Custom Map #2636: Corner the Ore Market. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, October 07, 2015, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2636: Corner the Ore Market

Author: stdout
Size: 101x101

Desc:
The humans have created a strange array in the outer reaches of the Daventry system, and are using it to mine vast quantities of ore through subspace connections. What they have in mind with a stockpile of this magnitude is anybody's guess, but we cannot permit them to continue. You will launch an assault on this platform, but be prepared for a big fight. They are armed to the teeth and will use their ore to their advantage. Crush them under the weight of the fury of the Loki hive. #PlayAsCreeper

isj4

Good map.
Start- and middle-game was tougher than usual stdout maps, but quite enjoyable.
Your puny map is no match for my Turtle Power!

stdout

I was trying my hand at one of those "brick wall" type PAC maps. Some people seem to like them.

I can't believe people are already turning in scores under an hour. I'm going to have to replay and see if I can do the same.

Mozai

No idea how to get started.  I can just get out of the pit but the brazillion turrents keep me there.

mzimmer74

Quote from: Mozai on October 07, 2015, 06:41:50 PM
No idea how to get started.  I can just get out of the pit but the brazillion turrents keep me there.

Here's what I did to get going (although my time isn't great so it might not be the best):
Spoiler

After taking over the PZ to the right of the start I put a spore on it.
Then I set up digitalis around the center and just onto the square to the south.
At that point I set my spore to hit just on the south of the collector in the PZ on the south square.
My goal here was to slowly starve a few of the enemies and destroy the forge and the berthas.
Meanwhile I had the push tool trying to send the creeper from my emitter to the south, keeping the canons busy.
This method allowed me to slowly destroy everything to the south and get the first additional square.
I think from there I went West and then I can't remember.
I mostly used spores but also would occasionally use emitters to try to gain ground.
[close]

This is by no means an easy map but it is fun!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

D0m0nik

Great map, not up there with Nuhages for difficulty due to the position of the forge and the mass of PZ's. As a result it is a lot very re-playable. After Nuhages maps I feel like I need a lie down!

Spoiler
You can take out the forge almost straight away, once you have the south square you have 3 new spores, form there the west side of the map can be conquered fairly easily. Once the ore is all gone take out the power and your home and dry.

Edit: Just replaying and realised getting the south square is quite a challenge. Once you have taken out the forge keep the beam focused on the same spot to build up a bit of creep, 3 or 4 hits should build up enough to stop the collector from rebuilding and to distract the cannons while you connect the digitalis across the gap.
[close]

stdout

I finally got into the top 10 on the scoreboard. The key really is killing that forge and grabbing those PZs early on.

Portelly

After the Nuhages maps all the PAC maps seems easy. Great fun except my brain who didn't see the first PZ was in a void.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: mzimmer74 on October 07, 2015, 07:00:14 PM
Quote from: Mozai on October 07, 2015, 06:41:50 PM

Here's what I did to get going (although my time isn't great so it might not be the best):
Spoiler

After taking over the PZ to the right of the start I put a spore on it.
Then I set up digitalis around the center and just onto the square to the south.
At that point I set my spore to hit just on the south of the collector in the PZ on the south square.
My goal here was to slowly starve a few of the enemies and destroy the forge and the berthas.
Meanwhile I had the push tool trying to send the creeper from my emitter to the south, keeping the canons busy.
This method allowed me to slowly destroy everything to the south and get the first additional square.
I think from there I went West and then I can't remember.
I mostly used spores but also would occasionally use emitters to try to gain ground.
[close]

This is by no means an easy map but it is fun!

Exactly what I tried but it's not working.  The berthas and forge are dead but the creeper can't advance against the cannons and damage from the spore heals faster than the reload time on the spore.

D0m0nik

Hey Loren

Spoiler
Once you have killed the forge keep landing a few more spores where the forge was. After 3-5 spores there will be enough creeper to stop the emitter from rebuilding and to keep the blasters distracted. Then bridge the gaps between your emitter and the blasters with digitalis. The small gap right next to the blasters can be bridged with 3 spores all the way along. The blasters will then fall very easily. If you would like a screen shot let me know!
[close]

Creeperkingpin

im already past an hour just waiting for enough creeper to spill into the void. help?
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

D0m0nik

Creeperkingpin -

Spoiler
Have you got rid of the forge with your spore?
[close]

mzimmer74

@Creeperkingpin - When you say you are waiting for creeper to spill into the void do you mean from the first starting point?  In case you don't know, the way you get creeper into the void is to use spores and digitalis. If you didn't use the spore tower you get at the very beginning to land a spore on the PZ next to the starting point then there is no way to progress.  Use that first spore, claim the PZ with digitalis, and create a new spore tower to take over the rest of the void.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.