Started by AutoPost, September 21, 2013, 09:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2499: Field World

Author: Viper00900

Desc:
Tons of fields, and maybe even a surprise or two

viper00900

I hope you all enjoy this map, setting the fields up was a lot of fun.  Without spoiling the surprise tell me what you all thought please!
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

Angel

Before even playing it. Save before breaking ANY AND ALL terrain!
All of my maps take a few things:
1. Patience.
2. Saving often/trying different things every time.
3. Knowing that the simple is always wrong.
4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate. :D

purpleyukari

I liked some of the fields.  Of course the ending was kind of suprising, and I forgot to use the dark beam until the very end.

Karsten75

Quote from: viper00900 on September 21, 2013, 09:39:43 PM
I hope you all enjoy this map, setting the fields up was a lot of fun.  Without spoiling the surprise tell me what you all thought please!

Here's my hones opinion. I hope you enjoyed the map, because a few of the things you did kind of ruined to for me in that it reduces my wish to replay this map.

Spoiler

First you put the final gateway in a very inaccessible place. Far as I can tell, the only solution is to use the DB to destroy it. But then you give it a health of 2, meaning I now have to sit there, already knowing I don't have a challenge with the strong drones, whittling away at the gateway's extra health. THen you deliberately reduced the mirrors to two. SO if the final surprise kills me, I get to restore my last save and play again (if the player has a save), or I have to destroy the DB and sit there while building another DB.  Neither of these issues are in any way a challenge to the player, yet they detract from the enjoyability of your map.
[close]

The spiral room concept was nice, few of the rooms presented a real issue that was hard to overcome.

Angel

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 22, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

Here's my hones opinion. I hope you enjoyed the map, because a few of the things you did kind of ruined to for me in that it reduces my wish to replay this map.

Spoiler

First you put the final gateway in a very inaccessible place. Far as I can tell, the only solution is to use the DB to destroy it. But then you give it a health of 2, meaning I now have to sit there, already knowing I don't have a challenge with the strong drones, whittling away at the gateway's extra health. THen you deliberately reduced the mirrors to two. SO if the final surprise kills me, I get to restore my last save and play again (if the player has a save), or I have to destroy the DB and sit there while building another DB.  Neither of these issues are in any way a challenge to the player, yet they detract from the enjoyability of your map.
[close]

The spiral room concept was nice, few of the rooms presented a real issue that was hard to overcome.
I agree, he could've reduced te gateways health to 1.
Should've read my comment, and save before breaking terrain, or just hit 'R'
2 mirrors so it is more of a challenge. So you can't build the dB next t your LS, safe for enternity.
It was a very easy, unique, cool, enjoyable map. Sometimes it's fun jus tto pla y a map like this where it's fun to look at the fields, but it's easy and fun.
(all of this is my opinion)
All of my maps take a few things:
1. Patience.
2. Saving often/trying different things every time.
3. Knowing that the simple is always wrong.
4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate. :D

viper00900

The 2 health gateway was put there to frustrate you and make you forget to save/move the db.  I understand that a 2 health anything is annoying to destroy with the gateway.  I thank you for your comments!

Spoiler
I used repulsers to defeat the fields that pour into the room you are working in, two did the trick for me nicely.  8 blasters and 6 launchers were used as well.
[close]
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

PumpkinDog

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 22, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

Spoiler

[close]

Here's how I handled the final gateway:

Spoiler
Just turn off the db and let the guy rampage through the level for awhile while you use a couple nullifiers on the gateway.  Just gotta quick delete any rifts if he gets close to them
[close]

teknotiss

"q" disables a m-rift so you can reopen it after the danger has passed.  ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Laithaldien

Grauniad

Quote from: Laithaldien on January 13, 2014, 03:57:54 PM
Yay! Finally a Cube map again

LOL, September, October, November, December, January... and you noticed? :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

pocketdare

Very nice map. Agree with all the comments that the structure (and surprise) of the last room made it more of a needless grind than it had to be. But fun cube map aside from that!