Started by AutoPost, November 01, 2021, 05:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2510: Space battle 2 Lethality

Author: Vertu
Size: 256x256

Hatsee

Fun map.

Not much land to build on though, oh well. 

Niflthaena

Ah, the Particle Fleet. Love to see these back in action.

InwardChaos

I had a slight issue with the friendly massive missile weapon.
Whenever it fired, my Fighters and R-Fighter stopped attacking until the missile landed. My mortars also ceased fire, which makes me believe that you've used whatever attack type the mortar uses for the fighters and missile weapon, most likely for how devastating that type is to pooled creeper.
The issue is that mortars appear to have some sort of aiming logic that restricts their ability to shoot on the same patch of creeper if a shot in flight will destroy the patch of creeper. Because the missile is so powerful and so large, it designates a massive area that is flagged to be destroyed and needs no more firepower on it. Due to the flight time of the missile, however, the creeper currently in place has time to spread and potentially destroy your defences while your mortars are sitting around twiddling their non-existant thumbs.
I'm aware that the work-around is to defend with cannons, as they have no issues performing overkill on creeper, but in this map, with all of the small islands surrounded by void, cannons aren't an effective defence.

Vertu

Quote from: InwardChaos on November 03, 2021, 03:01:48 PM
Whenever it fired, my Fighters and R-Fighter stopped attacking until the missile landed. My mortars also ceased fire, which makes me believe that you've used whatever attack type the mortar uses for the fighters and missile weapon, most likely for how devastating that type is to pooled creeper.
The issue is that mortars appear to have some sort of aiming logic that restricts their ability to shoot on the same patch of creeper if a shot in flight will destroy the patch of creeper. Because the missile is so powerful and so large, it designates a massive area that is flagged to be destroyed and needs no more firepower on it. Due to the flight time of the missile, however, the creeper currently in place has time to spread and potentially destroy your defences while your mortars are sitting around twiddling their non-existant thumbs.
I'm aware that the work-around is to defend with cannons, as they have no issues performing overkill on creeper, but in this map, with all of the small islands surrounded by void, cannons aren't an effective defence.
This is false. When the missile is launched and fighters are firing in an area it will land in, they will still fire. Same for mortars.
I don't know what caused what ever happened for you but I can not replicate it and therefor can't find a problem to fix.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Fireswamp

Quote from: Vertu on November 03, 2021, 05:23:20 PM
Quote from: InwardChaos on November 03, 2021, 03:01:48 PM
This is false. When the missile is launched and fighters are firing in an area it will land in, they will still fire. Same for mortars.
I don't know what caused what ever happened for you but I can not replicate it and therefor can't find a problem to fix.

I was able to replicate the issue and can tell you that this happens because the SML script adds to the damage map when the missile launches.  Any weapon that uses GetMaxCreeperCellWithDamage (including mortars and fighters on target deepest) to determine targets will treat any tile in range with less than 100 creeper as empty for the purposes of finding a target to shoot.

Vertu

Ok that is better explained. Been a bit light headed recently so I will blame that.
I will alter the SML to not place damage mapping.
The problem with me not doing this earlier was because I always used cannons in the front that were more than capable with dealing with Creeper under 100 with their support behind them. So I never thought it was going to be an issue.
Thank you for clarifying a bit more. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.