Custom Map #154: Deimos II. By: Lost in Nowhere

Started by AutoPost, January 26, 2014, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #154: Deimos II

Author: Lost in Nowhere
Size: 120x120

Desc:
An experimental map to see exactly how the size of maps affects the difficulty. This is the second one, at 75% of the size and the exact same enemies.

Lost in Nowhere

There was also a third map that was even smaller... I could not get anywhere near defeating it.
Don't die! :)

Helper

Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on January 26, 2014, 06:25:37 PM
There was also a third map that was even smaller... I could not get anywhere near defeating it.

Post it here: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?board=32.0
Maybe someone else can make a run at it and get a score for you.
I liked this one better than the first and would like to try the third one.

Lost in Nowhere

I'll just put it here...
My issues with completing it are that creeper floods into the center area far too quickly to build up a defense, and the spores then cause death.
As far as I can tell, it's impossible or very close to being so.

Edit- attached wrong file earlier...
Don't die! :)

Helper

I'm pretty sure it is doable.
Here are some screenshots of my first attempt.
They are taken at 1:00, 3:29, 6:15, and 7:41.
I've already made several mistakes and could/should have had at least one more weapon and Reactor.
I just saved and will continue in the morning.

Helper

Well shucks - I did not save the game and it kept running while I did the previous post.
Some time today I'll try to fire it up again.

Altren

Decided to try Deimos III and finished it after second try. It took 51:45.
Can't say it was hard, but it was quiet boring due to very slow start and ending. Here is how I completed it:
Spoiler
I never tried to expand, even away from first hill. Build Reactor, then build terp below the hill, terraform some higher ground for terp and move it higher. Then slowly increase area where I can build by terraforming, using only one mortar that shoots unfrequently, then shield for easier expanding with terps.
[close]
But it was harder than bigger maps, because you don't have a choice to expand early.