Is there a way to choose the music for a map?

Started by Clean0nion, November 27, 2013, 06:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

Is there a way to set the music that plays on a map, whether that's custom music or one from the nine already in the game?
I noticed that one track is called "7-CW3-With Both Triumph and Hardship (Credits)" which implies that this piece is used only in the credits. Can this be set in other custom maps as well, or is that just the music for the after-Arca rather than Fortress of Darkness?

nebzero

I would absolutely love this... I would probably end up using CW1's music... haha

Grauniad

Allowing external music to be referenced/packaged with CW3 maps opens up a hornet's nest of Digital Rights issues. Hence it was much easier to suggest players listen to their own music players/soundtracks. As for choosing specific tracks, I'm not aware of any method to do that. It might be a useful addition to CRPL or a setting in the Editor to arrange a playlist.

I'll move this to support (in lieu of a suggestions board for CW3).
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

nebzero

I know this is a wild suggestion-- but it could even be possible to 'set' playlists from Spotify in Creeper World 3 custom maps. Spotify does allow companies to use their library. That's a long shot, though.

Just give us an "unofficial" way to put custom music onto maps and we'll use it  ;)

Clean0nion

Quote from: nebzero on November 28, 2013, 10:24:59 PM
Just give us an "unofficial" way to put custom music onto maps and we'll use it  ;)
Not even that. I just want to be able to put in my CRPL

once
   GetMusicVolume ->vol_original
  GetMusicVolume 0 do
     GetMusicVolume ->vol
     <-vol 1 sub SetMusicVolume
     2 Delay
  loop
   StopMusic
   "1-CW3-Desperation" PlayMusic
   <-vol_original SetMusicVolume
endonce  

Ceraus

Entirely right! CW3 has enough variety in its in-mission music that just playing those tracks on cue could be used to great effect.

knucracker

Setting the tracks to play, or switching to a track (all built in tracks) I could see adding.  The volume I'm a little more hesitant on.  Sometimes people just turn the volume down because of the environment they are in (boss, sleeping baby, parents, wife, husband...) or because they don't want any music or they play their own.  For a map to be able to crank up the music all of a sudden... that might not be too cool.

Grauniad

I would definitely argue - to the full extent of my capability -  against allowing CRPL access to sound volume.

Relli

As a compromise to that, you could allow it access only to the volume at or below what the player has it set to. So it would never be louder than you wanted, but the map makers could still do cool things with it. I don't know how hard that would be, and I have no special need for it myself, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Lost in Nowhere

Or the volume could just be a percentage of what is set in the options menu.
Don't die! :)

Grauniad

kwinse

That could still be used maliciously. Set the music to like 1% to lure users to crank their speakers to hear it, then turn it back up to the max and blast their ears.

Kharnellius

Quote from: kwinse on November 30, 2013, 10:38:36 AM
That could still be used maliciously. Set the music to like 1% to lure users to crank their speakers to hear it, then turn it back up to the max and blast their ears.

Yes, and you could also make a CRPL script that made all your buildings blow up after a few minutes of gameplay.

Point being, there's a million other things you could do to screw with players that are not blocked so I don't understand why you'd worry about someone going out of their way to produce the scenario you just mentioned when there are tons of others way someone could grief a player that aren't stopped.

nebzero

I do think the solution to this fabricated and hypothetical problem with 'sound volume' is simple... Just don't allow anyone but the user to control master volume (and even above that, they have their own computer's volume to control...)

Also, since the music from Creeper World 1 is royalty free (such as Arcadia) it would be awesome to be able to use it-- if not, that's cool too. Any control over music would be awesome.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Kharnellius on December 01, 2013, 04:08:51 PM
Quote from: kwinse on November 30, 2013, 10:38:36 AM

Yes, and you could also make a CRPL script that made all your buildings blow up after a few minutes of gameplay.

Point being, there's a million other things you could do to screw with players that are not blocked so I don't understand why you'd worry about someone going out of their way to produce the scenario you just mentioned when there are tons of others way someone could grief a player that aren't stopped.

The difference is that blowing up their buildings is only annoying and frustrating to the player, and may make them not want to play your maps anymore.

Jacking up the volume affects the environment they are in outside of the game -- it can affect other people in the room or building. In a worst case scenario, you might be able to cause damage to the player's ears if they have headphones on.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker