Custom Map #2600: Nuhage N#78. By: Nuhages

Started by AutoPost, September 28, 2015, 11:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2600: Nuhage N#78

Author: Nuhages
Size: 181x61

Desc:
#PAC Have Fun. Feel Free To Rate and comment on Forum. Credits For PaC coding goes to stewbasic, stdout , teknotiss and Hubs. All you need for building a Pac map is on the Forum.

Loren Pechtel

As usual you have defeated me.  I've got the third row and can't touch the 4th.

ak

Found it very difficult (and aggravating) to get to the PZ mortar.  But the end was so satisfying that I have to forgive you  ;)

Spoiler
Keeping 3 emitters and launching everything else at the beam was juuust enough.  Once the beam went down, I could knock out the power supply.  Not sure if that's the easiest way to finish, but I enjoyed it.
[close]

Is there a non-frustrating way to get to the PZ mortar?  I feel like it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes :)

isj4

Quote from: ak on September 29, 2015, 02:57:25 PM
Is there a non-frustrating way to get to the PZ mortar?

I slowly surrounded the PZ cannons with digitals to keep them occupied. Then I could push toward the PZ mortar without to much difficulty
Your puny map is no match for my Turtle Power!

D0m0nik

RrRs score is pretty amazing, looks like he found a rare hole in a Nuhages map!

I found this one of the most frustrating yet but I love all of Nuhages maps. I always think there is a shortcut and get stuck trying to exploit one only to go back to the realisation that you just have to thoroughly and patiently conquer each part of the map in order. Never stops me trying to find a quick way through though! Was there a hole in this one or just a great technique RrR?

RrR

Quote from: D0m0nik on September 30, 2015, 03:42:31 AM

I don't think there is a hole, at least not a major one, and I think I am playing the map as intended.

Most important trick
Spoiler
use "n" when trying to capture one of the difficult PZ. The digitalis might only be live for a single frame.
[close]

Other hints
Spoiler
put a spore tower on the first PZ captured. Before it is nullified you should have laid digitalis across the void which helps grap more of the PZs.
Advance digitalis evenly across the map to distract the pz cannons - there is technique to doing this and capturing the PZ efficiently - the easiest parts to advance are those furthest back, catch the cannon unaware with sudden changes of direction - distract the cannon with creeper to allow the digitals to grow into the pz.
14 well-timed spores is enough to take out the PZ beam after ~3 cycles. Once the beam is down, the map can be finished in about a minute.
[close]

Nuhages

Quote from: RrR on September 30, 2015, 04:57:02 AM
Quote from: D0m0nik on September 30, 2015, 03:42:31 AM

I don't think there is a hole, at least not a major one, and I think I am playing the map as intended.

Most important trick
Spoiler
use "n" when trying to capture one of the difficult PZ. The digitalis might only be live for a single frame.
[close]

Other hints
Spoiler
put a spore tower on the first PZ captured. Before it is nullified you should have laid digitalis across the void which helps grap more of the PZs.
Advance digitalis evenly across the map to distract the pz cannons - there is technique to doing this and capturing the PZ efficiently - the easiest parts to advance are those furthest back, catch the cannon unaware with sudden changes of direction - distract the cannon with creeper to allow the digitals to grow into the pz.
14 well-timed spores is enough to take out the PZ beam after ~3 cycles. Once the beam is down, the map can be finished in about a minute.
[close]

You are amazing RnR...
I will give you a PAC that you can't solve faster than I can.
I'm working on it.
I made a dream ... was map making on CW4

D0m0nik

I think I played it in a similar manner just took an extra 30 mins, time to have another go I think!

RealAndy

Loved the ending of this map, think it has been covered by othesr but:
Spoiler

To bridge the biggest gap toward the end, land spores about half way across it (or as close as the beam will allow), and use a field on that source of creeper to advance to the PZ's across the gap.

