Custom Map #147: What if we tried more power?. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, January 26, 2014, 12:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #147: What if we tried more power?

Author: planetfall
Size: 64x72

Desc:
You discover an unstable technology that can summon power zones -- for a price. (Much harder than it sounds.)

Flabort

My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Grayzzur

Very interesting concept. I like it. Except for the noise those zone generators make... that is annoying!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Helper

Interesting concept, but games without Totems seem to inevitably turn into a slog.
H

planetfall

Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 05:52:14 AM
Interesting concept, but games without Totems seem to inevitably turn into a slog.
H

I never much liked totems (or tech domes, for that matter). I would much prefer a map with only aether packs because it makes selecting upgrades that much more strategic, but there's not a ton of room to put a forge and anyway making "vanilla" maps isn't much fun to me. So the generators are like an alternative to the totems that have a higher ongoing cost and can only upgrade one unit at a time.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

teknotiss

Quote from: planetfall on January 26, 2014, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 05:52:14 AM
H
So the generators are like an alternative to the totems that have a higher ongoing cost and can only upgrade one unit at a time.

so.....not really like totems at all then?
how about crafting a crpl Forge that only takes a 3x3 footprint? (not you necessarily, but a code monkey could do it!)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

Quote from: planetfall on January 26, 2014, 10:14:07 AM
I never much liked totems (or tech domes, for that matter). I would much prefer a map with only aether packs...

I don't really care what the source of the Aether is, but without it most games are not worth playing.
There just isn't a lot of fun in slogging through Creeper for an hour, when it could be a nice tight 15-20 minute game.

planetfall

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

MizInIA

I liked that powered power zones. I look forward more maps that use them.

stewbasic

btw it seems like CW doesn't deal well with power zones appearing and disappearing. If the PZ is there when I place a reactor, but disappears before the reactor finishes building, the reactor still gives +4 energy (at least for game version v1.61).

planetfall

Quote from: stewbasic on January 26, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
btw it seems like CW doesn't deal well with power zones appearing and disappearing. If the PZ is there when I place a reactor, but disappears before the reactor finishes building, the reactor still gives +4 energy (at least for game version v1.61).

Well, that's annoying. At first I used GetAllUnitsInRange to destroy the units on depowered zones, because I thought it would cleanly get the PZ's as well, loop, destroy, bam. It didn't, but I decided not to mess with what I thought to be working code so I left the original function in. Can GetUnitAt select unbuilt units?

Asbestos

This was really hard. The power zone makers took too much energy and the only spot to land is on digitalis.

Katra

Victory - by carefully avoiding connecting the doggone power leeches to my network.  ;D (I did briefly activate one by accident - cost me a cannon.)  :o
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Flabort

I tried that, but didn't have enough power anyways, lack of space.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Clean0nion

Quote from: Flabort on January 27, 2014, 12:14:42 AM
I tried that, but didn't have enough power anyways, lack of space.
What if you tried more power?