Custom Map #490: Hole in One. By: Hayden Kinsman

Started by AutoPost, April 25, 2014, 07:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #490: Hole in One

Author: Hayden Kinsman
Size: 132x97

Desc:
My third map. This is a mini golf themed map! A chosen path is laid out for you and you have to get through it as fast as possible before the creeper gets too strong. It's somewhat challenging if you don't know what you're doing. More details will be in the forum post.

Hayden Kinsman

So, this is my third map. It took hours and hours to make. It probably isn't even all THAT great anyway. I'm pretty happy with it, but it was so frustrating that I had to keep restarting for testing purposes.

Anyway, it was a challenge for me until I learned the best spots to place my blasters.
I'm going to be linking a YouTube video of me completing it in this post once I finish rendering and uploading it.
I hope you all enjoy it. I really just made the map for fun, as a bit of a quirky challenge. Not sure if there are any exploits, I couldn't personally find any.

Tell me what you think :)

Edit: Completely forgot to include the main details!

You only get blasters, collectors, and ONE nullifier, which you must collect. You start off with two blasters, and work your way up to four by the end of the mission.
Along the way you can collect a relay to shorten the path for your packets to travel.

The second relay was there for me to test something, but it didn't work out. I show it in the video. That's the only point where I used a save game, just for testing purposes. I also did save the game a few times, just in case, because I had tested the map tens of times. I'm really happy with how it all turned out, though, and I'll link the video real soon.

Also, there is no CRPL in this. I still don't know how to code with that, unfortunately. I hope to learn. But no promises.

*Also, no one would probably have noticed, but all map textures in this level are custom. Made 'em my self. :)

The YouTube video is up!

MadMag

Very fun map, but I wish I had (more) relays a little sooner because I got a little bored waiting for the arrival of the packets :)

It is nice to see that you make your own terrain textures!

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: MadMag on April 25, 2014, 02:21:50 PM
Very fun map, but I wish I had (more) relays a little sooner because I got a little bored waiting for the arrival of the packets :)

Second this.  The delay from shipping unupgraded packets through collectors adds nothing to the map.

Also, the last hole doesn't work--the creeper just sits there in it's hole for you to come up and nullify.  It can't get out of the hole.

Hayden Kinsman

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on April 25, 2014, 06:43:47 PM
Also, the last hole doesn't work--the creeper just sits there in it's hole for you to come up and nullify.  It can't get out of the hole.

Yes, I noticed this after a while, I've no idea what happened.. Still, I'm only just recently learning to play with the level editor. I hope to be able to deal with issues like this in future maps.

Quote from: MadMag on April 25, 2014, 02:21:50 PM

Believe me, I tried to find a way to fit relays in, but every way I tried to, it allowed exploits that let you skip across the entire map and win easy. I dedicated about an hour and a half of testing to working out the relay situation. I just decided that the packet speed had to be a part of the challenge. I wish I could have worked it out better. If you have any tricks I could use to add more relays onto the map without exploitation, please share, I really enjoy making maps like these, I'd like to be able to fix the issue in future maps like it.

Yeah, I decided that I wanted to experiment with the custom textures and it was really fun. I probably could have made the level look exactly the same with default textures and brightness settings, but oh well. I intend on making more complex textures in the future. Hopefully!

Thanks for the criticism :) It's nice to know you still liked the map. I was honestly quite worried about whether people would like it, because I put about half a day into making it, and it's only a 20-40 minute map :P

NextIdea

I don't know what plans you had with relays, but if you just want to make them speed up the packets while near the edge of the track I think you could do some scripts for it so it won't let you build them to random places or something.

As for the current relay count, you can't skip the map, but later you can still make them skip some parts.

Using some tricks you can still kinda skip some parts :P (Look scores).

Oh and the last emitters, I think they are too weak or something, not a master of the game, but if they are weak then the total level of the creeper won't go very high.

Hayden Kinsman

Quote from: NextIdea on April 26, 2014, 01:44:45 PM
I don't know what plans you had with relays, but if you just want to make them speed up the packets while near the edge of the track I think you could do some scripts for it so it won't let you build them to random places or something.

As for the current relay count, you can't skip the map, but later you can still make them skip some parts.

Using some tricks you can still kinda skip some parts :P (Look scores).

Oh and the last emitters, I think they are too weak or something, not a master of the game, but if they are weak then the total level of the creeper won't go very high.

I don't know how to script, that's the problem. :( I was thinking to my self while I was making the map how much better and easier it would be if I could script.

Also, I wanted to make the emitters weaker because they were too overwhelming the way I had them before. But when I changed them, I was so frustrated from how long I'd been doing it that I forgot to let the map run and see whether it'd actually work. My mistake.

Still, I'm happy with the way that the map has turned out. I definitely hope to do better work on any future maps I make, though.
For now, I'm a little burnt out from the frustration that this map caused me, but I think I'll get back on the wagon within the coming days.

planetfall

Quote from: Hayden Kinsman on April 26, 2014, 02:22:29 AM

Yes, I noticed this after a while, I've no idea what happened.. Still, I'm only just recently learning to play with the level editor. I hope to be able to deal with issues like this in future maps.

Emitters don't add their amount of creeper, they replace whatever amount of creeper is on their cell with their amount of creeper. So if you have an amt 3 or less emitter in a 3-deep hole it will never overflow the hole.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

teknotiss

Quote from: planetfall on April 26, 2014, 10:40:39 PM
Quote from: Hayden Kinsman on April 26, 2014, 02:22:29 AM

Emitters don't add their amount of creeper, they replace whatever amount of creeper is on their cell with their amount of creeper. So if you have an amt 3 or less emitter in a 3-deep hole it will never overflow the hole.

correct, it's a limiting effect, the emitters will effectively "suck" excess creeper. i used this effect in my creeper craters map to create "pockets" of creeper. so an emitter strength 9 in a pit will never be able to overflow level 10 terrain, but a 10+ will
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hayden Kinsman

Oh! That's REALLY helpful to know! Thank you :)

I might be able to use that to my advantage in future maps.

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

pawel345

The build in emitters have the SetCreeperNoLower command, so they set their cell to the amount they are supposed to but they don't lower if there is more.
CRPL cores with AddCreeeper will simply increase the amount of creeper in their cell by a set amount.
CRPL cores with the SetCreeper will set the amount of creeeper to a set amount, so they will lower the level if there is more.

Cat

Perhaps you should have made the forge be there from the start? You could always set limits on everything but packet speed to 0, and negate the need for relays entirely. That along with fixing the emitters would, in my opinion, make this a pretty solid map.