Setting void level.

Started by Otterbear, December 01, 2013, 01:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterbear

I'm not even close to knowing where to start on this but,
I was wondering is its possible to lower the void maxheight, so that smaller amounts of Creeper would "Leak" into space?

I know that it is set to level 500, and that any emitter that exceeds that amount should eventually leak into space. But I was hoping to not have to create such large emitters.
TIA,

Annonymus

I'm not sure if that works but maybe you could use setterrainoverride.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

J

SetTerrainOverride should work for this: http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=crpl:docs:setterrainoverride
If it doesn't, try setting the terrain to any level, mark it for terraforming, change it to void and wait (while terps work) until it reaches the level you want. This does mean you have to count hundreds of terrain levels.

Otterbear

Ok, I imagined this was what I had to do.

Just curious, is there a command to remove the "SetTerrainOverride".
For instance could I use it and then have it disappear at a certain point, so that a wall of creeper comes out?
I haven't played the credits game yet, maybe this happens.

Thanks to all for your help.

Relli

Quote from: Otterbear on December 01, 2013, 07:23:19 PM
Ok, I imagined this was what I had to do.

Just curious, is there a command to remove the "SetTerrainOverride".
For instance could I use it and then have it disappear at a certain point, so that a wall of creeper comes out?
I haven't played the credits game yet, maybe this happens.

Thanks to all for your help.
You could simply set the override again, back to what it originally was, or any other value you see fit. If there's a faster way than that, I don't know it.

Otterbear

Thanks Riluna,
Why I didn't think of that, I have no idea.  :-[

Clean0nion

<-x <-y GeTerrain SetTerrainOverride does that.

Lost in Nowhere

You'd need two X-Y sets, though, so:
<-x <-y <-x <-y GetTerrain SetTerrainOverride
Don't die! :)

Grayzzur

Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on December 01, 2013, 08:50:37 PM
You'd need two X-Y sets, though, so:
<-x <-y <-x <-y GetTerrain SetTerrainOverride
This is a good spot to use "dup2" as a shortcut - it duplicates the top 2 items on the stack.
<-x <-y dup2 GetTerrain SetTerrainOverride
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

J

Remember that terraforming after 'undoing' a terrain override won't change the terrain overrride, meaning you have to undo it again.
Also I just checked that if you set a terrain override to 500, creeper from terrain can move freely into void. Use it to create special effects.

Clean0nion

Quote from: J on December 02, 2013, 11:32:25 AM
Remember that terraforming after 'undoing' a terrain override won't change the terrain overrride, meaning you have to undo it again.
Also I just checked that if you set a terrain override to 500, creeper from terrain can move freely into void. Use it to create special effects.
Alternatively, set the override on a path of void to 1, then add creeper. It'll act like undetectable digitalis.

Otterbear

Thanks again to all the responders.
This should make for some interesting maps soon.

Quote from: J on December 02, 2013, 11:32:25 AM

Isn't this what Clean0nion, Lost in Nowhere, and Grayzzur are talking about, or have I missed something?

Quote from: J on December 02, 2013, 11:32:25 AMAlso I just checked that if you set a terrain override to 500, creeper from terrain can move freely into void. Use it to create special effects.

I thought "Void" defaulted to 500? I'm not sure I follow what you did here.

EDIT: OK, so if Void is 500, and you set the terrain in a certain area, say near/under and emitter, than that creeper should flow into the void. right?

Kingo

Quote from: Otterbear on December 02, 2013, 09:59:30 PM

Quote from: J on December 02, 2013, 11:32:25 AMAlso I just checked that if you set a terrain override to 500, creeper from terrain can move freely into void. Use it to create special effects.

I thought "Void" defaulted to 500? I'm not sure I follow what you did here.

Void is level 500.

Otterbear

Thanks Kingo. That got me thinking in the right direction.

Just a thought: Are we going about this in the wrong direction maybe?
Maybe if the VOID setting could be lowered, that would alleviate a lot of coding.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Otterbear on December 03, 2013, 12:59:28 AM
Just a thought: Are we going about this in the wrong direction maybe?
Maybe if the VOID setting could be lowered, that would alleviate a lot of coding.

SetTerrainOverride works on void space, too.

$VoidHeight:200

once
MapWidth 0 do
MapHeight 0 do
J I GetVoid
if
J I <-VoidHeight SetTerrainOverride
endif
loop
loop
endonce
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker