was changed to this topic. If someone doesn't like a change to their contribution, that is changed again so they're happy. And then when everyone is happy, the map gets CS'd.
That's a good plan. Everyone throws in what they want to, and then someone with an eye for game balance goes in and tweaks it until it's just right.
You guys should pick the person who'll play Balancer. Or if there are a lot of people interested, maybe give it to someone new each map.

So how about it? Who would be interested in filling that role?

MadMag

Clean0nion

Quote from: MadMag on February 07, 2014, 02:17:20 PM
Grayzzur or Pawel..
Agreed. I'd do it but:
1. I take so long to do stuff.
2. I'd forget.
3. I can't handle that commitment!

MadMag

QuoteAgreed. I'd do it but:
You are crazy...

pawel345

I can gladly supervise, as it was me who came up with the idea in the first place, ofc as this is a community effort I only get to do more or less cosmetic changes to improve playability.

Warpsing

UNLOCKED.

completed the terrain. also, that's a hellrider guppy down there, that has the emitter a bit more resistant, but still vulnerable.

so, it takes ammo and AC, and does nothing with it. it also prevents building within an area. and connects to  structures, also uses spores.  It also acts as a shell for a mobile emitter. also, it is capble if being snipered and beamed, so if you don't have a certain update, the guppy might be unintentionally harder.

also, those red things make terrain upon beaming them... wait, did i make them snipeable?

Grayzzur

UNLOCKED
Fixed some terrain in my section.
Grammar/spell check on the opening conversation.
Moved an energy node near the damaged turret to a place not as quickly overrun by creeper.

Ok everyone... time to play for difficulty/balance/bugs and see what needs to be polished before releasing to the community.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grayzzur

My initial feel is that there's too much happening too quickly at the starting location, and random things can overwhelm you quickly. And that's with the turrets all shooting blanks.

C0: Something's wrong with the turrets. They make noise, but they don't even tickle. And once they're fixed, it's going to be a very hard map as-is, in my opinion.

Ok, I get the Hellrider Guppy shooting out spores. That's fine. There are ALSO random spores appearing from random origins. I don't understand those. What's the deal there?

Also, what's the point of the collectors in the void PZ's? And why are there 2 collectors in each PZ?

pawel345

Right, the turrets still have the old script, fixing it now. The random spores come form the "Guppy" as the script says to shoot a spore form random location to it's location. I will comment it out as it will just confuse the player.

Edits to the map:
-Changed the net_turret.crpl with the one I wrote(C0 if you want your fixed script I can place it there but form your comment I understood that you agreed to my original solution).
-Lowered the range of the stationary turret near the forge to 25 form 30.
-Removed the random spores form the Helrider Guppy, it still fires spores but the ones form random locations are removed.
-Removed the PZ collectors and relays in the void. I realize they where placed there so that guppy can eat packets form the network but the player can destroy them with one click so there is no point in them.
-Changed so that you can rebuild the forge for 1000 packets if you don't manage to save it. Also changed the conversation accordingly. It should make things a bit easier while still make the player to rush for the forge if possible.
-Changed the max number of turrets to 6, also made the factory produce smaller turrets, range 12, speed 0.8. 11 turrets would make the game almost unplayable. Also increased the interval to 900.

Clean0nion

Do the turrets still fire blanks? If so, I really have no idea what's going on there. They work on my home save.

pawel345

It seems so. I am looking at the script now, I noticed something breaks when they have more than one target in range. Add your working script here. But check if they are firing when there are more than 1 unit in range also if they keep firing after they have destroyed a unit. For me they work, and then suddenly stop working around 30 sec into the game.

Clean0nion

Quote from: pawel345 on February 08, 2014, 06:57:46 AM
It seems so. I am looking at the script now, I noticed something breaks when they have more than one target in range. Add your working script here. But check if they are firing when there are more than 1 unit in range also if they keep firing after they have destroyed a unit. For me they work, and then suddenly stop working around 30 sec into the game.
Loaded a bunch of turrets onto a separate map using a slightly outdated script.
Some fire, some don't. If a turret notices a unit, it fires successfully. But it doesn't always notice the unit.
This feature seems to be randomly distributed amongst turrets moving and stationary. I'm working on this.

UPDATE: If a turret has been firing at a unit and a closer unit appears, it stops. That's the error. Trying to find a solution.

UPDATE: I'm seeing no issues with the script. Ugh.