Custom Map #4335: Creeper blocks Hard. By: Raven_C

Started by AutoPost, March 27, 2017, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4335: Creeper blocks Hard

Author: Raven_C
Size: 180x180

Desc:
I Apoligize in advance. I recommend trying the normal version first. This is what i planned at first or similar changes but, i didn't... Until now. Changes: More creeper, more spores and more problems Spoiler alert Top left corner should be one of the best spots to start in, if you don not go there or the other good spots. You can and most likely will doom yourself. Good luck

GoodMorning

Having played the previous version, this was not too difficult, though the spore spawners were a surprise.

Spoiler

I started top-left, built a reactor on the PZ, then expanded apace. Make a beeline for the Relay to aid expansion, and get most of your power from Collectors. Snipers before Beams, and both before the Forge (which should be started early). Snipers can be built at home, then flown out.

This contained the Digi farily well, though the furthest nest got a line to the Runners. You need Beams as soon as you can, one per block to hold it, and several near each nest for the Spore-crawler.

Once power is stable, PZ some Berthas to speed the assault, then attack with mortars and AC from those Emitters. When the Forge finally builds, packet speed and build rate can help. If you get there in time, some Digi can be removed to rehabilitate a part-flooded island.
[close]

My time can be halved by someone better at the game, I would say. Especially with use of those energy packs to hurry early expansion.

I found little use for the Bombers.

Spoiler

If the nests were contained early enough, you would need 20 Beams (3/factory, 1/tower) and five Snipers. The map would then become a speedrun to see how fast the fairly-easy cells can be Nullified, and then the Berthas can remove the Creeper on the factories. The forge would be building for most of the game.
[close]

Speedrunners could probably begin immediately left of the Relay tech.

To Raven_C:
Spoiler

Most of the map can be kept from seeing a drop of Creeper, avoiding most of the work. Also, the slow Forge might be more fun as a pickup rather than a slow build. Limiting Relays rather than Shields and Bombers might be good, and perhaps you could award a Bertha tech for each factory destroyed?
[close]

There are merely thoughts for your consideration. I thoroughly enjoyed this map. It even encouraged me to rush the CRPL units, which is something I have not done (I seem to recall) since Turkos Prime. This map even allowed the backup method (normal-ish grind), which meant that the implied suggestion to rush was taken with much better grace than if it were the only option.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Raven_C

Thank you for the advice(All of it sounds like it would work well to make the map more fun/difficult), I finished the map about the same way(But slower).

It seems a lot of people like this style of map, so I plan on improving it and making similar block like creations.

Johnny Haywire

VERY nice map - I typically hate to micromanage stuff but I wanted to see how fast I could manage it. Raven, I liked the threat of the digitalis-making CPRL stuff. Did I see some Spore-Spawning CPRL stuff too? It died too fast for me to see what it did, but that's a cool idea!  ;D

I started where the power packs are, in the middle of the map because...

Spoiler
Essentially this map is "How fast can you build an effective, stable network that covers the entire map?" Going for those energy packs enabled me to link the two other groups of energy packs, which helps speed things up tremendously.
[close]

Granted, once I got my network built up I probably moved a lot slower than Dom, EA, and Alter can move - I don't think I attacked more than 3 or 4 emitters at a time.

I'm going to use my reputable powers of prediction and say one of those guys will do this in 8 minutes. And then I'll feel sad, because I really worked hard to hit the 10-minute mark and kept forgetting stuff like aiming the bertha at a new location, moving attackers around, etc. - Just too much to focus on for someone who is easily LOOK, A SQUIRREL!

Thanks for the excellent map!  ;D ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

D0m0nik

Your score is very impressive Johnny (I got 15 mins on the easy version), you must have had the curtains drawn, snacks locked away in another room and some blinkers on!

Look forward to giving this a go later, also look froward to more of the same. Micromanagement maps are best when they can be won in 10-15 mins or so as the process of pausing/reloading etc takes time!

D0m0nik

Just played it for 8.53, much faster than my go on the easy version but I did not realise the first time:

Spoiler
One Sniper and one beam on the big nests in effect renders the CRPL threat mute.
[close]

With 3000 energy available in packs you can attack hard!

Spoiler
I used every PZ for power, did not bother with berthas at all. Forge upgrades also went into power but I was half finished by then would have been better used on build speads.
[close]

Johnny Haywire

Excellent time, Dom! Yeah I paused and micro'd this about as much as I could tolerate. As I was going I saw several places I could have cut time, but I would've had to save/load too much. It's a cool map to micro though!

chaseshaw

are we all playing the same map? I created an account just to say I find this one impossible. nonsensical mechanics and 5 hours of my life I can't get back and now rage-quit.

chaseshaw

edit to say it's easier now. it would have helped A LOT (and been the difference between a 10 rating and a 2 rating and a lot of frustration and rage quitting) if there had just been a little note explaining that snipers take care of the roving creeper bases.

GoodMorning

A good point, chaseshaw. Also, welcome to the forum.

It is perhaps likely that players will discover the ability of the Snipers while targeting Runners. I knew of this from the original map, but this would be extremely frustrating without knowing that.

It is also worth noting that beams will kill the roving spore generators.

On a slightly different point, you can modify your original post to avoid making a new one immediately following it.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Johnny Haywire

Welcome to the forums, chaseshaw! The sniper & beam thing is pretty much just experimenting. Any time you see a new CRPL unit, just build everything around it on your first run to see what kills it. Then restart the game with that newfound knowledge and you'll be set to go!  ;)

PS - Most everyone is friendly here - if you have questions on gameplay, strategy, etc. just ask and (usually) someone will be glad to help!  :)