i cant play my maps

Started by mniip, March 05, 2010, 02:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mniip

i cant play my maps either. i have 0380, i reinstalled it, bu t i cant find custom maps button.  ???
http://igaek.ru/cpw.bmp

knucracker

You don't have version 0380.... you have a version file that says 0380 and a main.swf that is an older version.  This is because you replaced main.swf.
The "custom maps" button is as hard coded as the rest of the buttons.... so long as you actually have a main.swf that is actually version 0380.

See, I can also tell that this is an old main.swf because there are more changes on the main screen than just a custom maps button.  I make small changes to every version so I can tell when somebody posts a screen shot what version it actually is (even though the version number reports what is in the air xml file).

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on March 05, 2010, 03:07:42 PM
...there are more changes on the main screen than just a custom maps button.  I make small changes to every version so I can tell when somebody posts a screen shot what version it actually is (even though the version number reports what is in the air xml file).

LOL, now we have a new game!  :)  We can play "spot the difference" with the various versions of CW.  I checked my 0380 version and I *did* spot a difference, though I wasn't sure if it could actually count as more than one "difference."

Virgil, on a more serious note, perhaps you could cut down on issues like this if you hardcode the version number into the opening page. That way if someone does this, they will immediately see they did it and then they won't come here to complain? Or otherwise, could the game itself check  on a version in the game code and report if that is out of whack with the AIR file version?

knucracker

I started hard coding the version number in 0380, even though I have to update the version in two places now.  But, all of the old versions are still floating around out there and they are coded to look at the xml file for the version number.  So even when somebody installs version 0380 and they replace main.swf with an older version they think they have scored since the older versions look at the xml file for the version string.

Next game, I'll just hard code the version number from the very start.

Karsten75

I guess part of the "developer experience" is to see in how many ways your users can mess up? ;)

As someone once said: "We develop fool-proof systems, but then we expect geniuses to work with them."

mniip

And i must to pay 9$ more? ??? :( >:(

Karsten75

You don't have to buy the game again. If you have saved the original download, simply uninstall the game and install it again. If you don't have the download, check the email link. It is good for a few weeks. If that fails, contact the payment processor, Virgil said that they will send you a download link again.

jem

the mute, menu and the music button, also you lowered the "how to play button" and i also think that the new version has a more blue text ver: 0380. am i right?

this how it really have to look like:
remember to play my maps. maps from the player jem! http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=jem