Placing enemy ships

Started by Dark Ambition, December 20, 2016, 04:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Ambition

I'm still trying to learn how to make maps and stuff, and I want my next map to have these enemy ships in it and three of them to be stations arranged in a nice looking way kinda like they're connected.

Spoiler
[close]

But I can't figure out how to move these stations into the position I want them in. I put these ships in the licence manager and built them as my own ships to show how I want them to look
Spoiler
[close]

I don't know how to get them to get in that position, I can't directly move them like I can with my ships sooo... :(
halp

Before anyone mocks me for not knowing something as simple as moving these ships, understand that I am a complete noob at this. I've never done anything like this before, so basics are greek to me.

(Whimpers...)

GoodMorning

There are a few things that you can do.

1. Build the ship, set a patrol waypoint (at the Spawner), then drag it around until the ship follows it into place. This works exactly once, at the start of the map.

2. Set a single waypoint and place the spawn point elsewhere, and lt the ship turn on the way.

3. PRPL a script to get enemy ship bridges spawned, and use that to warp them to precisely where you want them. This may drop them on player ships. Alternatively, rotate them after they arrive.

The third is hardest, the others may affect the balance of the map. Your decision.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

This is the reason why I put a thread in the Suggestions part of the forum, with the suggestion "to be able to move AI ships by hand in the Editor just like you can with normal ships". Though nobody has even noticed or acknowledged the thread, to my knowledge.

Suggestions thread
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 20, 2016, 05:08:27 AM
There are a few things that you can do.

1. Build the ship, set a patrol waypoint (at the Spawner), then drag it around until the ship follows it into place. This works exactly once, at the start of the map.

2. Set a single waypoint and place the spawn point elsewhere, and lt the ship turn on the way.

3. PRPL a script to get enemy ship bridges spawned, and use that to warp them to precisely where you want them. This may drop them on player ships. Alternatively, rotate them after they arrive.

The third is hardest, the others may affect the balance of the map. Your decision.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
They're doing this on purpose, aren't they?! Trying to disrupt my plans...

Why is this happening to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i dont like it

If you don't know what happened, the piece moved to the location I wanted it to be in at the rotation I wanted, but then it decided to turn around in the complete opposite rotation when it arrived. I can't have that. It needs to stay still, but it won't! sobs

Should I just... not move them, keep them still, and remake my map around them? I'd have to delete everything though... Fighting from right to left doesn't sound as good as from bottom to top either.

Relli

Quote from: Dark Ambition on December 20, 2016, 12:58:22 PM
Should I just... not move them, keep them still, and remake my map around them? I'd have to delete everything though... Fighting from right to left doesn't sound as good as from bottom to top either.
I'm out of my element here, but lemme throw out a few suggestions on the off-chance. If you want them to stay in place, can you not spawn them in at the location you want them to stay in? Or does that account for location but not rotation? As for rotation, what about redrawing them in the editor to be pre-rotated the intended direction? I can tell that neither suggestion works in all cases, but hopefully one of them will work in yours.

Oblivion

Why not create a new ship that shows the top ship rotated. That might work since they orient themselves into how they look like in the editor
~Memes have been scientifrically proven to be the very essence of life unto itself~

GoodMorning

When I have a real keyboard, I'll do you a script.

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 20, 2016, 05:37:23 PM
When I have a real keyboard, I'll do you a script.

///COMMENCE EMBARRASSED BACKPEDALING///

No no no! You don't need to do that! I can figure this out, it shouldn't be too difficult! And besides, the next update might have this added anyway! Besides, I need to learn this myself anyway! Heh...  :-[

I'm just being a lazy whiner, you don't need to take up the stead for me...

That embarrassed emoticon looks way too sad...

GoodMorning

For me, it's a matter of perhaps two minutes.

$Angle:0 #Radians

CurrentCoords 2.5 1 GetAllShipsInRange ->Ships
<-Ships GetListCount 0 do
<-Ships[I] ->Ship
<-Ship.ShipIsEnemy if
<-Angle ->Ship.ShipRotation
endif
loop

Timed it... under two min, but I don't recall which minute I started on, so it may by 0:55 or 1:55. Now to check the commands and prettify.

And another two minutes to type the above and do that.

See, I write these so that my five minutes can save you half an hour. And the script is reusable.

(Oh, also, drag the Core around while unpaused and it will get any enemy ship it passes over)

To use:
Detailed instructions

Open the editor, and go to the "scripts" panel.
Create a new script, hit edit, paste the code in, and save it.
Go back to the editor and hit compile.
Insert a PRPL Core in the same way as an amp factory
Select it and add the script.
Select the script from the drop-down, and change "Angle" to whatever you are after.
[close]

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 20, 2016, 07:14:31 PM

<-Ships[I] ->Ship
<-Ship.ShipIsEnemy if
endif
loop

Timed it... under two min, but I don't recall which minute I started on, so it may by 0:55 or 1:55. Now to check the commands and prettify.

See, I write these so that my five minutes can save you half an hour. And the script is reusable.

(Oh, also, drag the Core around while unpaused and it will get any enemy ship it passes over)

To use:
Detailed instructions

Select the script from the drop-down, and change "Angle" to whatever you are after.
[close]

Really? That just took you five minutes? I don't know why, I expected it to take much longer... and be much more complicated but, this looks fairly simple...

Well, I guess thanks for doing that! I'll probably have this map done by the time I go to bed, if there aren't any other complications, maybe even sooner if i'm not lazy!

EDIT: Or maybe the map could be waaayyy to big. I have to restart the entire thing now :)

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 20, 2016, 07:14:31 PM

<-Ships[I] ->Ship
<-Ship.ShipIsEnemy if
endif
loop

To use:
Detailed instructions

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

It works perfect oml ily!!!

GoodMorning

Don't forget to remove the Core.

Dark Ambition

Ik, that core is long gone already :P