Custom Map #2801: Have Cake, Eat Cake. By: Dp

Started by AutoPost, November 15, 2015, 01:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2801: Have Cake, Eat Cake

Author: Dp
Size: 90x90

Desc:
You can have it all but can you keep it? Map designed to make you choose between different resources. Can you save them all? First of a potential three maps, next one will be harder to keep aall resources connected. The 'sea' is blue as is creep for most people, if you struggle with the visuals you may want to change the colour of the creeper in options. in options.

D0m0nik

I may have made it harder than intended  :(

Spoiler
If you are quick you can take out the entire bottom left corner in the first 2-3 minutes!
[close]

Jerdog

The thing is when you make a map to be hard you have to adjust and play test it a few times.  And then you get a feel for it and you know just what to do.  But then we come along to try it and we either have to get wiped out a few frustrating times or just skip it.

I'll admit some of my maps have a bit of this.

I prefer maps where they are easy enough that you don't get wiped.  The challenge is in the speed.

Johnny Haywire

I tend to play a more relaxed method. I don't like to rush games if I can help it because that feels too much like work. I found this map challenging, but after the third try of doing it the way it seems like it should be done, I decided to try what I think is a more laid-back way. With this particular approach, I found the map significantly easier - but that could be because I'd just opened a fresh bag of my favorite potato chips. I like this map, as well as all of Dom's (Dp's) maps. It's challenging, different, small, and able to be finished using a variety of strategies.

Spoiler
Maybe not a spoiler, but I used one guppy for the forge then built another guppy for the totems since my relays seemed to die. I totally abandoned the idea of trying to grab the reactors in the corner and decided instead to put a mortar in the right PZ then just kinda hunkered down for a long fight. If you do this, you'll need mortars & beams by the forge & totems. Feel free to make fun of me for taking the easy way out, btw.
[close]

I might try to do the map Dom's way next time. The guy definitely knows what he's doing. Now if only the REST of us knew what he was doing...  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

D0m0nik

Glad you got through it Johnny!

My technique for this map was:

Spoiler

Relays up to top right with one cannon set to digitalis, had to be supported eventually with another cannon or a mortar

Mortar and guppy top left

Right PZ initially housed a reactor and then switched to mortar

Relays to bottom right supported by two initial mortars

I also moved bottom left very quickly and took out the whole corner with 3 cannons and one mortar
[close]

Johnny Haywire

I rarely play a map twice or go for a faster time. But hey, why not? I tried your way and although it was less relaxing than my way it's certainly faster. Still didn't beat your time, but meh... I don't view this game as any kind of competition. Thx for the tip and for the map, mate!  ;)

D0m0nik

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on December 03, 2015, 08:14:47 PM
but meh... I don't view this game as any kind of competition.

That's right, it's war!!!!  ;)

Johnny Haywire

Ahh, you don't know how much I wish that were the case... a PvP version of this would be the pwnzor-meister. Not that I'd anticipate dominating everyone but hey, it'd be fun losing every now and then... maybe.  ::)