Once you have the 3 PZ's at the front, then change all to spores (except the front 3), and fire them at the very top right of the map, the beam will periodically run out of energy, which will get worse as you destroy reactors.  Then aim the spores at the beam itself and destroy it, then change many of them to target various reactors.

[close]
Again, I've never seen an ending like it, and loved being able to squeeze the energy out of them at the last step.

Freakmeout85

I'm having serious issues on every PAC map...yet to finish one and can't seem to get my head around how to do them properly.
Attached a screen of how far I've gotten into the map, and that's after 1 hrs and around 18 mins of trying to get the flow of the creeper where I want it to go w/o dying out near a PZ, emitters supporting one another, and so on.
Cheers,

teknotiss

Quote from: Freakmeout85 on October 01, 2015, 10:06:09 AM
I'm having serious issues on every PAC map...yet to finish one and can't seem to get my head around how to do them properly.
Attached a screen of how far I've gotten into the map, and that's after 1 hrs and around 18 mins of trying to get the flow of the creeper where I want it to go w/o dying out near a PZ, emitters supporting one another, and so on.
Cheers,

well i would suggest waiting to do nuhages maps then.
try to get a score on stdouts original or one of hubs' maps, then come back to these ones.
even experienced PAC players have a hard time with these ones! ::) 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

RrR

Quote from: Freakmeout85 on October 01, 2015, 10:06:09 AM
Cheers,

A Nuhages map is perhaps not the best place to start - they are usually only just possible and sometimes (though not in this case) almost impossible if you don't move fast enough.

You are at the hardest part of the map, but very close to capturing one of the next row of PZ, which will make it easier to capture the others. I don't think the spore tower will do you much good. My tactic once I had the map looking like this was to
Spoiler
make all six emitters support the second one from the bottom (or top) in pulse mode. Push creeper towards the mortar for about ten seconds, then suddenly push towards the PZ. You will need to use pause to convert the creeper to digitalis. If you get digitalis over the pz, push the creeper towards a different part of the front, and advance one frame at a time with the "n" key until the digitalis is live.
[close]

D0m0nik

Freakmeout85 - Def one of the harder maps to learn on.

Try one of these:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=18011

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=19106

They are both a lot easier.

Can I just check -  do you know that if you select an emitter or beam and press 'shift x' you can delete it and put a different unit down. I didn't for a while and it changed everything! A lot of maps require to repeatedly switch your units.

Freakmeout85

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 01, 2015, 12:29:51 PM
Freakmeout85 - Def one of the harder maps to learn on.

Can I just check -  do you know that if you select an emitter or beam and press 'shift x' you can delete it and put a different unit down. I didn't for a while and it changed everything! A lot of maps require to repeatedly switch your units.

Yeah D0m0nik, I had a hard time with the "tutorial" part of it, then realized that pressing "H" while having 1,2,3,4 selected one by one actually explains every shortcut in the game, including shift-x for deleting stuff I had placed.
Banged my head with that spore tower built, then deleted it and made another emitter, which got me a bit closer to the lower PZ, managing to cover around 3/9 in digitalis, although it's not fueled by creeper most of the times 'cause of the blaster on the PZ that's annoying as hell.

I didn't really "start" on this specific map, I tried other PAC maps in the past ( might have also been nuhages's, I can't really remember) but got stuck at certain places where, just like on this one, you had to push the limit in order to get the next PZ, which, obviously, would make my life a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the help, i'll keep banging my head against the wall on this one 'til I get it done, even if it seems hard as hell, I'd rather not just give up yet.

Edit 1: Banging my head against the wall apparently helped ( RrR's "spoiler" helped a lot aswell); got 3/4 of the map covered atm, working on the final row !

Edit 2 : Finally managed to end my torment after 2 hrs and 4 mins.... reckon it would've gone a lot faster if I knew how to do stuff BEFORE 1 hr and 10 mins had already passed and I was still at the "tough" bit of the map. ahwell, live n learn I reckon

D0m0nik

Good work, if you can complete this one you can complete any of the map!