[Suggestion] Ship Warp-In Option

Started by Keeper Decagon, October 14, 2016, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper Decagon

My idea is basically an option that allows certain ships to be designated to "Warp-in" on beginning a map rather than having to be built first or having them placed on the map already. This'd be interesting for bringing a ready-made fleet into engagements straight away rather than needing a bunch of downtime to build the fleet first, speeding the first part of a map up considerably. This could also allow for maps with steeper initial difficulty curves, making way for some epic battles right out of the gate rather than some time later.

Warp-in would only work at the start of a map, and to balance it, can only be used to bring ships in near the HQ itself, rather than anywhere. That way people can still pick where to warp in, but not just throw a ship anywhere and win the map super quickly or whatever.

Anyways, tell me what you think.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

The mapmaker can pre-build ships to help with this kind of thing.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on October 14, 2016, 10:37:57 AM
The mapmaker can pre-build ships to help with this kind of thing.

True, but that kinda forces a starting location on a player. If you could warp them in with your HQ, then it's up to the player to suss out where the best place to start is. Kinda gives them more room for their own strategies, if you will.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

yum-forum

Maybe interesting if player can put in any place 1-3 pre-builded custom ships (for example, big size).  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Builder17

Place prebuild ships to all starting locations?

And after player lands HQ to one of these places , other start places lose ships in these? :-\

yum-forum

Quote from: Builder17 on October 14, 2016, 02:27:27 PM

And after player lands HQ to one of these places , other start places lose ships in these? :-\

No. Pre-build means as HQ (can be additional button as OMNI). One type big custom ship possible place in any point in addition to HQ.
Together!  :)
last

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: yum-forum on October 14, 2016, 03:33:49 PM

No. Pre-build means as HQ (can be additional button as OMNI). One type big custom ship possible place in any point in addition to HQ.

Yes, this.

I mean, if you're gonna be going around somewhere as dangerous as Redacted Space, you're not just gonna be jumping from system to system by your lonesome, especially a weak and vulnerable HQ. You're gonna want to take a fleet with you (rather than having to rebuild it over and over). Just saying.

yum-forum

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on October 14, 2016, 04:33:45 PM
Quote from: yum-forum on October 14, 2016, 03:33:49 PM

Yes, this.

I mean, if you're gonna be going around somewhere as dangerous as Redacted Space, you're not just gonna be jumping from system to system by your lonesome, especially a weak and vulnerable HQ. You're gonna want to take a fleet with you (rather than having to rebuild it over and over). Just saying.

As joke (fantasy) idea: ship "teleport" (special ship with ability of fleet teleportation). You build in any place "teleport", drag to it ship/fleet and show destination point.  :)
last

Karsten75

This isn't wholly a bad idea and you may very well soon see something along these lines come to a version in near time. :)