CS Map Images

Started by Clean0nion, March 12, 2014, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

I will soon* be uploading a map of which the majority will be entirely black. I have my reasons; this is how the map will work**.
The default image for this map, therefore, is going to be PLAIN and ENTIRELY UNINTERESTING.

So - can I modify it, or even better, replace it entirely? I know how to do this (512x512 image named "screenshot" in the folder) but the question is, is it permitted?

*Ha. As if.
**Those who know about my project - no spoilers please! So that probably refers to everyone who frequents the chat

Clean0nion

Quote from: MadMag on March 14, 2014, 06:45:11 PM
Go for it! it is legal :)

You "must" make a 256x256 image seamless and just paste the whole BG.
The tricky part is the fitting of the 256x256 images..

you could also just sterch a "black" image all over the BG, if it is single color it will look good no mather what.

A star map can also be streched and look good if you lover the opacity.
I know I can just add images to the map, but when the map is finalised, it generates a 512x512 image named "screenshot" that is used as the Colonial Space preview image when the map's uploaded. I just want to change that image, because it's possible to simply replace that with something else.

Karsten75

So you want to provide and image that has not been generated from the map itself? People looking at the preview won't know what the map contains? I guess you can do it, but if it gets reported and then redacted - don't complain. :)

Clean0nion

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 14, 2014, 07:44:56 PM
So you want to provide and image that has not been generated from the map itself? People looking at the preview won't know what the map contains? I guess you can do it, but if it gets reported and then redacted - don't complain. :)
I'll take that as a yes, then. The regular image would actually give less information, so... yeah.

MadMag

It is not that easy to change.. As far as I know your map will not be submitted if you alter the image after pressing FINALIZED.

knucracker

If you want to do it, you have to alter the screenshot.jpg file that will be found in the finalized directory.  It will be beside the missions cw3 file.  That image gets generated by the game when you finalize a map and it gets uploaded along side the map file.  So you can change that file.  You can't touch the map itself or the resulting cw3 file will be altered.  But the separate screenshot.jpg is fine. 

As said, though, if you goof it up and make it not be helpful then the map will get reported most likely.  So make sure any changes you make are helpful.