Custom Map: Caldera

Started by AutoPost, August 25, 2010, 03:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Caldera

Author: Pyxis_GeeK

Desc:
This is my first map please comment and give feed back.

Thanks!!!!

Commander it appears that we have transported to another less than ideal spot on this world.

km

Thanks for the map. Firstly I'd grade this as an 'easy' as there is little real threat involved. Secondly, once you have the artefact, which after all is the closest thing to OC, you learn something rather significant. So I'd have preferred not to have this vital piece of information.

Pyxis_GeeK

Thanks for the feedback. In hindsight I guess I should have left the artifact off. My goal was to make you think you had more time than what you actually did. I was thinking some players may spend some time building infastructure only to find that once the creeper starts spilling over on the left and right that there was really no hope of containing it. Oh well. I will take that into consideration for other maps I am working on.

Thanks.

Sqaz

Even though i didn't had problems with the time limit, I was to fast, and I always open new maps in the editor, I can imagine that it must be veryfrustrating for people that like to build up and only get that message at say 8min, which forces them to restart.

Also the creeper is to slow, I didn't need any weapons.

Pyxis_GeeK

I know the creeper is rather slow to start with. My main purpose was for people to think they had more time than what they actually do. If they take the time to build up defenses before advancing on the creeper they are in for a surprise around 4 minutes into the map.

I beat it with no weapons as well.

Sqaz

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on August 25, 2010, 10:18:27 AM
I know the creeper is rather slow to start with. My main purpose was for people to think they had more time than what they actually do. If they take the time to build up defenses before advancing on the creeper they are in for a surprise around 4 minutes into the map.

That only causes the player to restart, and rush it without weapons. Maybe some small 1 intensity emitters could've made it less easy to rush, and more likely people would overbuild and wait on the initial island. Or you could've placed some totems close on the lvl 5 terrain close to the emitters.

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: Sqaz on August 25, 2010, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on August 25, 2010, 10:18:27 AM

That only causes the player to restart, and rush it without weapons. Maybe some small 1 intensity emitters could've made it less easy to rush, and more likely people would overbuild and wait on the initial island. Or you could've placed some totems close on the lvl 5 terrain close to the emitters.

Yes you are correct. I didnt think of that when I initially designed the map. This is my first so I really do appreciate the feedback. I hope my next few will earn a good stamp of approval from the community.

Karsten75

So wait, let me understand this. You build a very long delay into the map and you don't think we'll rush the totems? You seriously think we'll sit back, try and build up a huge infrastructure for 10 minutes and not figure out that we can restart, build a line of collectors to the totems and rift out?

Pyxis_GeeK

No I dont expect you to sit there. But I figured that some players (including myself dont always go for the fastest time) would see that there is no real rush to start with so they may spend some time spreading out building infrastructure only to possibly get overwhelmed once the delayed emitters go off. I have no problem that the map has been pawned. It was my first and I learned alot from this feedback. It will make my next maps better. (Im hoping)